LibreELEC 12 Beta2 won't run on Intel NUC7i3

• Hello,

I wanted to check out the latest LibreELEC Beta2 (x86-Generic) and it won't work for me on the Intel NUC7i3.
    Is this the right place to report Beta-Problems?

I tried the following installations:

- Update from running LibreELEC 11 => wont't boot
    - Clean install from USB-Stick to NVme-Drive in the NUC => won't boot
    - Running directly from USB-Stick, using USB-Stick as Storage => won't boot

When trying to manually going to /EFI/BOOT and booting via bootx64.efi (executing bootx64.efi) the NUC won't do anything an just sit there in the EFI-Shell until I have to reset the computer.

The fs-resize.log in the USB-Stick has the follwing content:

2024-04-25T13:16:59+00:00
    /dev/sda2 /storage ext4 rw,noatime 0 0
    DISK: /dev/sda PART: /dev/sda2
    *** parted -s -f -m /dev/sda resizepart 2 100% >>/flash/fs-resize.log 2>&1
    Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears to be used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 60610560 blocks) or continue with the current setting?
    Fixing, due to --fix
    *** e2fsck -f -p /dev/sda2 >>/flash/fs-resize.log 2>&1
    STORAGE: 11/8192 files (0.0% non-contiguous), 6938/32768 blocks
    *** resize2fs /dev/sda2 >>/flash/fs-resize.log 2>&1
    resize2fs 1.47.0 (5-Feb-2023)
    Resizing the filesystem on /dev/sda2 to 30339052 (1k) blocks.
    The filesystem on /dev/sda2 is now 30339052 (1k) blocks long.

SecureBoot is disabled in the BIOS and the NUC is working fine with LibreELEC 11.
    Any ideas, what might be causing the problems?

Best Regard

Richard

• The update process does not touch the bootloader or partitioning/filesystems so for an LE11 > LE12 update to fail something would have to go wrong during kernel boot; which is normally visible on-screen (the kernel outputs something).

If not, reinstall LE11 then make /flash read-write with "mount -o remount,rw /flash" and then edit /flash/syslinux.cfg to remove "quiet" from params, then save/exit and reboot. You should now see the system log on-screen during boot. Next redo the LE12 update and take a video using a smartphone in slow-motion mode to see errors (or the point boot stops) on screen. Upload/share the video somewhere so we can review it.

• Thanks for your help.

I tried to reproduce the problem on my spare-NUC7 and was not able to (the update installed just fine).
    After some debugging, I was able to boot the LibeELEC 12 USB-Stick on my primary NUC7.

For some reason, I had to enable "Legacy Boot" in the BIOS. After that the Upgrade from 11 => 12 also went just fine.

And after the Update I was even able to disable "Legacy Boot" and the LE 12 Installation still boots fine.

So... :)
    Thanks for your efforts and the time you invest for this great OS.