Posts by Shoog

I have the concern that all this effort is in vain since the release schedule for AML GPU means that already the S905/S912 GPU's are old hat before an open source driver is available - and we already have a none supported GPU on the S905X2 and a release schedule which always stays well ahead of open source development.

Supporting these chips with Open Source drivers is simply unsustainable.

Shoog

This is because the GUI version in Kodi was bumped to 5.13.0, but there was no real justification for doing so other than to start a new series for Kodi Leia final. You can get this working on most skins by finding the addon.xml for the skin and looking for the required GUI version and changing it to 5.13.0. You will need a Zipper program which allows you to modify files within the zip (Linux allows this), other wise you wil need to unzip the skin > modify the addon.xml > zip it back up again.

Shoog

But how better is coreelec though comrpead to libre?

Really the only way to find out is to give it a spin on an SD card and make your own mind up. Its been my daily driver for a year at this stage and even though there have been a few hiccups along the way it works very well for most of the time. Its still in active development and I run Nightlies so occasionally things break - but I would honestly say that the latest release candidate 8.95.7 is ready for prime time and is only waiting for the final Kodi release before it is wrapped up and put to bed.
    Libreelec has some specific missing functionality which means I can't use it so cannot comment on the state of the latest releases for AMLogic.

Shoog

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the S912 is at end of life, but what can be said is that it has had very little uptake and that is likely to remain so into the future. That means support will always be behind the curve of the various S905 offerings. Having said that I can think of no area where the S912 offers better performance or more features than the S905D so why take the chance that all things will be peachy into the future.

Personally next time I need a new box it will be an Intel box such as the Vorke V5. Why - better support and better performance. Its been a long and tedious drag getting a usable version of Kodi on my VIM2 S912 box (a full year to be exact) and frankly life is just to short for the small saving offered by a CRAPPY AMLogic box. What really rankles is the utter contempt they show for their customer base.

Shoog

I have a VIM2 and I would say the extra cost is not worth it. You don't get a usable case, you get a chip which runs hot without heatsinking (which is a diy effort or a choice of their own product which is a noisy squirrel cage design). It only has two USB2 ports. The S912 chip brings little to the table that isn't available from a good S905D box and isn't even supported in standard LE builds. The NAND storage is not very useful when you consider that "InstalltoInternal" is no longer supported in LE. The only thing going for it is rather mediocre Linux support - which you don't need anyway. A bit of a dead end considering they have moved onto a completely different chipset for their latest offering. A bit of a disappointment all round - though it does the job well when running CE builds.

Shoog

Well, I'm just a user, but the CE team is a perfect example of what's wrong with some open source communities. They don't take user reports of bugs seriously and are rude and unhelpful. When I reported a bug in CE on the Odroid C2 with network performance when they weren't deleting my forum posts they blamed the network protocol (SMB) and told me I was expecting too much of my hardware. I identified the same issue in LE. In contrast the LE team took my complaint seriously, identified the issue, and made test builds within hours that addressed the issue. I guess the issue wasn't my expectations after all...

So you can cheerlead the CE all you want, but some of us know better.

We all have different experiences, and I could not say that mine matches yours. Any issues I have raised which are within the remit of CE to solve have been addressed. The tone of comments is often the key though.

This unfortunately is part of the problem here, people seem unable to appreciate that the developers are doing all this for free out of goodwill on limited time and resources - and all they ever seem to get is bitching.

Shoog

In terms of general picture quality, LE scores higher, especially when it comes to OTA SD content, where the picture is sharper and colours more vibrant. However CE continues to show great improvements and recent nightly builds bring the quality much closer.

This is a settings issue and not intrinsic to CE/Leia. I had the same experience - but it was solved by disabling all SD formats in the whitelist, or in the latest versions - simply not selecting any whitelist settings. Its been discussed over at the CE forum before.

Shoog

I tested today - CE 8.95.7

Tested some UHD samples

ok_Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, Sony Mont Blanc HDR UHD 4K Demo, Sony Swordsmith HDR UHD 4K Demo

all with buffering issues running CE/KODI18 using wired Gb network

Files playing without buffering issues running LE/KODI17.6

Frankly I don't believe you. Just more mud slinging. I have already satisfied myself that one of your complaints is false.
    I like LE and use the current Leia release on my RaspPi without issues, but this constant bad mouthing of CE from certain member of the LE team is just a bit pathetic.

Shoog

Hi, I have a Box Mecool S912 with dual tuner, from the end of 2018 and I can not find any form, nor any Build (I have tried several), that recognizes the TV tuners.

Can someone help me solve it?

Have you tried Coreelec since they certainly have support for this dvb chipset. You need to add the tuner modules addon and it will probably only work withe the Crazycats selection.

Shoog

Regarding CE vs LE.

Clean install or regimented staged updates are necessary with CE, or settings carry overs can mess things up if you install over an older version or jump to many versions. Best option with 8.95.6 is to disable whitelist for video and allow Kodi to revert to legacy handling as it was on Krypton. Otherwise I think most people will find that CE just works and works well.

If you want to run a stable version of Leia then its the only viable option on the AMLogic boxes and will probably remain so since the LE team have shown no interest (hostility) in rolling out LEIA for AMLogic devices. If Leia doesn't bother you then LE running Krypton on AMLogic is stable for a year at this stage and performance is as optimal as its possible to get.

For me LE Krypton simple isn't an option since the LE team never ported the driver for the Khadas dvb-s/t board back from the working version developed by the CE team.

Shoog