Posts by chewitt

    Plex is in the Matrix repo but last time I tried it the add-on locked up the box. You might want to check the Kodi forum support thread for the add-on.

    I have no opinion on which one as it's several years since I used Intel hardware. I'm basing the recommendation on the hardware I see being actively used and developed on by the Intel graphics devs who have access to the Kodi team chat. They also still work on Gemini Lake.

    I'm not a fan of older Pi hardware as compared to a previous Intel board (Xtreamer Ultra 2) and Amlogic hardware it always felt underpowered. I have no real complaints with RPi4 though.

    I asked about that in a other post and was told that it was not supported by LibreElec at all but Kodi Android would support it.

    My plan was to get a nVidia Shield Pro but if not supported by LibreElec then that's no godd. :(

    nVidia Shield / Shield Pro is the Team Kodi reference device for Android so in the past we've never bothered to investigate support, and in the future it becomes technically impossible (or complicated beyond the point where it's worthwhile) because the nVidia video driver stack isn't compatible with the GBM/V4L2 direction Kodi is taking for Linux. Android is not without occasional faults in Kodi, but the main issues are vendors not following Google API standards. The shield seems to have fewer quirks and is better maintained (has updates) compared to other devices.

    RPi4 .. because while there are many technically superior hardware devices and RPi hardware always has compromises, the level of software support we get from the Pi Foundation developers is second to none; and they care deeply that Kodi runs well on their boards. There are still some feature gaps to plug, but now initial support for HBR audio and HDR are done the number is shrinking quickly and an RPi4 is a solid daily-driver. Or an Intel Tiger-Lake device, as that platform has massive commercial backing and is effectively the reference design for non-ARM things.

    Sorry for this question but did I get this right that the release of LE10 will first be for Generic devices and will be released for other platforms successively after that?

    Nope. It will be released simultaneously for Generic, RPi4, and the current roster of Allwinner and Rockchip devices. Everything else is either still in a developmental state or discontinued.

    Can someone elaborate on why support for raspberry pi 1 is discontinued.

    RPi0/1 devices need to use the older OMX decoder to run well with recent Kodi versions, and support for OMX (and MMAL) no longer exists in K19. Support was removed as part of the long-term cleanup/removal of vendor-proprietary decoding methods in Kodi. The newer GBM/V4L2 video pipeline needs more than 512MB to run well, so we have discontinued support. You can continue using LE 9.2.

    Common mistake #1 is setting the Kodi smbclient "min" to SMBv1 and "max" to SMBv3 because "that covers all options!" but this means Kodi will connect with SMBv2 which is now the smbclient default (as SMBv1 is considered insecure) which is incompatible with the router which only speaks SMBv1. The only way to force Kodi to use SMBv1 is to set both min and max to SMBv1.

    Common mistake #2 is configuring the LE samba (server) share options in the LE settings add-on, which have nothing to do with the Kodi smbclient (client) settings which are in Kodi settings > services > smb client.

    ConnMan (the connection manager) will prefer the strongest signal for the SSID that you're connected to, so the solution is not installing drivers (which you cannot do on LE) but ensuring the 5GHz network has a better signal than 2.4GHz. The workaround is forcing the router to use a different SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels, allowing you to only connect to the 5GHz SSID. There is no way to force it to use 5GHz.

    NB: Their instruction is for installing a .deb package which I guess contains drivers, but this will not work on LE because most of the filesystem you look at is expanded at boot-time from two compressed and read-only files, and you cannot install things inside them.

    The "community" sections were originally created so there was an area for community builders creating unofficial images (for new unsupported H/W) to encourage their efforts and we organised the forum by SoC type to contain things. Over time some of those unofficial efforts became official but the threads didn't relocate and the categories are now sort-of wrong. At some point we need to clean things up a bit :)

    "take note that CODA driver (imx6) is missing the read-back of parsed SPS (I think Philipp never reversed that) and as a side effect, it cannot implement the SOURCE_CHANGE event used to sync after a seek. You'll notice that seeking works reliably on CODA with GStreamer, but that's only made possible as we do hold some workaround implemented by Pengutronix folks (used on Zodiac in-flight systems)"

    ^ This is from one of the Collabora engineers who maintains GStreamer. So lack of seeking is known but needs some non-trivial changes in the drivers to enable it. Half the fun with iMX6 is all the documentation and BSP code is under an oppressive NDA, so despite being one of the best-documented SoCs available you have to reverse-engineer everything under clean-room conditions.

    Best to report the issue to the creator of the add-on that provides access to FRx channels (not LE or OSMC). Most add-ons have a support thread in the Kodi forums.