LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 Beta1

New 4K video capabilities still have plenty of rough edges to be smoothed out, but the Pi Foundation developers have been pushing fixes to the Alpha test team at a phenomenal rate over the last month and that will continue as the userbase expands.

You guys are doing a phenomenal job for the Rasp Pi 4 launch. I've been watching 4k h265 not just at home but at friends houses and even on the work TV.

I've bought 3, and have another one coming for a parent. I have my brothers and sister interested in getting one, and I have a mate who wants a few for him and his friends and family.

Most users wouldn't be interested in this device if it wasn't for your work in particular.

This is a pretty good wave to be riding right now.

• Video playback on rpi4 is still very stuttery as on the previous release ( LibreELEC (Leia) 9.1.002 ALPHA ) hope you guys will address this as it is pretty game breaking.

I’m running LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.501 in my Rpi 4.

I’ve also noticed that some video does not play smoothly. There is judder, jerkyness and stuttering (lost frames?) - The odd thing is that no report whatsoever in kodi.log – the result is very unpleasant to watch.

It happens with 23.976fps material and also live-tv @25fps.

In the first case kodi switches the tv to 23.976fps in the second one to 50fps (as it should be).

Kodi.log reports the correct fps switching.

But Looking to the video playback there’s a lot of strange motion artifacts, as if kodi is processing output to another fps different from the one it is outputting.

I have configured “Adjust Display Refresh Rate” as “start/top”.

TURN AROUNDS:

a)     In version LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.501 this seems to happen only if I have audio with “Allow Pass Trough” enabled. Disabling it, the video runs fine!

b)     In version LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.002, I found a turn around by forcing “Adjust Display Refresh Rate” as “always”.

My TV is a SONY Android TV from 2016.

Note: I also have a RPi 3, with same configurations, in which all goes very smoothly.

Hope this can be fixed in the next releases.

Keep up the great work supporting the Pi 4

;)

• I’ve also noticed that some video does not play smoothly.

More than likely has to do with the file. H264 and H265 are very smooth, but I've noticed with some old and badly/oddly encoded videos there is slight stutters. The pi doesn't seem to break a sweat on the codecs it supports via hardware. Have been thinking about just re-encoding things to h264.

• More than likely has to do with the file. H264 and H265 are very smooth, but I've noticed with some old and badly/oddly encoded videos there is slight stutters. The pi doesn't seem to break a sweat on the codecs it supports via hardware. Have been thinking about just re-encoding things to h264.

Nah. I use exactly the same video files to test this on HTPC/Windows based Kodi 18.4 and on rpi4's latest libreelec. Rpi4 stutters, while on Windows everything is smooth. This stuff is very noticeable when you're used to proper and smooth 23.976fps playback. Rpi3 worked flawlessly with h264 video, so there's definitely some issue here.

• No video after the splash screen/bootloop with RPi3B and LibreELEC 9.1.501 when using composite output instead of HDMI

Since this issue (which was introduced with LibreELEC 9.1.002) isn't still resolved and was mentioned by HiassofT last month and the month before here and here , too, could someone please give an ETA for a patch?

For further investigation, please look into my bug report here

Thank you in advance!

BTW: It's a bit annoying that this beta version with such an issue is offered and installed automatically when the options are checked in the LibreELEC configuration section, and after the reboot, users going this way will see nothing else than a black screen...

• re: stuttery video playback on rpi4

I think I also found a workaround while fiddling with it.

It seems like this is somehow related to audio - when I set the audio output to analogue or hdmi+analogue the video playback is smooth, but when the audio output is set to hdmi only (which is the default) the video playback gets stuttery.

Edited 2 times, last by krobolbus (September 12, 2019 at 5:21 PM).

• That's what i also experience. But diisabling audio passthrough does nothing for me.

The weird thing is that it works completely fine with some h264/h265 1080p(23.976/24fps) files and stutters/skips visibly with others. It was already discussed at the end of the the last announcement post. And i also find nothing in the logs.

• BTW: It's a bit annoying that this beta version with such an issue is offered and installed automatically when the options are checked in the LibreELEC configuration section, and after the reboot, users going this way will see nothing else than a black screen...

It's a beta. Accidents and errors can always happen. You should know that when using test versions. And yes, every bug is annoying, but that's why there are test versions.

A predetermined ETA for a patch is not usually given. All devs work in their own free time, whenever that is.

• More than likely has to do with the file. H264 and H265 are very smooth, but I've noticed with some old and badly/oddly encoded videos there is slight stutters. The pi doesn't seem to break a sweat on the codecs it supports via hardware. Have been thinking about just re-encoding things to h264.

Nope !

The exact same video files working great with pi3.

And it fails also in every live video channel ! (again: ok with pi 3).

And looking into other reports, it seems to be related to this release for pi4.

re: stuttery video playback on rpi4

I think I also found a workaround while fiddling with it.

It seems like this is somehow related to audio - when I set the audio output to analogue or hdmi+analogue the video playback is smooth, but when the audio output is set to hdmi only (which is the default) the video playback gets stuttery.

So:

I've noticed that disabling audio passtrough works ok.

krobolbus also had good response by forcing hdmi+analogue.

Someting at the audio processing level ???

(I hope this would help devs into the right way).

• Don't worry you can use .tar or .img.gz to manual update device from existing installed running build to latest beta as mentioned in Update Libreelec section of wiki. Just ensure you have correct .tar or .img.gz file for your specific device, transfer downloaded file into update folder of device (using your chosen method to transfer file to device) then reboot.

So an .img.gz will NOT scrub the entire disk, just over -write necessary system files?

• So an .img.gz will NOT scrub the entire disk, just over -write necessary system files?

Essentially "update method" updates (or downgrades if updating to an older build) all system files, leaving all users setup information and addons as they are: unless its absloutely neccessary to disable/upgrade a user related addon/item due to incompatabilty with build being installed.

This is why its "recommended/extremely important" to create a backup (and store away from device) using backup options via libreelec settings option.

That way if in unlikely case anything does go wrong with update method, you can get back to previous build you had installed and recover from backup to have everything set-up and working as it was orginally on your device.