LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• Official Post

Source: LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support – LibreELEC

• Official Post

I've been told that RPi4 will support open "static" metadata standards (HDR/HLG) not the commercial "dynamic" ones like Dolby Vision which would require a license fee to be paid on every board sold. Not sure about Atmos audio, but if it requires fees I'd expect the position to be the same. I've asked for a clarification.

• saw the news in my feed and brushed the sleep from my eyes and popped in an order for a 4b, case and (trying so hard not to call it a dongle, lol) the usb-c power adapter thing.

should have had some coffee first as didn't see that there were ram options and went with the 1GB

• A quick heads up: to get 4kp60 output on RPi4 you need to add

Code
    hdmi_enable_4k=1

to config.txt as by default 4k output is limited to 30fps in the firmware.

so long,

Hias

• Is the 1GB model enough for 4Kp60 decoding? My ODROID-C2 seems to be fine with 1GB @4K.

In general, what's the meaning of 2GB/4GB models apart for desktop applications usages?

• I'd recommend getting the 2GB model for 4k, with 1GB memory is a bit tight ATM (this may change in the future with further improvements to the firmware and video driver).

so long,

Hias

• Official Post

VP9: "Currently software decode only. There is a hardware block that can do vp9 bitstream (cabac style) acceleration but the pixel operations need software decode which is the majority of the work." .. my 2c is that VP9 is never seen beyond YouTube which almost always has other (hardware decode supported) streams so it's probably not high on the list of things to spend time upon.

• VP9: "Currently software decode only. There is a hardware block that can do vp9 bitstream (cabac style) acceleration but the pixel operations need software decode which is the majority of the work." .. my 2c is that VP9 is never seen beyond YouTube which almost always has other (hardware decode supported) streams so it's probably not high on the list of things to spend time upon.

Thanks, yeah it's videos from youtube where I'd need it. I think I'll hold out for a bit and see how things go. Sounds like a great device otherwise.

• Super excited about this release.

Hoping for bit streaming HD surround and the USB3 and Ethernet port are a great add.
    Will make it much more feasible to use a Pi to share files from a external HDD on the local network.

Good for installations where a dedicated NAS would be too pricy

• Is it possible to start the Pi 4 via HDMI-CEC looks like Odroid-C2/N2?

I'd like to know this as well. CEC is one of the best features of the Raspberry Pi 3B for media consumption, and I assume the 4B should have it as well. I'm not finding it in the tech specs though.