Plex Media Server on LibreELEC

• Hello new here,

After scrolling down 7 pages of this, some a little bit older, i ask, whats the best way to install plex server on libreelec? Use dockers, install directly, apt-get does not work. Does plex server comes as a add-on or i have to add a repo?

Edited 3 times, last by t1t0 ().

• Hello new here,

After scrolling down 7 pages of this, some a little bit older, i ask, whats the best way to install plex server on libreelec? Use dockers, install directly, apt-get does not work. Does plex server comes as a add-on or i have to add a repo?

Libreelec has no package manager so no apt-get. However, there are scripts to install Plex natively (and update) on libreelec. Escalade posted links to them in the previous page.

Another way of installing Plex is via docker image. There is an add-on in the repo for that. You first install the linuxserver repo from the libreelec repo, then you'll see various docker add-ons in there.

Which way is best is arguable. I'd say whatever you're more comfortable with is the best way. Try and see.

• I am a total dummy to this. How can i Install the escalade scripts? Is there an addon or something? A script zip or what? Thanks in advance

• No need for Docker, Plex can run on LE natively. Here's the script and systemd unit I use that handles downloading, updating and running Plex:

plex-update.sh

plex.service

Thanks for the scripts but how does this work to install Plex Server on stock LibreELEC? Do you have any instructions or can you point me in a direction?

1. Copy plex.conf to /storage/.config/plex.conf: http://ix.io/2cip (then run systemctl daemon-reload)
    2. Copy the .service file to /storage/.config/system.d/plex.service (also edit to change location of plex-update.sh, or remove the ExecStartPre)
    3. Run plex-update.sh
    4. Run systemctl enable plex; systemctl start plex
    5. Enjoy
  • So I recently updated to LibreElec version 9.2 and found my previous Plex server install had been wiped out. I attempted to use the instructions above from escalade and was able to install app.plex with the script provided, but the service would always fail to run.

Error Log: Pastebin

Edit: Resolved by finding and tweaking an alternative version of the plex.service file using more default settings.

1. Copy plex.conf to /storage/.config/plex.conf: http://ix.io/2cip (then run systemctl daemon-reload)
    2. Copy the .service file to /storage/.config/system.d/plex.service (also edit to change location of plex-update.sh, or remove the ExecStartPre)
    3. Run plex-update.sh
    4. Run systemctl enable plex; systemctl start plex
    5. Enjoy

thanks for this.

how do I do this right ?

when i get to 3, i cant get further.

after pasting the 2cip into the plex.conf and upload it to folder my putty gives me:

LIBREELEC:~ # systemctl daemon-reload

LIBREELEC:~ # plex-update.sh

-sh: plex-update.sh: not found

LIBREELEC:~ #

can you advice on this ( for you:D ) simple task ...

• So I recently updated to LibreElec version 9.2 and found my previous Plex server install had been wiped out. I attempted to use the instructions above from escalade and was able to install app.plex with the script provided, but the service would always fail to run.

Error Log: Pastebin

Edit: Resolved by finding and tweaking an alternative version of the plex.service file using more default settings.

Could you please tell what where these settings were? I have the same issue as you

Update 2:

Change the ExecStart line of plex.service to

ExecStart="/storage/.cache/app.plex/Plex Media Server"

And started. Later one these logs appear

Update 3

It seems to be a problem with LibreELEC locales. I installed the locale add-on and changed to en_US.UTF-8. I check then on console

But when I run

Code
    1. LibreELEC:~/.cache/app.plex # locale -a
    2. C
    3. POSIX

It is not there.

The probelm I get when starting the service is:

Code
    1. May 30 13:33:04 LibreELEC systemd[1]: plex.service: Ignoring invalid environment assignment 'export LC_ALL=C': /storage/.config/plex.
    2. May 30 13:33:04 LibreELEC systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server.
    3. May 30 13:33:04 LibreELEC Plex Media Server[3246]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
    4. May 30 13:33:04 LibreELEC Plex Media Server[3246]: what(): locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
    5. May 30 13:33:04 LibreELEC systemd[1]: plex.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
    6. May 30 13:33:04 LibreELEC systemd[1]: plex.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

How do I install this locale?

Edited 3 times, last by neroxyr ().

• You have to be in the same directory of the plex-update.sh file. Then do

Code
    1. chmod 755 plex-update.sh; ./plex-update.sh
  • Could you please tell what where these settings were? I have the same issue as you?

Here is the plex.service file I ended up using and it solved my issue right away. Make sure your paths match.