Posts by Shoog

The Odroid N2 is the best available hardware in the AMLogic boards and it works with CE for full functionality. A bargain if you are based in the USA but a bit more expensive in Europe. Until mainline support is achieved you can forget LE on any of the ARM chips except for the Pi's.

Shoog

I'm having an s912 box collecting dust i tried the other elec with it but I have to say I'm not impressed. With 3.14 it limps ahead, stability is far from what I'd call so. My only chance is mainline with panfrost period. 3.14 might work for 905 but not for ALL AML boxen.

So please stop the FUD and appreciate what the devs are doing in their scarce spare time. Or use what better fits your needs, but let us enjoy the world revolve regardless there's an ancient 3.14 rotting alive some place out there.

I don't know what universe you are in but I have been using it on a S912 for over a year at this stage, since version 8.95.4 its been as good as any of my other media boxes, with a few occasional regressions which were quickly been corrected. i think its yourself who has the bad case of FUD.

Shoog

I think its totally wrong to say there is no short term future in 3.14
    I think even those using the 3.14 kernel want us to move forward to mainline support - but as has been clearly stated that doesn't work yet and is unlikely to be fully mature for a good while yet - so hang all those AML user out to dry.
    As I said it didn't have to develop this way - that was a policy decision that LE made all on its own.

If Mainline support where the great bugbear that is claimed why release a Rpi4 none mainline Leia build of LE - its simply inconsistent and that tells the lie.

Shoog

It's not working though, that's the point. Digitial passthrough has been broken for quite some time on the LE 3.14 kernel images.

Obviously the images for the other team are fine, but LE should be about running as close to mainline as possible IMHO.

Digital passthrough can work perfectly on 3.14. As to the other, its a matter of opinion. I don't think its the right decision to drop support for a platform before the replacement is ready for prime time (especially when there were people who offered to maintain support in the transition) - but thats just my opinion. Duty of care to your loyal user base and all that.

Shoog

Shoog I hope you are kidding - 3.14 in 2019... Who will keep the security patches coming? Amlogic?

This is a bit of a red herring since anyone hacking your media box can what "steel your media", "crash your box", "hack across your badly setup SAMBA network". The security benefits a newer kernel will bring will not prevent any of these scenario's from happening. Get serious.

There are literally millions of Android devices running these kernels and the sky isn't falling in on those users.

Shoog

That's fair enough, but it's easy to see how folks lose hope with this Amlogic hardware.

I'm just glad we won't see yet another 3.14 kernel release.

Why ? If another 3.14 kernel release works why should you care ?

Amlogic hardware offers the best bang for buck relationship on the market and yes there still is software that fully supports it.

As a developer I can understand the desire to0 move on to better things - but as a user you are just shooting yourself in the foot.

Shoog

This would be an issue on N2 because s922x SoC supports h.264 4k only up to 30fps. This is from s922x datasheet:

H.265 HEVC [email protected] up to [email protected]
    H.264 AVC [email protected] up to [email protected]

So the N2 would half cut it.

It seems that the only reliable tick all boxes solution would be Intel based. No point buying an ARM board/box without the prospects of support.
    However - when you can demonstrate a real world need for [email protected] you might be justified in shelling out the extra.

Shoog

I bought Asrock J4105B-ITX board for ~70€, ITX case: ~25€, 2x2Gb DDR4 SO-DIMM: ~20€. So the final price was around 115€. Power supply (PicoPSU + external 12v) was included with the case.

This board generally costs 2x this amount so would bring in the price at nearer €200.00

The N2 is the Odroid N2, very affordable if you are in the USA - not quite so everywhere else. Works out at about €120 in the UK with emac, case, power supply and Bluetooth Dongle. Still it is fully supported on CE and is intrinsically better than any S922 Android box for various technical reasons. It has a massive passive cooling solution and an open bootloader which makes recovery from corruption a breeze (not so on Android boxes). The clincher though is its capabilities are far in excess of what is required to run a top performance Kodi box with TVheadend server and file server to the network. If a Gemini Lake is better spec'd (thats a big if) then that extra grunt is totally wasted on a HTPC.

Shoog

N2 running CE is your best bang for bucks at the moment.

I just bought a Atomic pi and it makes a decent enough LE machine but its not as high spec as the N2.
    I have always found the Vorke V5 to be an interesting offering with high enough specs

Shoog

If you have a properly signed ROM, designed for the box, and a USBA to USBA cable then USBBurn tool is a reliable way of recovering such a brick. Its like a sophisticated dd tool which burns a new disk image regardless of how corrupted the partition table is.

Shoog

When samples are received of the King box (as they will be) then full support will be in CE in a matter of weeks - as it was with the N2. That is where you are spreading more misinformation beyond your knowledge of reality.

No one here has questioned your efforts to further development of the mainline S922 kernel, but simply stop spreading bullshit about a cooling system which performs better than any other of the available boards. Your comments regarding the heatsink are simply laughable.

You only seem interested in spreading misinformation and puffing your own work up.

The only reality that should matter in making a choice of developer board here is that the N2 is ready to run as a stable, reliable, high performance media player straight out of the box.

Shoog

You again give inaccurate information (you have previously tried to intentionally spread fakes about N2, after that I am skeptical about your information). As far as I know, the representative of Beelinc offered CE sample KING, but CE representatives said they need a lot of samples for all developers. This requirement is very similar to the attempt to put obviously impossible requirement that would then hide behind this, why they were not able to release the CE image for King.

Please refrain from speculating about something you obviously know nothing about. Your conclusion is grossly inaccurate.

As to you comment on the N2 cooling, you can put forward any amount of theories as to why it wont work - but the real world empirical evidence says it does - and this has been demonstrated to you on numerous occasions. If you want to drive it hard as you suggest - turn it over mount a 12V 4inch fan run at 5V (a very simply DIY job) and you will achieve a steady below 50 Cent temps under any load.
    Meanwhile the VIM3 which you are advocating as a better product will sit at over 60 Centigrade in normal use and much higher in active use simply because it has NO COOLING. The VIM3 in stock form is on a fast track to burnup - now that is bad design.

Shoog

If someone knows an answer, they reply. I guess you are referring to DVB-related questions and I'm afraid there are no many people here who can answer them.

If DVB is important and your particular card has a driver developed by afl1 then you have no choice but to use CE. It seems unlikely that his driver, developed for the AMLogic 3.14 kernel, will get ported to mainline any time soon and no one else is actively developing a driver for mainline kernel. The driver itself was offered for someone else to do the necessary porting work - but no one took it up.

Shoog

Your comments on the N2 cooling was bullshit then and still is bullshit because they bare no relationship to actual real world measurements from people who actually had the boards to base their measurements on (which you did not when you made those comments). So I suggest you still retract any complaints regarding cooling on the N2 since you are wrong.

A steady below 60Cent CPU temp shows that the cooling is more than adequate.

Shoog