Switching between incompatible OS uboots the simple way.

• People are having issues when testing LE and then testing other OS's on the AMLogic platform. They are been advised that they need to reinstall Android firmware after the Uboot is altered on first boot. This is absolutely unnecessary and very poor advice as it is a complex process to restore the original Android ROM assuming you have it.

Fortunately AMLogic is wiser than this advice and they have built in functionality which allows you to boot a self contained OS off a SD card and this will restore the necessary boot functionality to whatever is needed to operate the OS.

The simple method is:

-create a SD card with whatever OS you want to run using the LibreELEC.USB-SD.Creator tool (or whatever tool is recommended by your chosen OS) from the full OS image (not the update .tar)

-insert the card into your SD slot with the power off.
    -Press your boxes RESET button and insert your power cord and hold the reset until the first splash screen has loaded. The RESET button is usually in one of two locations 1) at the back of the AV socket 2) in a hole on the bottom of the box labelled RESET. Use a toothpick or a match. A few very rare boxes have no RESET button and for these you will have to use a different method.

This has forced you box to boot off the SD card and has run the aml_autoscript which comes supplied with the OS image which sets up the uboot to whatever is needed run you chosen OS on next boot.

Do this every time you want to switch OS. SIMPLES.

If this fails for you try it again as the reset detection can be twitchy. There are also a number of other techniques which can be used if this method fails.

With this knowledge you can safely test whatever OS you choose without reinstalling any firmware or damaging you internally installed system.

Hope this helps.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog (January 12, 2020 at 4:58 PM).

• Not an issue that impacts the N2 because it is a stand alone SBC which has its own unique bootloader.

Another approach if you can get it to boot into Android is to use the app

Reboot to LibreELEC – Apps on Google Play

This will force a reboot from the SD card.

All this does is issue the console command

reboot update

So if you have a terminal emulator loaded on your Android install then simply launch and issue this command for the same effect.

This technique will also allow free movement between the stable kzaq LE community builds and the experimental Balbes LE builds.

Shoog

Edited once, last by Shoog (January 12, 2020 at 6:55 PM).

• Does anyone have any idea why these methods are NOT working on my GT-King box?

The box came with a built in SD card with a CE install on it. It is working every time I force to boot from the SD card.

But when I try any other OS, the result is a black screen or a constant reboot sequence. I've tried various linux systems, I've tried LE test builds. I've tried all the mentioned methods: the reset switch, the APK and the terminal. Nothing boots from the SD card except CE.

CE boots every time.

I do not want to re-flash, but I'm out of options...