[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• Just recently dual booted one box with a micro SD and it's a class 4. LE would lockup just trying boot because of the slow speed. Switching to a UHS1 SD card and the performance is comparable to the internal flash. Any class 6 or above SD should be good for booting. Then have all your Kodi data run off the internal. I would recommend UHS1 or UHS3 if you're going to keep everything on the SD card.

• Why would it be faster? Doesn’t the add/USB drive just boot and then everything else happens from internal? I’m using an old Sandisk usb, got me worried that it’s hindering the performance now? Is it? Should I get fast SD too? Lol

• Why would it be faster? Doesn’t the add/USB drive just boot and then everything else happens from internal? I’m using an old Sandisk usb, got me worried that it’s hindering the performance now? Is it? Should I get fast SD too? Lol

Do you have bad performance?

• Seems fine to me, just very slightly more sluggish than my amazon fire tv with kodi, if its going to make things more snappy id do the swap to SD card?

The only performance gain withe an expensive high-speed SD is if you are using a "heavy/fancy" skin. If not a normal decent SD works just fine.

• So I hope you can see just part of the reason why I have removed this, you may think it is a bad or a poor decision on my part but I couldn't care less because I am fed up of the constant trouble it causes.

GDPR-2 I'm pleased to see this direction as the wider team recognised it as a long-term support burden some time ago. One of our goals has always been "ease of use" and box installs are inherently more challenging than SBC devices due to multiple "how to make it boot an SD card" methods required - and adding the frequent complexities of internal installation on-top results in a range of box unique issues that tiring to repeatedly solve. It's true that an eMMC install is always going to be fastest, but team testing shows the performance of a good SD card reduces the gain to marginal levels unless the underlying box has inferior components (and crap hardware is always going to be crap hardware). An easier install process results in more people having a positive experience with LE, and thats something we care about more than appeasing the overall small (but increasing) percentage of users who purchase sub-$25 black box junk from far-east bulk buy websites. Caveat Emptor..

• thanks for feedback, i went ahead and used the other method of Boot off USB and put kodi on internal and it worked great, feels much quicker now

[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

Glad someone has "seen the light" ;)

Heck I think one of my old LE S9xx devices still uses an old 2GB Class 4 microSDHC card, but once booted up and using LE Kodi data from internal eMMC storage, it's a pretty snappy setup.

LE Kodi Krypton does not need huge amounts of internal storage space anyway unless you have a massive video library.

• GDPR-2 I'm pleased to see this direction as the wider team recognised it as a long-term support burden some time ago. One of our goals has always been "ease of use" and box installs are inherently more challenging than SBC devices due to multiple "how to make it boot an SD card" methods required - and adding the frequent complexities of internal installation on-top results in a range of box unique issues that tiring to repeatedly solve. It's true that an eMMC install is always going to be fastest, but team testing shows the performance of a good SD card reduces the gain to marginal levels unless the underlying box has inferior components (and crap hardware is always going to be crap hardware). An easier install process results in more people having a positive experience with LE, and thats something we care about more than appeasing the overall small (but increasing) percentage of users who purchase sub-$25 black box junk from far-east bulk buy websites. Caveat Emptor..

It was a feature I never really wanted to include but did so to appease users who wanted it, given the problems it has caused and continues to cause though I have to agree with you.

For the technically minded users they can still install to internal if they so wish but it is not something I will provide support for any further.

I have always run from an sdcard or usb drive and have never had issues with performance then again I don't expect miracles from a $30 box to begin with, if it works then I'm happy.

I have worked with each revision to bring this community release closer to stock LE with the ultimate aim of abandoning community releases in favour of official releases once 9.0 arrives, it's been my goal from the start and continues to remain my goal.

• So I bricked my device doing this the first time and now looking for some help.

• What is the proper build to use for the Minix Neo U1?
    • Can I install these builds over @kszaq’s older builds or do I have to make a new bootable disc using these ones?
    • Can I restore from backups made from @kszaq’s builds or are they not compatable?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.