[RPi4] Unstable Ethernet Connection

• I'm using a RPI4 8GB which is on 24/7, connected only via an ethernet cable, with 12 Beta 2, after running for 24 hours I'm unable to connect using the host name from any linux or android devices; if I go into the Libreelec Configuration Addon the top option on the connection is connect rather than disconnect, implying it's not connected at all, but when you choose the connect option it results in a Input/output error - see attachment log file snippet; the RPI4 is however still accessible using the static IP Address it has been assigned, so it is connected but somehow has lost the ability to be access via the hostname , the only way I've found to resolve the issue is to reboot the RPI4 and all then works until a day passes and then it is again unreachable via the hostname until a further restart; using 12 Beta 1 or 11.0.6 this didn't happen

• I'm using a RPI4 8GB which is on 24/7, connected only via an ethernet cable, with 12 Beta 2, after running for 24 hours I'm unable to connect using the host name from any linux or android devices; if I go into the Libreelec Configuration Addon the top option on the connection is connect rather than disconnect, implying it's not connected at all, but when you choose the connect option it results in a Input/output error - see attachment log file snippet; the RPI4 is however still accessible using the static IP Address it has been assigned, so it is connected but somehow has lost the ability to be access via the hostname , the only way I've found to resolve the issue is to reboot the RPI4 and all then works until a day passes and then it is again unreachable via the hostname until a further restart; using 12 Beta 1 or 11.0.6 this didn't happen

I have the same experience, but using the IPadress works just fine so no big deal.

• booster share a full debug log please.

Thanks for the reply, will get the logs done in the next couple of days, I'm just retesting beta 1, but can confirm the problem exists in the nightly of 21/04.

I should also add for completeness that I rebooted my router which had no affect, but this wasn't a surprise as I noticed since I started using libreelec from version 9 onwards that the reboot of a router also requires the reboot of the libreelec rpi4....

MatteN thanks for confirming:thumbup:yeah the ip address is accessible but not as nice to use and if you change ip address for whatever reason you have to change it everywhere and there is obviously some issue somewhere, which, who knows, may be causing other issues

• Just a quick update, contrary to my initial thoughts :(, the LE 12 Beta 1 also exhibited this behaviour, so for me, 11.0.6 was fine

As there is a pre release LE 12 incoming, githash 4513878, I shall wait for that nightly to be built; I'll install and test this one and I'll link to the log if it fails

• Not sure when this started for me but its been there a while, i have four Pi4 but only one thats on 24/7 and shows this behaviour, maybe i should leave the others on for now and see what happens.

• Not sure when this started for me but its been there a while, i have four Pi4 but only one thats on 24/7 and shows this behaviour, maybe i should leave the others on for now and see what happens.

MatteN pretty sure 11.0.6 was fine, can't remember this scenario occurring; looking at the change logs from 12 beta 2 to the pre release I'd be amazed if the behaviour wasn't still there, I'll confirm after testing once it's been built

If push comes to shove I was thinking I could add a cron to restart in the quiet hours of the morning, I'm running a central mariadb for kodi on this so turning it off would be inconvenient, unless I move the database to my nas

Once the problem triggers you can't do anything with the network connection, the gui thinks it's disconnected as the connect option is available but using that gives the input/output error, and it just hangs when you try to take it down and up via ssh; nothing in the router logs seem to indicate anything's up; as we've both said it is still accessible via the IP Address of course

• Hi, I'm using my RPi4B in a similar way, 24/7, LAN, fixed IP, and didn't notice any similar issue. Maybe the difference is, I'm using a cron job to reboot the RPi every night (early morning). Maybe worth to try it...

• MatteN pretty sure 11.0.6 was fine, can't remember this scenario occurring; looking at the change logs from 12 beta 2 to the pre release I'd be amazed if the behaviour wasn't still there, I'll confirm after testing once it's been built

I'm never on Stable build longer then to the next nightly is released.

• VLouis Yeah, rebooting it every day you will not see the issue, it seems to happen sometime after 24 hours or so. I've installed the LE 12 Pre release from the nightly of the 26/04 now and I'm running the test again with debugging, so will post the log as I'm pretty sure the problem is still there

But in anticipation of it still failing I've got the cron reboot waiting in the wings:), about 3-4am should be about right for me on this I think

• But in anticipation of it still failing I've got the cron reboot waiting in the wings :) , about 3-4am should be about right for me on this I think

I'm using same timeframe, but I have a "reboot sequence", firts reboots the router, then the RPi with the TV server (TVheadend), then the other RPi's, with 10 minutes delay between those. And I think any OS (including the linux too) is good to be rebooted periodically, so then why not every night... Less issues... Less headache.

• And I think any OS (including the linux too) is good to be rebooted periodically, so then why not every night... Less issues... Less headache.

I'm using an RPi3B as an always-on NAS (only Ethernet, Raspberry Pi OS). No periodical reboot needed. It just works. I suggest to figure out, which add-on breaks stable usage.

• Da Flex You must be reading my mind:) yeah was waiting for LE12.0 to come out then I'm going to back that up and give a full Linux OS a go as I want a little more functionality than just Kodi; I'm looking at Manjaro as I already use that elsewhere, but I was also thinking of giving Raspberry Pi OS another blast, I tried it a few years ago but Libreelec peaked my interest more. My synology NAS is 10 years old now, it still works fine, gets no updates though and I'm pretty sure RPI4B consumes less juice, but ultimately an OS allows me more control and flexibility especially needed if I eventually retire my Synology NAS or it dies, whichever comes first:)

Edited once, last by booster (May 3, 2024 at 12:18 PM).

• booster

We currently do internal tests on LE 12. No issues so far. Maybe official release next week. :)

You can configure LE as NAS, or you can autostart Kodi on Raspberry Pi OS.

Yeah LE NAS is a bit limited in the Samba users department when I was looking at it, unfortunately I'd like more control with that, hence the thought of a full OS....saying that I'm still more than happy with LE it does it's job very well, so no great hurry as the Synology is still alive and kicking:)

As regards this issue; if it fails overnight I'll be tempted to do a fresh install, if for nothing else but to rule out any spurious settings; doesn't harm to have a bit of a spring clean now and again:)

• I'm using an RPi3B as an always-on NAS (only Ethernet, Raspberry Pi OS). No periodical reboot needed. It just works. I suggest to figure out, which add-on breaks stable usage.

I'm using only one RPi3B with wifi connection (modded for external antenna) and for a time I struggled with the "invalid wifi key" issue. I find in the log (python script to save log - loaded through favourites menu) some avahi-daemon "lines" when the iwd tried to reconnect... so I disabled the "zeroconf" and added that daily reboot cron job. I know, isn't the professional solution, but looks like it's working for me.

Sorry for offtopic...

• So I had updated to https://test.libreelec.tv/12.0/RPi/RPi4/…-4513878.img.gz 12 pre-release

Before and after this update I noticed, nothing to do with previous or this version, the addon search was causing a crash and reboot, so after this update I deleted /storage/.kodi/userdata/Database/Addons33.db as it appeared to be corrupt, this is ok as it gets recreated after a reboot, all addon data isn't lost, they just need re-enabling again; after the reboot I then re-enabled and updated all my addons; I'd also noticed that the cli argoone40 v1 script no longer worked, it didn't seem to close down rpi4 properly, I've removed this cli script and have installed the addon version 0.0.13 mentioned in RE: [RPi4B] Argon One Case Shutdown - must say the addon is a lot better to manage than the cli IMHO, thanks HarryH

After a few days of testing my Libreelec 12 is functioning as expected; thank you Libereelec team:thumbup::)