Posts by The Coolest

All of the listed above S905X4 boxes use the same OEM board, so they are basically the same thing with different cases.

I already have the Minix, so that's what I use, as the CPU is more powerful and it supports P7 FEL.

But since it uses a specialized build, we don't make nightly builds for it, we only have stable releases.

The ones that we tested and confirmed to work are the following devices:

S922X:

Minix U22X-J
    Ugoos AM6B

S905X4:

Homatics R4
    Dune Homatics R4
    Nokia 8010

RockTek G2

On S905X4 P7 FEL+MEL only work through libdovi and P8.1 conversion.

On the S922X we have P7 FEL support, but MEL doesn't currently work correctly.

It's obvious that having HDR10 support is better than not having HDR10 support at all.

And yes, the differences between HDR10 content and Dolby Vision content is a lot more nuanced than the difference between SDR and HDR.

But it doesn't mean that there's no discernible difference. I admit that most people, in most cases will not be able to tell the two formats apart (given say the same equipment and 2 versions of the same source material, one DV and the other HDR10). But again, it doesn't mean that there's no difference. In some cases there are noticeable improvements in DV content due to it being a dynamic metadata format.

Having DV support is often a matter of principle for people, who are (or at least consider themselves to be) videophiles. And no, being a videophile doesn't mean you have to buy expensive media players.

Adding DV support is non-trivial. It required a lot of work for us to get it working on CE on devices that have a DV enabled SoC.

But it's possible to have it on a Linux based device, albeit not on x86 and mainline kernel.

With all the above said, I think that none of the Pi boards support DV due to the licensing issue mentioned previously. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Kwiboo I just tested the LE version you suggested on ROC-RK3328-CC.

First of all this board runs extremely hot. I have the heatsink for the SoC mounted, and it still idles around 60C.
    It does play H264 very well now, HEVC 10-bit is still dead in the water, but the short HEVC 8-bit clip I tried played well. The GUI looks like it's not hardware accelerated, a lot of jaggies, not smooth, etc. I couldn't really test audio passthrough, the list of available passthrough formats was empty (it's connected to a PC monitor which only supports PCM, so perhaps that is working as intended).
    So yeah, there's progress since the last time I tried it.

buzzmarshall There are facts, there is guesswork and then there are @balbes150's opinions that are presented as facts. I don't know what motivates him to make these posts. He posted something similar on cnx-software the other day, in their N2 announcement. Just feels like he made it his mission to present the N2 in the worst light possible, regardless of what everybody else is saying.

IMHO, when developers who have the device in hand tell you that the N2 doesn't even come close to running hot, there's little room for "opinions". I'm not even going to comment on the attempts made to explain why the thermal solution is bad, because it's too ridiculous. It's enough to take a look at 2 pictures of the device to see how it is constructed, and to understand that there's no "heating" going on, and no greenhouse effect.
    I'll be frank, I also raised an eyebrow when I first saw that the heatsink was mounted at the bottom, and I too had doubts about how well this sort of cooling solution will perform. But once I plugged it in and ran it for a while, all of those doubts disappeared. The N2 doesn't run hot, even under heavy load, that's fact, from experience. The way the heatsink is mounted to the CPU and RAM is excellent. There is direct contact between heatsink and chips, with proper thermal paste for TIM. There are no thermalpads here.
    In addition, if the heatsink orientation bothers you THAT much, you can always just flip it over and carry on with your day.

I agree with you regarding pricing, in general. Everyone will have to decide for themselves how much they want to spend for their device, and what they are willing to pay for. The prices posted above do not coincide with what Hardkernel said the device would sell for. Obviously China will always be cheaper, as their shipping is almost always free. But then you sacrifice build and component quality, proper warranty and support. You will also have to wait 2-4 weeks (and sometimes more) for it to be delivered. So obviously everybody will decide what is best for them.

I can't comment on the GPU stacks. The performance of this device, with the current drivers in Kodi is excellent. The GUI is super smooth, everything loads many times faster than it does on my S905X devices. It easily handles SW 1080P Hi10P H264 decoding, it plays 1080P Netflix without breaking a sweat.

balbes150 Please refrain from speaking about a device you don't have hands on experience with.

I can't compare it to the RK3399, as I don't have a box based on one of them.

I have a SBC based on another Rockchip, and the last time I tested it, it was pretty useless as a media player in all regards.

H264 video stuttered, HEVC video would lock up after 10 seconds of playback, no HDR support, etc.

The N2 doesn't heat up to 70C, the maximum temperature I've seen on mine was when I was playing H264 4K content with SW decoding (all cores at 100%), and it maxed out at about 42C, so if you have no idea what you're talking about, just don't, it doesn't sound good.

Regarding it not being good value for money, that also depends. Cheap Chinese boxes are often shipped with cheap, bad or fake hardware. Hardware which you can never get proper drivers for or get to work reliably (or at all). With HK, everything provided in the box just works, and it works well. Everything is high quality, and quality is not cheap, so there's a premium. You still don't know how much S922X boxes are going to cost, and keep in mind that some higher quality Chinese S912 boxes sold for well over $100.

I still don't understand why you fixate on the Kernel version, how old it is, or what GPU drivers it has. As long as it works well and fast, and it does work well, and it's also very fast, I personally don't care what version of kernel it is running on.

LE pushes towards Mainline kernel support, I can understand why, LE has to cover multiple different platforms, so it makes sense for you.

Not being able to run mainline LE on it doesn't make it a bad device or a bad buy.