Posts by Da Flex

A live stream and a playback from USB stick are two different types of transmission. Content providers want to give the same user experience, but technically it's different.

UPnP AV can do live streaming.

I have never recorded YouTube content, no idea.

For #1 you mean live streaming?

No, just simply stored files. But you probably know that this works.

For live streaming the player usually buffers content to the RAM. An USB stick can't be the source of a stream. A server has to do that, because permanent calculation (transmission protocol handling) has to be done while streaming. An USB stick can't calculate.

Answer 1.: If you have a movie on a connected USB/SD medium, LE will automatically mount it, and you can play it from the "Video" menu.

Answer 2.: Please describe the stream. Does the provider allows to record it?

You did the right hardware tests. Because it works with your other TV, I think the cause is bad HDMI communication of your Sony TV. You don't have a whitelist in your guisettings.xml, because the Sony TV doesn't transmit the possible screen modes, I guess.

If you would try VGA, there will be no whitelist transmission. If you would try DVI <---> HDMI, it would basically work like HDMI, with no whitelist, too.

I had a conversation with another user without whitelist. At the end I gave him a weird idea, but it's still untested.

It is a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD with 64 Gig space

I had it running for years with Kodibuntu...so i assumed it would just work fine with Librelec

It looks like you still have some partitions from your older installation, and LE tries to mount them. Remove those unneeded partitions. If you are not familiar with partition operations, reformat the whole SSD and reinstall LE.

Can you try to play MP3 over USB stick instead of network access?

Which screen resolution do you use when playing MP3?

If you use 4K, your system maybe actually is on it's limit, because the screen grabs all the resources.

I know this may be a bit off topic, but a few questions.

is there a reason one cant do the LE upgrade on a USB stick rather than sd?

Regards USB stick, how do they stand up to having an os installed.? I have need to install linux to a new drive yearly (read tax dates) and would like to just swap out old for new, each new fin. year, so keeping that year intact.

To my limited knowledge, USB sticks and SD cards have no big difference in lifetime. They both last long, if they are just read.

If you run Linux on a USB / SD medium, the interesting point is what data Linux writes back to that medium. A Linux system can be configured to write temporary data to the RAM instead of USB / SD. That's good for the lifetime of the medium. I think the Linux of LE does as much as it can to avoid writing data back to the storage medium. That's why I would keep a MicroSD for that special Linux.

Other Linux systems write a lot of temporary data to the permanent storage medium. No problem for SSD, but bad for USB sticks or SD cards.

Do you mean that I should insert manually this line :

Code
    1. <setting id="videoscreen.whitelist">0192001080060.00000pstd,0192001080050.00000pstd,0128000720060.00000pstd,0128000720050.00000pstd</setting>

To be precise, insert / edit the content of this XML tag into your existing empty XML tag.

The content is:

Code
    1. 0192001080060.00000pstd,0192001080050.00000pstd,0128000720060.00000pstd,0128000720050.00000pstd

You can see four comma-divided values. The relevant numbers are before the point. For value one "0192001080060" is relevant. It means a resolution of 1920x1080 and a vertical frequency of 60Hz. Now you can insert all data, which your screen supports (see your manual).

The selected (in-use) value of the described whitelist is stored here:

Code
    1. <setting id="videoscreen.screenmode" default="true">DESKTOP</setting>

The value "DESKTOP" means 720p / 50Hz (last value of my whitelist). You can replace that value by any value of your whitelist.

Hopefully Kodi will not overwrite your edited guisettings.xml (store a backup). If it does, maybe removing the write permission for that file could help.

I have been tried a Raspberry Pi with LE on my DVI monitor, and it worked fine with a DVI <---> HDMI adapter. But maybe your screen simply doesn't send any data from it's DE-15 output to Kodi.

So, what could you do in that case? You could insert the data by yourself. You need to know the resolution and the vertical frequency of your screen. Here is my guisettings.xml. Try to adapt it for your needs.