Trash-talk

• you might be right but the real world is where things really matter as most the are involved in higher education and high level engineering tend to work in isolated none real world environments where millions of dollars of equipment and controlled environments are their workspace.

the real world which is unfortunately based on cashola tend to cut corners to reduce cost but end up with products out in the field that may eventually fail sooner as compared to things from days gone by where quality ruled rather then quantity.

its not that i don't understand your opinion or even think that your wrong i just no if somethings within reason manufacturers will release the product and in the end in most cases the enduser takes it.

Ps3-4, xbox260-new one, tons of different laptops and the list goes on and on, and even tho because of bad flow profiles not really corrected to the none lead based solder has lead to tons of graphix failures occuring before they really should have. and a large part of those actually aren't even related to bad soldering but because Nvidea decided to let the graphix chips go out into the real world when they should not have.

in Nvidea's case the real issue lays not with board level bga mount but with bad flip-chip manufacturing which was a ENGINEERED calculation prior to packaging the wafer inside the outter bonded bga carrier. People think that reheating the board/bga mount is fixing the problem when all they are really doing is overheating the bga package which is making the flip-chip connections temporarily reconnect inside the chip itself.

as i said i understand your concern but i honestly think that until people that actually own and use the board start to complain about heat related issues i think you should do yourself a favor and let the issue go as i hate when i see unending debates over unproven issues and over the years i have watched you contribute since you 1st appeared over on Freaktab doing the linux thing along time ago and would never want to see people loose respect or credibility over something like this, especially when you've earned somuch cred's over the years by helping others.

oeace man...

• Official Post

Bad - > Inefficient - > Costs do not match the result - > the User is forced to pay more than he gets. The current shape and location of the radiator can be easily replaced by others and will have the same results when working. The upper location of the needle radiator is about ~40x40 mm, without painting in black. This is equivalent to the fact that I need to get from point A to point B. for this rather small light car, but impose a large truck with the appropriate costs at my expense. The rest of the shortcomings described in the topic the link.

Perhaps you are right, there is no point in explaining to those who do not want to understand. They don't want to see the graphics of HK itself, where the temperature under load of more than 70 degrees is clearly shown. Do not see the information from the user who conducted the test in favorable conditions and received almost 70 degrees in real work. They naively think, that a powerful processor s922, all buy exclusively for moreover, to look "movies" under minimum overstretched. It does not occur to them that the main purpose of a powerful processor is to work with large loads, and for "cinema" a minimum system based on s905x2 is enough.

p.s.

Therefore, it makes no sense to waste time on idle chatter, it is better to use this time for useful work on the production of new images. :)

• Official Post

btw.: Could we please stop calling this metal thingy a "radiator", but a heatsink instead?

To explain: balbes150 reads this forum (and replies) entirely via Google Translate, and while it does a reasonable job, it also makes some persistent mistakes including heatsink > radiator, compile > assembly, and banned > illegal. I've also noticed that Google frequently uses English words that are stronger in meaning than the original Russian text, so it's best to not read his words too literally. Once in a while Google also mangles his sentences into something unintelligible (even if you understand Russian it doesn't help) but that's all part of the fun contributing to a global project :)

• There is another explanation. For me radiator is a thing in a house to make it warmer. And because of those 70°C it really acts as radiator. Conclusion: Google understands better than we think =O

• i would be inclined to call most things in electronics a heat sync as radiator to me usually implies something capable of transmitting more heat like you say a hot water rad or heat reflector like in radiated heat in the hvac industry like infra-red tube heaters which is technically referred to as radiant heating.

i think chewitt is right tho in this case as english not being his native language and its a problem with gootle. years ago when we hacked nagra i had a buddy from that part of the world and it was allways a issue and its funny how after all these years the translators at google and others still have these types of typical issues. lol...

• its been like -25 here in Ontario for the last few days and with all the workstations and servers running in my basement the furnace still hardly comes on... i cut passive floor registers in to the upper 2 floors to allow the heat to rise... A/C tho in the summer is another case... for years i used to get yearly checkup as the local electrical authorites used to think i was running a grow op downstairs because of the hydro bills. I was one of the 1st internet service providers in my area back in the 90's so when i closed the office i moved alot of the servers home and put a trunk line into the house and maintained about a 100 connections out of the house and some of that is still use even tho i moved out of the business years ago but still maintain a few private servers for uucp and irc. I would like to look more into some of the solar stuff and try and offset some of the costs but want to wait tilll we move up north next year..

radiant floor heating here in Canada has finally started to grow in the last couple of years which is good

• hey... on another unrelated subject i would like to ask ya ...

i am way old school and predate most repo setups like github or gitlab and have been following the panfrost stuff over on gitlab and am thinking about cloning a few things and eventually opening them up publicly and was wondering if theres any real advantage of gitlab over github.

github i am somewhat familiar with as i have one with nothing it on github... normally for backup sake i have my internal git hub servers setup in the house and just push things to it for protection but since following the panfrost stuff have been looking at Gitlab and wondering about cloning their repo over into my own gitlab account and that way when i want to push from my local copy of their repo i can push to my own and let others just take what they want.

i don't have much time to spare and really don't want to spend a lot of time learning all that stuff as i typically don't use it. Over the years i tend to have gone with what i know and not bothered dragging my butt up into current stuff, so most of the stuff i do when building custom linux code is strickly just been in altering the source code and building... even things like patches i don't do enough to keep it all in my head and by the time i look things up and refresh my memory its just easier to do directly...

getting old kinda sucks when you got to much crap in your head and every time i try and put somthing new in it seems i gotta knock something else out. lol

basically i am getting to the point where i would like to help but because i don't really no my way around the repo stuff don't want to end up screwing up someone else's repo. Lately while picking away i have been using my userland (drm/abi and few other things) i built for the S912-t820 to play with what i have been watching on their repo but i need to spend a lot of time going thru things to put them into proper order and formats and making sure there is nothing inappropriate in them, i have a buddy that is copy-right patent lawyer that is looking into a few things i need to know about.

anyways i would appreciate any thoughts.

• Official Post

Gitlab is a bit more advanced in overall features than GitHub, but ultimately git (at the command-line, where all the real work gets done) is just git and unless you're needing to fiddle with CI pipelines I find them to be much the same; visual differences aside. My personal preference is GitHub due to more whitespace in the GUI and finger memory of how things work, but I'm still closer to n00b than power users so I wouldn't assign much gravitas to my opinion on the topic. Try both, whatever works for you and results in public shared code is a good thing.

• Actually i kinda prefer the github looks as well and at least am familiar with it and where things are... gitlabs look i find somewhat confusing and not as intuitive in its layout.

I just wasn't sure if projects from one were totally compatible between the 2 systems as i have been struggling to even add ssh keys with the account i have on gitlab and wasn't sure if that would translate into other areas of the project.

i think i will just clone Rob Herrings and Linus's gitlab stuff locally and when i am ready push it up to my dormant github site.

thanx.

• Kwiboo I just tested the LE version you suggested on ROC-RK3328-CC.

First of all this board runs extremely hot. I have the heatsink for the SoC mounted, and it still idles around 60C.
    It does play H264 very well now, HEVC 10-bit is still dead in the water, but the short HEVC 8-bit clip I tried played well. The GUI looks like it's not hardware accelerated, a lot of jaggies, not smooth, etc. I couldn't really test audio passthrough, the list of available passthrough formats was empty (it's connected to a PC monitor which only supports PCM, so perhaps that is working as intended).
    So yeah, there's progress since the last time I tried it.

• Kwiboo I just tested the LE version you suggested on ROC-RK3328-CC.

First of all this board runs extremely hot. I have the heatsink for the SoC mounted, and it still idles around 60C.
    It does play H264 very well now, HEVC 10-bit is still dead in the water, but the short HEVC 8-bit clip I tried played well. The GUI looks like it's not hardware accelerated, a lot of jaggies, not smooth, etc. I couldn't really test audio passthrough, the list of available passthrough formats was empty (it's connected to a PC monitor which only supports PCM, so perhaps that is working as intended).
    So yeah, there's progress since the last time I tried it.

I agree the RK3328 is running very hot as the default setting is to run CPU and GPU with performance governor (CPU at 1.3GHz and GPU at 500 MHz). ROC-RK3328-CC device tree has trip points at 80/95/100C. My device starts at 61C idle without any heatsink.

Please share any 10-bit HEVC clip that is having issues starting, all my 10-bit HEVC starts on my ROC-RK3328-CC-V1.0-A 2GB device using official RPi power supply, only the most demanding 4k 50/60 fps 10-bit HEVC should cause framerate issues.

I suggest you test with a 4k 10-bit capable TV instead of a monitor, also do not enable debug gui overlay as that will affect video playback, use default settings.

50/60fps 10-bit 4K HEVC will have more problems on ROC-RK3328-CC compared to Rock64 thanks to the DDR4 memory used on ROC-RK3328-CC vs LPDDR3 memory used on Rock64.

GUI should be hw accelerated but the Mali 450 MP2 gpu will not be as fast as an S905 Mali 450 MP3 gpu running at higher frequency.

PT-audio is not fully supported in current builds, only up to 192khz 24-bit 8 channel LPCM is supported. And as you have noticed EDID/ELD is used to determine audio capabilities.

• The LG Chess is one of those 4K@60 clips that rk3328 will have problems with and will usually play at 58-59 fps and ends out of sync.

On ROC-RK3328-CC the slower memory bandwidth (compared to Rock64) may play back LG Chess with even less fps then that, a 4K@50 sample showed similar a/v sync issue when I tested.

Please share a sample of the video that stops after 8 seconds.

• Hello all,

I just wanted to check if there is a fix out for the NanoPi M4/T4? currently I'm running (nightly-20190321-9ab3d68 (RK3399.arm) The issue is that the Max resolution i can set on this build is 1920x1080p. It is connected directly to my Sony KD-65x8505C TV. I can please 4k files but the resolution is always staying @ 1920x1080p. I have described in more detail my issue here. Link.

Can anyone help?