usb hdds not mounting after restart

• Hello everyone!

So I'm having this issue that started a few days ago and I'm unable to figure it out why both my usb hdds aren't mounting after restart.

What I'm running: LibreELEC nightly-20220426-d546803 on a RPi4 8gb with two self-powered WD MyBook 16Tb hdds, with one NTFS partition each, hooked to a self-powered Anker usb3 hub.

What happens: it started with just a delay in mounting the hdds at start but after a day or two they wouldn't get mounted at all.

What I do: first I tried just unhooking the drives and plugging them back in but that did nothing except a notification in Kodi saying the drives have been removed. Did the same but with the power cable to the hdds, same result. Tried different usb ports in the hub too but no dice. So I thought: the drives have issues. So I plugged them to my macbook and used Tuxera to do a check but no errors were found and I can open files in both drives fine so I plug them back in and presto, they're detected.

Now I've had to do this 12 times so far as I boot between Retropie and LibreELEC often. In Retropie the drives are mounted fine every time as I run roms off one of them and checked the other one.

Also, I found this post from 2017 in which it's suggested to use exFAT or ext4. Is this still true? I'd like not to have to go that route as I don't have 30Tb around to house my data while I convert partitions 🙈

I see a bunch of undervoltage detected/normalised messages in dmesg, would that have anything to do with this? I haven't had voltage issues before. My psu/rpi aren't even 6 months old.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or if I'm missing something?

Logs: http://ix.io/3WoB

dmesg: http://ix.io/3WoC

Please let me know if I should provide more logs or additional info.

Thanks in advance!

• ✨today with nightly-20220428-2e7f384 it's solved, also no more voltage detected/normalised messages in dmesg✨

yay, thanks devs for your wizardry!

Edited 2 times, last by madalone (April 28, 2022 at 2:25 PM).

• have the same issue here with external 1TB ssd formatted on ntfs.

It works perfectly for some days then it is unmounted by librelec. Even if y reboot, the drive is no more mounted.

When plugged on windows, it is recognised with no problem.

The only solution i found is to format again the storage to have it mou ted on libreelec.

• have the same issue here with external 1TB ssd formatted on ntfs.

It works perfectly for some days then it is unmounted by librelec. Even if y reboot, the drive is no more mounted.

When plugged on windows, it is recognised with no problem.

The only solution i found is to format again the storage to have it mou ted on libreelec.

it's working fine now :)

• I tested the nightly but the problem is that syncthing addon is not provided on libreelec repository for nightly. And i need it.

I think that the corruption of the external disk is due to electrical failure shut down while syncthing is writing data. (Up to 30 GB by file)

I tested ext4 and ntfs partitions and have the same issue after some days of synthing.

Is there a solution to check and repair partition at boot?

Edited once, last by walidbha (May 6, 2022 at 11:11 AM).

• I am having this problem. The drives were there, then not, and now I can't get them mounted.

They work fine in Windows, and I can see eg.

Code
    blkid /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="Seagate Backup Plus Drive" BLOCK_SIZE="512" UUID="02608207608201A1" TYPE="ntfs" PARTLABEL="Basic data partition" PARTUUID="5cb7b5b4-a19a-49c0-bab8-225138d63edd"

But if I try

Code
    mount /dev/sda2 /media/sda2
    mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /media/sda2 failed: Invalid argument

NTFS used to work, and there is a "ntfs3" in /proc/filesystems, but

Code
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /media/sda2
    mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /media/sda2 failed: Invalid argument
    mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /media/sda2 failed: No such device

Same with -t ntfs3.

I am using LibreELEC 10.95.2 on a Mecool M8S Pro+.

• I have the same random mounting of drives. I have a USB 3.0 hub plugged into a RPi4 with six drives on the hub. At first all six would mount. Then only two would mount. Like the OP they work fine in windows. I am running on default code.

I suspect CEC is interfering somehow. Just a WAG.

• As you can see at post #3, reformatting the drive can be a fix. Theory now is that bad file systems cause mounting problems.

To be sure, we need to see logs. So give us logs about your mounting attempts.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • As you can see at post #3, reformatting the drive can be a fix. Theory now is that bad file systems cause mounting problems.

To be sure, we need to see logs. So give us logs about your mounting attempts.

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link

ok will do this . . . first time so will use the kodi log uploader add-on as seems straightforward

• ok will do this . . . first time so will use the kodi log uploader add-on as seems straightforward

ok brought system to my work and reproduced the problem - still not mounting the storage. is there a command to force it? i have used the kodi add-on log uploader and not sure if you have the logs at this point or i paste the url here?

• ok brought system to my work and reproduced the problem - still not mounting the storage. is there a command to force it? i have used the kodi add-on log uploader and not sure if you have the logs at this point or i paste the url here?

you post the url here

• Yes please. ATM we have nothing to work with. No info about hardware, no info about file system, no log file.

ok so i don't have the system here at work but it is a zotac mini-pc about 4 years old with a Celeron processor and an external 1 tb drive from western digital.

here is the log file

hastebin