Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• Hi,

This is my first post here and I thought I'd better ask before ordering a box...

I am using the Nvidia Shield at the moment running Plex but I must admit that I'd prefer to have a dedicated client running openpht-embedded because it's a nicer interface and takes the menu options out of the equation for the rest of the family.

I am only interested in watching films from my NAS running a Plex server, but I do need 4K and HDR support, and a gigabit port obviously.

If i understand correctly, the VORKE Z6 can run openpht-embedded and also has the correct processor for 4k/HDR playback?

Thanks in advance.

• No difference between U9-H (official name) and U9.

People just are tired of writing the extra „-H“.

4K & HDR are really really good on the U9 with Libreelec Build modified by wrxtasy.

• No difference between U9-H (official name) and U9.

People just are tired of writing the extra „-H“.

4K & HDR are really really good on the U9 with Libreelec Build modified by wrxtasy.

Alright, thanks! Is there any guide available how to choose the right image, and do people dual boot with android or delete Android altogether?

• Regarding:

and:

Which build modified by wrxtasy are you referring to? The following community builds are available for AM912 afaik:

[STABLE] LibreELEC 8.2 (Kodi 17 Krypton) community builds from kszaq:

LibreELEC 8.2 for S912

[Pre-alpha] LibreELEC 9.0 (Kodi 18 Leia) community builds from afl1 and adamg:

LibreELEC 9.x for S905/S905X/S912

[DISCONTINUED] LibreELEC 8.0 (Kodi 17 Krypton) with drivers for built-in DVB tuners from afl1:

LibreELEC 8.0 builds for KIII Pro (S912)

Thanks in advance :)

• sw4y thanks! Didn't know about that one! I'm using 8.9.0.4 on internal storage, mainly for the UHD bluray ISO support. Therefore i'm only following this thread and the 8.9.x. thread.

4K/HDR seems to be working good on 8.9.0.4, apart from a microstutter when using external subtitles. Afaik every 8.x.x. build has this problem, no solution is available.

I could test the build from wrxtasy using the USB stick. I will try it later. Thanks for the tip! :)

• Has the newer version of the MeCool M8S Pro L a better remote? Perhaps with Bluetooth? Does anyone has this one?

Old version is good with LE, but with a Xiaomi Remote it doesnt work under the Android System.

Edited once, last by blindhai (March 2, 2018 at 10:28 PM).

• Had to play a Blu-ray 3d rip (MVC), what a shocker to find out that it works on RPi3, or on PC using a patched version of Kodi. But on Rpi3 - - No HD audio bitstreaming - so it`s still not perfect.

God damn, after ditching the Rpi3 for H96 pro+ and using heavily the latter for months I `d thought it could do almost anything :) Limitation seem to be though on the Kodi.

So in case just if somebody ever will want to watch a blu-ray 3d MVC have in mind:

Kodi does not yet support software video decoding of MVC (Multiview Video Coding) encoded 3D videos, which is the format most commonly used in raw Blu-ray 3D backups/rips (and on original Blu-ray Disc media with stereoscopic video.

However, hardware decoding of MVC (Multiview Video Coding) encoded 3D videos is supported in Kodi on some platforms/operating-systems if the device drivers and hardware supports it, like it does for the Raspberry Pi. For hardware decoding Kodi relies on the SoC/VPU/GPU chipset hardware manufacturer to add support for this to their SDK (Software Developer Kits) and for the media player box manufacturers to implement that into their API, firmware, kernel, and/or device drivers images as needed.

Anyway, not even sure who still be watching 3d Tv/Movies on Tv in 2018 but me...

• Has the newer version of the MeCool M8S Pro L a better remote? Perhaps with Bluetooth? Does anyone has this one?

Old version is good with LE, but with a Xiaomi Remote it doesnt work under the Android System.

I have the newest "L" box with the Bluetooth Voice Remote and it is awesome in Android. I have not tested that remote with LibreELEC yet, so don't know if it functions correctly. The remote is a combo Bluetooth/IR remote, slightly better than my Xiaomi Mibox remote.

Edit: Made a video yesterday for people that wanted to know how the Bluetooth on the Mecool box worked... But again, have not tried this remote with LibreELEC, guess I should get off my lazy butt and try it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is no support for using the mic in BT remotes on LE because there is nothing native in Linux to process the audio stream (or redirect it to somewhere for processing). It works under Android because Android has an OS-level API for voice processing.

Thanks for that info, I have been too lazy to test this remote Bluetooth/IR combo remote, in LibreELEC, for the discrete inputs.

• Does anyone know if there are any differences between the TX7 and the TX5? As far as I can see all the specs apart from size are the same. The TX& does have an external antenna as well. Do they use the same wifi chip? Will the TX5 wifi be supported?

• Do they use the same wifi chip? Will the TX5 wifi be supported?

TX5 came out with 2 different wifi modules

WiFi/BT Module: 6255

WiFi/BT Module: 9377

Tx7

WiFi/BT Module: 6255

TX7 Nougat Android has a working adjust refresh rate using SPMC Jarvis and SPMC Development Krypton.

Using official Kodi Krypton it does not work. It's a mess.

• Thanks kostaman. Do you know if both wifi modules are working with LE? Also is the TX5 the same as the TX5 Pro?

Thanks