[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• Hi,

I'm update my KII pro to nand : copy files to updates from this file :LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.90.5.tar and box dont't wake up. After update make reboot and stop to logo with amlogic S905. Any idea how to rescue my receiver ?

• GDPR-2 here is a quick and dirty patch that reverts back to working PCM / Audio passthrough with the new linux-amlogic kernel:

new-linux-amlogic-audio-revert-combo.patch

Thanks for this I will include it in the future builds.

adamg's latest devel build reports "not compatible with LePotato hardware" - cannot tell if the bug's there.

LePotato needs a special build and the S905 builds will not install on it, you will have to wait until the next main release for an update to LePotato.

GDPR-2 , clean installation done again on my second msd card for wetek play 2. With crazycat and hauppauge drivers there is no dvb adapters in tvheadend web options available .I checked for updates in this dev build and showed me update to crazycat driver to this 101 version. Updated it but after reboot wetek play 2 remote does not work and still dvb adapters are not available in tvh webinterface

Thanks for testing, can you SSH to your box and try 'lsmod' and see if 'wetekdvb' is loaded, if not then run 'modprobe wetekdvb' and try again.

I don't have a 4k TV to test on at the moment, make sure you are using 422,8bit colour space though as this is all the 4k spec allows for.

• Thanks GDPR-2

Yes the wetekdvb is not installed.After making modprobe wetekdvb it worked with the hauppauge driver.It doesn't work with CrazyCat.

Sorry, my english is not very.

Thanks for reporting, it should work with both as the module is the same with both.

After enabling crazycat or hauppauge reboot your device and modprobe should not be needed if you have the updated DTB.

• GDPR-2 here is a quick and dirty patch that reverts back to working PCM / Audio passthrough with the new linux-amlogic kernel:

new-linux-amlogic-audio-revert-combo.patch

wrxtasy, I tried to compile S912 build with this patch from adamg devel source, there is no sound on AVR connected via HDMI

And in settings: "Audio output device" is fixed to "Default, Bluetooth Audio (PULSAUDIO)" and no possible to change it

Without this patch it's working, but problem with switching between DD to PCM - no sound

Edited once, last by boot2k3 (March 18, 2018 at 7:45 AM).

• GDPR-2 , Thx. Problem was with not loaded wetekdvb module. After modprobe wetekdvb adapters are visible in tvheadend using crazycat or hauppauge :) But after reboot wetekdvb module is missing again :( And scanning muxes does not work

Edited once, last by zbigzbig20 (March 18, 2018 at 12:17 PM).

• Thanks for this, I have decided to drop the older nougat kernel by kszaq and use this one.

I just compiled your devel version für S912 and tested it on my Minix U9: It sadly has the same issue as the latest 8.x versions from wrxtasy (who uses the same new kernel if i am right):

720p videos (several main TV stations in Germany are using this) are having massive frame drops. Only switching hw acceleration off solves it, but then everything else is unwatchable.

Anything I can do in order to support tracking this issue down?

• I've only tested it for a bit, but the two things I really noticed with the 8.90.4 & 5 releases was that the "subtitle" menu was missing and the crash after you watched a movie.

Both problems fixed with this release.

If there's anything else I should test please let me know.

Actually, I just tried this on my M1 connected to a Onkyo NR626... I get no sound at all. Might be a coincidence but though I'd report it.

• I just compiled your devel version für S912 and tested it on my Minix U9: It sadly has the same issue as the latest 8.x versions from wrxtasy (who uses the same new kernel if i am right):

720p videos (several main TV stations in Germany are using this) are having massive frame drops. Only switching hw acceleration off solves it, but then everything else is unwatchable.

Anything I can do in order to support tracking this issue down?

Unfortunately I am left in a catch-22 with the kernel, if I continue using the old one then Wetek users are left in the dark as the new wetekdvb module doesn't work with the 8.2 kszaq kernel.

There is workarounds and hacks available to be able to use the old kernel with the older version of wetekdvb however I don't really want to continue using workarounds and hacks just to get things working.

Now another problem is that developers are dropping like flies for different reasons and there are very few people now working on the Amlogic project, kernel modification isn't particularly my strong point either.

Given the Alpha status of Kodi Leia and these builds I would advise you to use kszaq 8.2 release which is very stable until things have matured a little more as it's very much 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment with Leia builds.

• test release updated, module issue with wetek should be resolved now, wrxtasy sound patch has been removed also

Also, again clean install on Wetek Play 2, Netflix addon not working...I can install and login to Neflix but when I try to browse my collection or trending etc nothing happens.

see above, the Netflix issue is a problem with the addon and the developer needs to update it, latest releases can be found here

• GDPR-2: Thanks for your open words. 8.2.x is without patching not an alternative because with the old kernel there is visible flickering on S905 and noise on S912 with 4k/HDR videos (even while playback is being paused).

I am going to try to patch the 8.2.x with the anti flicker patch by Sam. Lets see if this is a solution.

• GDPR-2: Thanks for your open words. 8.2.x is without patching not an alternative because with the old kernel there is visible flickering on S905 and noise on S912 with 4k/HDR videos (even while playback is being paused).

I am going to try to patch the 8.2.x with the anti flicker patch by Sam. Lets see if this is a solution.

This could be down to deinterlacing or noise reduction, have you tried turning them on/off?

Let me know how the patch goes for you.

• Now another problem is that developers are dropping like flies for different reasons and there are very few people now working on the Amlogic project, kernel modification isn't particularly my strong point either.

Given the Alpha status of Kodi Leia and these builds I would advise you to use kszaq 8.2 release which is very stable until things have matured a little more as it's very much 2 steps forward 1 step back at the moment with Leia builds.

Gotta agree with GDPR-2 here.

My quick and dirty patch was basically to get the new Kernel to compile so the 4:2:2 green screen video output bug could be tested.

That and the S905X flickering/OLED bug is pretty much the only outstanding issue I could see with the old kszaq  johngalt Kernel. (excluding Play2 issues)

Bug busted 4:2:2 output is needed because you cannot use 4:4:4 for 4K@50/60Hz which is outside of HDMI 2.0 specs.

Sam Nazarko of Vero 4K fame who has some AML Kernel experience will very likely find the 4:2:2 bug and we can patch the old LE Kernel again and move forward.

• Gotta agree with GDPR-2 here.

My quick and dirty patch was basically to get the new Kernel to compile so the 4:2:2 green screen video output bug could be tested.

That and the S905X flickering/OLED bug is pretty much the only outstanding issue I could see with the old kszaq  johngalt Kernel. (excluding Play2 issues)

Bug busted 4:2:2 output is needed because you cannot use 4:4:4 for 4K@50/60Hz which is outside of HDMI 2.0 specs.

Sam Nazarko of Vero 4K fame who has some AML Kernel experience will very likely find the 4:2:2 bug and we can patch the old LE Kernel again and move forward.

Another issue with using the older kernel is that kszaq and a number of other developers have pushed new updates to the LE kernel that would also have to be backported, this creates more maintenance, fragmentation and headache, it would be better to solve the issues with the LE kernel than to continue working with the old kernel imo.

• I was as kazaq's last 8.2 build and updated using the .tar file. via the .update directory.

Now when i boot up it gets stuck on the libreelec logo and doesnt go any further.

Which dtb image is for mecool M8s Pro +?

i was using the one that wrxtasy has on the previous build.

Is it the kernel thats the issue?

Can i use an earlier one?

Edited once, last by andymarc: adding to the post (March 19, 2018 at 8:29 AM).

• test release updated, module issue with wetek should be resolved now, wrxtasy sound patch has been removed also

see above, the Netflix issue is a problem with the addon and the developer needs to update it, latest releases can be found here

Installed your new test release.

Sound hickups and livetv image freezes are still present. Might be the same issue as described here(?):8.2.4 MR audio issue

Funny thing is i thought SMB was broken in this test release, but another issue i reported with firewall profiles being swapped seem to be corrected (where public profile is actually for public and not for a home profile as in the prev rel. ;) )

Cheers,

Atreyu

Edited once, last by atreyu (March 19, 2018 at 10:21 AM).