[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• Please try the following build to see if it fixes your 3D issue link

• I did not try it yet but what I can tell you is that I have kodi running since more than a year and only recently I saw this to happen within the last 2 months. I'm quite sure it started in LE 9 but not since the beginning of LE 9. A friend of mine reports the same issue now that I made him aware of it.

I will try to check for LE 8.2.

Is your friend with the same ISP as well? I'm starting to think your problem is pebkac. If 9.0 is unusable switch back to 8.2, no guarantees are given with any release. Amlogic is a mess until we get mainline kernel and v4l2 support.

• Is your friend with the same ISP as well? I'm starting to think your problem is pebkac. If 9.0 is unusable switch back to 8.2, no guarantees are given with any release. Amlogic is a mess until we get mainline kernel and v4l2 support.

My friend is in a different country/different ISP. I would love that the problem is me, even though it is quite difficult to make an error between copying a .tar file, rebooting the box, opening an addon an starting a stream.

My friend has another sd card with 8.2 on it, he will have a look. Since the error is not easy to reproduce it will take a while. I really enjoy your LE 9 build so I would like to stay with it.

• My friend is in a different country/different ISP. I would love that the problem is me, even though it is quite difficult to make an error between copying a .tar file, rebooting the box, opening an addon an starting a stream.

My friend has another sd card with 8.2 on it, he will have a look. Since the error is not easy to reproduce it will take a while. I really enjoy your LE 9 build so I would like to stay with it.

It's not *my* build, it's a community build with contributions from many people I'm just hosting it :)

• Please try the following build to see if it fixes your 3D issue link

I updated version 8.90.1 with the new devel version LibreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-devel-20180103154127-r27897-geb02a8e.tar

you kindly provided, but unfortuntely the 3D-autoswitch does not work again. :(

Is there anything I can do? I can provide logfiles tomorrow if necessary (at the moment my wife occupies the TV...)

• I updated version 8.90.1 with the new devel version LibreELEC-S905.arm-9.0-devel-20180103154127-r27897-geb02a8e.tar

you kindly provided, but unfortuntely the 3D-autoswitch does not work again. :(

Is there anything I can do? I can provide logfiles tomorrow if necessary (at the moment my wife occupies the TV...)

Amlogic layer is working. Issue have to be in upper layer.

To switch to 3D SBS during playback use following command echo '3dlr' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

For 3D TOB echo '3dtb' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config 

Back to 2D echo '3doff' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config

• I'm sorry to inform everybody but I will no longer be contributing to LibreELEC or these forums.

I have been trying for a number of weeks to add support for Amlogic devices to LibreELEC but at every step of the way I have been met with resistance, poor attitudes and even out right refusal to support these devices and never once a thank you.

There is technical reasons some would argue for some of this but I believe this to just be an excuse for other reasons as these builds have shown just how well LE runs on our devices.

There is more of a willingness to support products people do not use anyore (x86) and old products (Raspberry Pi) rather than products that are new and rising in popularity.

LibreELEC is not a project that I consider to be free and open-source and is somewhat reminicient of problems experienced with OpenELEC, it is tightly controlled in the vision of a select few and allows for sponsorship from vendors to impede development.

I started contributing to LE with the interests of the community at heart, you guys where my priority as without you guys LE would not exist, it has not all been negative, however I find myself not wanting to carry on any longer.

I had created a community github repository specifically for Amlogic devices out of my frustrations with the lack of willingness to support Amlogic devices and invited a number of developers who had collaborated with me to join this and it has worked great, there has been even more development with Amlogic than there has been in some time, however... some within LE took a dim view of this for reasons I just can not fathom with some even going as far as calling me a 'dick', if the core of LE was not as broken as it is then I would never had needed to do this.

I had refrained from airing my distaste in public until now and had hoped to carry on working with the community rather than officially with LE but with the removal of my 'Developer' tag on these forums it is just another sign of just how bad things are with LE and is the last straw for me.

I would like to thank the following people for supporting me afl1  kszaq  GDPR-1

Edited 3 times, last by GDPR-2 (January 4, 2018 at 5:07 AM).

• Except for a link to pre-installed micro SD cards on the Pi downloads page (which exists solely to stop people asking where to get them, and earns the project about £40/year in affiliate income) and a donation of some hosting credit from DigitalOcean, this project is entirely funded through end-user donations and deliberately has no commercial sponsors. None. The project has clearly stated non-profit objectives and since inception we have refused commercial partnerships to ensure the project remains free from those influences - a lesson learned from OE.

In the near future our approach to sponsors need to change. Why? .. because to increase the amount of Amlogic (and Rockchip, and eventually Allwinner) hardware that we publish images for, our hosting and currently very limited jenkins/continuous-integration infrastructure needs to expand. This costs real-world $$$ and the current annual levels of user-donations will not cover the projected expenses. We also need to plan and adapt the code of our build-system to permit greater levels of automation and test. It's really a HUGE and grown-up effort for the project, and it requires contributors to step-up and do some boring stuff for the general good instead of focussing on personal interests like hardware-hacking their latest device. We would also like to send people to FOSS events like FOSDEM and Embedded Linux Conference; to represent the project and meet the community peers who we collaborate with and have the "over a beer" conversations that result in relationships that help to move the project forwards. None of that is for free, and since money is involved there needs to be people who manage the money and people who have oversight to ensure responsible governance and avoid misuse. You perceive that to be 'corporate' behaviour. We (in particular those who come from OE which had zero transparency on these things) see it as simple common sense.

Our goal is (always has been, and will remain) to support much more hardware. However, aside from the functional things mentioned above which are holding that goal back, we also need to consider our name/reputation and that of Kodi and the rules of their trademark. We choose not to endorse and promote manufacturers who wallpaper our forum with advertorial postings for their products. We choose not to work with Android box vendors who ship "fully loaded" piracy devices that harm Kodi. We choose not to work with cheap manufacturers who provide terrible support for low-quality hardware and expect us to provide free support and software in return for a couple of samples and the opportunity to put their logo on our download page. In fact many of our contributors purchase their own hardware (or allow the project to buy) to avoid feeling beholden to a manufacturer because they accepted something for free. This position does sadly narrow the options on who to work with a bit, and the approach where we have bona-fide vendors like WeTek/HK having 'official' releases causes a problem because everyone else wants to be official too. This has to change in the near future (we completely agree on this!) but how that change happens is something to be discussed. How it is done will not be my or any other one persons decision. It will be a team decision. The first of many internal discussions to talk about some of these topics takes place tonight. However it's a complex topic, and a revision of our approach requires consensus. It will not be a quick process.

We have repeatedly tried to explain some of this to you, but you have repeatedly refused to believe or even listen to the explanations given. In the literal sense of the word you are unreasonable, i.e. "someone who cannot be reasoned with" and your views appear to be immovable. This inability to acknowledge actual facts or the general consensus view of basically everyone else in the wider team, many of whom have been contributing to LE (and OE before) for years not just a couple of months, is why people are increasingly tired and less accepting of your demands.

For the record, we know our audience. Your personal perception of Raspberry Pi being irrelevant to the future is not shared by the wider team or the 150,000+ existing LE pi users, and the future of LE (and Kodi on Linux overall) is very ARM based. We are proud of the contribution we make to the pi community and look forward to it continuing long into the future. There is also a considerable ongoing effort to solve some deep structural problems that have held Kodi-on-Linux back for a long time. LE contributors are leading this effort, and Amlogic (and Rockchip, and Allwinner, and Raspberry Pi) will benefit massively from the core architecture/performance work we are doing. However "Rome wasn't built in a day" and this will take patient months of collaborative effort. I place emphasis on the word patient.

I'm going to ask publicly that you rename the LibreELEC-AML github org to Community-LE or AML-Community or something else of your choosing that does not have LibreELEC as the main element of its name. Its appearance has caused some confusion with a couple of potential partners we are having tentative but positive conversations with. We have absolutely no issue with you running your own community development org. We do have an issue if that org portrays itself to be LE, or is easily confused for something official.

I will also publicly offer again, that If you would like to actually talk about things (Skype or similar) and resolve some of the misunderstandings that you have about how our project operates and the status-quo of certain things, you have my personal contact details and are welcome to reach out at any time.

• With all due respect, if one takes a little bit of time to read the first paragraph of this post, he/she will notice the following statement:

"These are unofficial, community supported builds so please post all bugs/issues in this forum area only."

If some "potential partners" got confused by the appearance of a community build, in a forum... well... that takes the "partner" meaning to a whole other level :)

As for the Pi, I had a couple of them and have gave up, due to their common limitations. After searching for an Android Box that would allow me to support Netflix and Emby (legal BR Rips), I chose AMLogic.

When I found out that I had the possibility to run Kodi + Emby Add-On and Adaptive Inputstream, properly, instead of using a poorly optimized OS (damn I hate Android and every other vendor that does crappy firmware [Beelink... I'm looking at you!]) I was super happy and even with the current lack of support from AMLogic (lack of libs), I was happy. And by the looks of it, everyone else in this sub-forum/posts where super happy and thankful.

GDPR-2 and afl1 Thank you for all your hard work and willingness to offer others more options to run their prefered setup! I wish you all the best. Happy New Year :)

Personally, a big thank you also to LibreELEC (I've been around since the very beginning of OpenELEC and Pi). But from what I see, this is going on a direction that I don't reflect myself.

Gone. Apple and MRMC, here I come!

Cheers,

anthonws.

• Thank you GDPR-2 for your work and efforts in the last months!

I have always seen you as a competent and willing developer/supporter for LE :)

Have a good time and perhaps we will read in some forums contributions from GDPR-2!

• We choose not to work with Android box vendors who ship "fully loaded" piracy devices that harm Kodi. We choose not to work with cheap manufacturers who provide terrible support for low-quality hardware and expect us to provide free support and software in return for a couple of samples and the opportunity to put their logo on our download page. In fact many of our contributors purchase their own hardware (or allow the project to buy) to avoid feeling beholden to a manufacturer because they accepted something for free. This position does sadly narrow the options on who to work with a bit, and the approach where we have bona-fide vendors like WeTek/HK having 'official' releases causes a problem because everyone else wants to be official too.

Sorry, I do not agree.

The main goal of the Open-source community is to provide support for everything for free and, usually, in their free time. Thousands and thousands of drivers have been made by the community for years, from the very beginning a new hardware is out in the street till nobody, but the deveoloper, uses them, doing reverse engineering, somehow overriding and patching whatever similar libraries are found, etc. Never mind, against all odds! That's the spirit!! Laughing at huge enterprises which only provide (sometimes quite poor and crappy) Windows (and/or Mac) opaque support! (Nowadays, this has mainly evolved to cheap and crappy little brief companies/chips/devices with Android support).

Another completely different war is to battle Kodi logos and trademarks in those chinese devices you say, believe me, and that is nothing related to this issue.

Anyway, do not blame a child for whatever his father or ancestors did to you.