Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working

• Many thanks for the reply. Thats where I started from I used this firmware with 9.2.4 libreelec but it would not work with the HD channels. It only worked with the crazycat TBS driver but not HD. Which is why I was looking for a way around this. Hopefully libreelec this will be addressed in a later release of libreelec. I may see if I can build a libreelec with the UpdateLee DW1202 driver.

I have compared the firmware with md5sum and it is the same. So comfortable I am using the same stuff.

• don't use crazycat TBS driver for that device, it is know bug for some transponders, if you use libreelec x86_64 you must upgrade to latest nightly //where kernel have support included

from Index of /

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.80-nightly-20201010-45d6ccb.tar copy to /storage/.update/

and copy firmware dvb-demod-m88ds3103b to /storage/.config/firmware/

reboot

Geniatech Mygica HDStar DVB-S2 USB HD not working

your device is probably not listed yet in linuxtv wiki version 3103B of Geniatech HD Star DVB-S2 USB2.0 - LinuxTVWiki

this group of devices from 2018 > like cinergy s2 , s4600 and some others too have already proper support in current kernel , maybe for only this one support was not merged to dw2102 or dvbsky modules

Edited 2 times, last by stpf99 (October 10, 2020 at 9:46 AM).

• Many thanks for your response.

I was using a RPi3 with 8.2.4 (linux 4.9.80) which was using the dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw (the B frmware). I upgraded to 9.2.4 and lost the HD channels.

Thanks your advice. I have download various nightly image for the RPi2. The 2020 10 03 and worked with my TV via HDMI but would not connect to Wifi, but works fine on Ethernet. I use tvheadend, downloaded from the nightlies, 9.80.6.123 (4.2.8-36) worked fine but did not find any channels on the muxes. Showed a reasonable signal.

I tried the RPi2 images for 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 October. On the RPi 3B connected via HDMI to a Samsung TV but none got beyond the basic boot screen. I did not connect to Ethernet to see if it was just an HDMI problem. Happy to try again with these or other builds if this is useful.

The Chris Lee Update on Unbuntu x86 gives slightly different output on dw2102 but seams to work ok for both std and HD channels.

• Hi there guys.

Can anyone provide me a step-by-step comprehensive guide on how to make this work in 2021?

I've got mini pc with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS running kernel 5.4.0. Will it work there?

Thank you very much in advance.

• This is October 2022 and I’m wondering if anyone successfully installed this unit in LE. I’m using LE10.02.3 on a RockPro64 and the unit is recognised on boot but no front end is loaded.

The board is marked SU3000 V3.0 111024 so obviously it’s the V3 version. From previous posts here I’ve seen the following

download firmware from here dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw

rename from dvb-demod-m88ds3103.fw to dvb-demod-m88ds3103b.fw and copy to /lib/firmware

this works on current kernels...

Is this instruction relevant now. Did anyone actually get the V3 version working in LE.

• I had a couple of these and gave up on them, it's probably possible to get them working but it's a PITA. Do yourself a favour and get a Telestar DIGIBIT R1.

Probably and there’s a number of others that work too but this is Linux and the challenge is to get things working. We’d never have anything working if we gave up.

I’m just trying to find out if anyone had gotten this working and how they went about doing it. Thanks for the recommendation though.

• Geniatech HD Star DVB-S2 USB2.0 works fine for me but I don't recommend anyone to use USB tuners with LibreELEC, because with any update the drivers can stop working.

I leave you this information so you can study my case:

• I've long advocated that if you want reliable DVB with LE or any of its derivatives you should separate the head-end from the client, because it makes it much easier to e.g. run RaspiOS on the head-end (easy package installs, any drivers you like, older kernel, etc.) while the client side runs LE. Separating things allows you to keep the client current, bumping as frequently as you like, while the server side remains on whatever works (and no need to bump it).

• chewitt, that is a fair statement in general for RPi users but Intel users can benefit much more.. LE is a good platform for hosting headless servers including PVR backends and the work of installing the backend is done for the user via packages (TVHeadend, VDR and NextPVR, anyway) and many users don't have to hunt for drivers or firmware.

There is also a class of users that simply want legal live tv, and for them a USB dongle, or even a remote SAT>IP or HDHR device will work ideally. It is certainly better to by a stable USB device, Geniatech is one of the worst vendors, even on standard Linux.