[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• Well, the TV I'm using to set up the Beelink (a secondary 24" 1080p Samsung) is just using just a straight HDMI cable, no receiver or pass through boxes. This is also the same TV and HDMI cable I setup and tested several Beelink MINI MXIII's (S905) with Libreelec 7 and everything worked fine.

I'm also at a loss because it seems I've done everything correctly. I'll hook the Beelink up to my main Samsung TV tonight prior to trying anything else. My main setup is a Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi, and refresh switching works fine with that and my main TV. If refresh rate changing doesn't work with the Beelink and my main TV, i'll know it's in the box, since the chain works correctly now with the Shield TV.

Could you please post the output of these commands (use pastebin or similar):

Code
    cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap
    cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid
  • For people who for some reason want to try 64bit 8.0.1e : LE – Google Drive
    LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-8.0-devel-20170410203842-r25790-g06d73ed.img.gz
    [built verbatim from kszaq repository]
    You can also find some TV related addons
    pvr.hts-3.4.19.1.zip
    pvr.iptvsimple-2.4.8.1.zip
    pvr.mythtv-5.0.9.1.zip
    service.tvheadend42-8.1.110.zip
    and some more LE addons in 'addons' directory.

• My sound and video playback requirements are very modest and since version 8.0.1b everything has been working wonderfully. What I have noticed however is that since 8.0.1c lag has been introduced into the time between when an interface action is shown on the screen (for example moving down through the menus) and when a user interface sound plays. The lag appears to occur primarily with the first interface action and sound timing then 'catches up' with onscreen action. The effect on the ears when rapidly moving through the menus is then first a lag and then rapid-fire staccato of the previously delayed interface sounds. I have turned interface sounds off for the time-being and this doesn't bother me. But I could imagine that at first glance other users may perceive the lag in sound as a slow overall interface reaction (which it is not).

• Hey guys, having time off but still have Tapatalk. [emoji56]

Please observe if there are any audio issues in the dev build compared to 8.0.1e. I haven't posted any changelog but there is a fix for better fractional frame rates support and a change in audio handling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi kszaq,

the audio upsampling for 2channel PCM over S/PDIF (44.1 -> 48) is fixed in your devel-version 'LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-devel-20170409011740-r25791-g1fb98dc'. :) It was there in version 8.0.1e and former versions, but now it's gone and audio quality is great (as good as it was in 7.0.2.009). Please keep this bugfix for future versions.

Now music is played with the correct bitrate (44.1k) for standard audio, 48k for some rare audio files with 48k (e.g. sStereo DVD audio stream). Also the 5.1 passthrogh is working fine and with the correct bitrate (typically 48k).

I continue testing this devel-version and give feedback if I find any issue.

Cheers,
    ippon

• Could you please post the output of these commands (use pastebin or similar):

Code
    cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap
    cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/edid

I think kubrickdave is on something here. You have to at least try to set the Kodi UI at 24hz to see if you can sync on that refresh rate. I get the feeling that you suffer from the same thing that happened to me on my MiniMXIII (S905) a couple of days ago, where the only resolutions available are 1080p60hz and 720p60hz. It was working fine in the past but since 8.0.1e update I lost syncing at 50hz and 24hz on my tv. My display also developed a strange flickering even on the UI (Confluence). I even downgraded down to LE 7.0.3.12j and the only thing fixed was the flickering. The strange thing is that booting to Android from nand, I get the same behaviour just two resolutions at 60hz available. I haven't used android for some months now, but I remember I had more resolutions available.

Tried everything, different cables, TVs, erase data on android, still the same. So something fishy happened on my box on one of the 8.0.1 updates, might even be a hardware failure with my HDMI port that messes the EDID info. Tomorrow I will reflash android and see if anything changes.

PS: I use the disp_cap for the time being to get the missing resolutions, but ultimately would like to know what went wrong...

Edited once, last by gamicoulas (April 10, 2017 at 9:36 PM).

• I think kubrickdave is on something here. You have to at least try to set the Kodi UI at 24hz to see if you can sync on that refresh rate. I get the feeling that you suffer from the same thing that happened to me on my MiniMXIII (S905) a couple of days ago, where the only resolutions available are 1080p60hz and 720p60hz. It was working fine in the past but since 8.0.1e update I lost syncing at 50hz and 24hz on my tv. My display also developed a strange flickering even on the UI (Confluence). I even downgraded down to LE 7.0.3.12j and the only thing fixed was the flickering. The strange thing is that booting to Android from nand, I get the same behaviour just two resolutions at 60hz available. I haven't used android for some months now, but I remember I had more resolutions available.

Tried everything, different cables, TVs, erase data on android, still the same. So something fishy happened on my box on one of the 8.0.1 updates, might even be a hardware failure with my HDMI port that messes the EDID info. Tomorrow I will reflash android and see if anything changes.

PS: I use the disp_cap for the time being to get the missing resolutions, but ultimately would like to know what went wrong...

This really sounds like a hardware defect, especially since you tried all of the above. You could try looking into u-boot variables with "fw_printenv" to see if there's something sketchy.

Also try grepping the kernel log for edid related errors.

Edited once, last by kubrickdave (April 10, 2017 at 9:53 PM).

• This really sounds like a hardware defect, especially since you tried all of the above. You could try looking into u-boot variables with "fw_printenv" to see if there's something sketchy.

Also try grepping the kernel log for edid related errors.e resolutions available.

For some reason for me it's the TV ... no logical reason why. When I hook my Beelink up to my main 46" Samsung, it switches to 24Hz just fine, on the 24" Samsung it stays 60Hz no matter what. I find this odd because like I said I setup several MINI MXIII's (S905) and the 24" Samsung would switch.

No clue what's different with my TV and the S905X but oh well. Maybe it is some kind of hardware conflict. I'm setting up this Beelink for a friend, now I just have to see what happens at his house, hopefully it switches. I have two other TV's in the house (Sony 4k and Insignia 1080P), ganna try it on both of those as well.

• I've tested the devel Version, picture quality, fr switch, gui speed is Best ever.
    DD, DTHD, dts, dtshd is ok. Good news we got back dd+ (eac3 plus). Bad news we lost aac 5.1 as surround is mapped to the front.

• Hey guys, having time off but still have Tapatalk. [emoji56]

Please observe if there are any audio issues in the dev build compared to 8.0.1e. I haven't posted any changelog but there is a fix for better fractional frame rates support and a change in audio handling.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Bitstream audio works fine, but with PCM my AVR reports Multichannel 7.1, but there is only 2ch front L/R.
    [hr]

Bitstream audio works fine, but with PCM my AVR reports Multichannel 7.1, but there is only 2ch front L/R.

PS. Sounds like Multichannels are downmixed to stereo.

Edited once, last by 2re (April 11, 2017 at 9:04 AM).

• This really sounds like a hardware defect, especially since you tried all of the above. You could try looking into u-boot variables with "fw_printenv" to see if there's something sketchy.

Also try grepping the kernel log for edid related errors.

Looks like it. Using the disp_cap hack I can make those resolutions available and everything works fine except for the flickering which is happening on the 8.0.1 releases. :huh: But without it the box reports that only 60hz is available even on android from nand. I've been moving that box between houses every week, so I guess all that plugging and unplugging on the HDMI port has probably caused some sort of a failure... :-/

• Am I just being an idiot that I cannot get my Rii i8 mini keyboard nor my Flirc USB to work? Both work fine on my MXQ Pro 4k in Android, but as soon as I use this ( LibreElec with the proper dtb file from the repo) build via the SD card, they refuse to work. I am trying to, at the very least, get my Harmony 700 to work with the box, but apart from some basic things (navigation, OK etc.) other buttons will simply not work.
    I figured the FLIRC would just emulate a keyboard like it does in Android, but it seems that all IR signals are only picked up by the IR receiver from the box itself. I have no idea if the Flirc is even 'turned on'... ?

Apart from that; great build. Finally able to use HD audio which is very much welcome in my set up :D If I can simply get my Flirc/Harmony remote to work properly that would be awesome )

Edit: To answer my own question; Yes I am an idiot. I use the dtb.img file for the MXQ Pro 4k, but turns out I have a P212, not a P200 device (so 905x vs 905). Used the right file this time and all is working fine.

I will go into a corner now and mumble about my noobness...:$

Edited once, last by Notna (April 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM).

• Looks like it. Using the disp_cap hack I can make those resolutions available and everything works fine except for the flickering which is happening on the 8.0.1 releases. :huh: But without it the box reports that only 60hz is available even on android from nand. I've been moving that box between houses every week, so I guess all that plugging and unplugging on the HDMI port has probably caused some sort of a failure... :-/

gamicoulas, I have had exactly the same problem as you crop up on one of my test boxes (a Sumvision Cyclone 4+). Suddenly, the only resolutions available are 1080p60 and 720p60, both in Libreelec and Android. Reflashing the Android firmware has made no difference, but like you, using the disp_cap hack and all works ok in Libreelec (but I'm not seeing any flickering).

Interestingly, in the output for DMESG, I see this:

Code
    [    2.000691@0] hdmitx: system: [edid_rx_data] err = -6
    [    2.000718@0] hdmitx: edid: 80 errors between two reading
    [    2.005444@0] hdmitx: edid: check sum invalid
    [    2.009757@0] hdmitx: edid: blk0 raw data
    [    2.013756@0] a0fc7e27c0ffffffd0635501c0ffffff08000010000000009088c301c0ffffff
    [    2.013756@0] 00fd7e27c0ffffff58137b01c0ffffffd00fcc01c0ffffff0080bd01c0ffffff
    [    2.013756@0] 0020b701c0ffffffd412cc01c0ffffff8083fa35c0ffffff2000000000000000
    [    2.013756@0] 000000000000000000c07e27c0ffffff8083fa35c0ffffff0000000000000000

"check sum invalid" means the data coming in over HDMI is somehow corrupt but I have tried different cables and connect to different TVs but get the same thing. I do use this as a test box and it gets plugged in/unplugged more often than normal, but this is an odd fault if it is a physical thing, as all other aspects of the hdmi connection are fine.

I was going to put it down to a hardware problem but now that you have reported it, I'm not so sure. I have had a quick look at the uboot variables with fw_printenv and compared them to another S905 box I have, but there are a lot of them and nothing obvious jumps out. I don't want to start changing any in case I brick it. Does anyone know a way of completely resetting the variables back to factory defaults? Does flashing android firmware do that?

• The new development build LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-devel-20170409011740-r25791-g1fb98dc.tar Seems to be working well for me, I haven't tested it thoroughly enough to say for sure but it is behaving itself. :D

Interesting - in this development version works correctly audio with sample rate 44.1 kHz ( (bit perfect without up-sampling to 48 kHz). Maybe because default frame rate audio output in LE is setting to 44.1 kHz now. Super!
    But seems, there are another problems - I have jerky playback with 60Hz video for example. I must more testing...

• gamicoulas, I have had exactly the same problem as you crop up on one of my test boxes (a Sumvision Cyclone 4+). Suddenly, the only resolutions available are 1080p60 and 720p60, both in Libreelec and Android. Reflashing the Android firmware has made no difference, but like you, using the disp_cap hack and all works ok in Libreelec (but I'm not seeing any flickering).

Interestingly, in the output for DMESG, I see this:

Code
    [    2.000691@0] hdmitx: system: [edid_rx_data] err = -6
    [    2.000718@0] hdmitx: edid: 80 errors between two reading
    [    2.005444@0] hdmitx: edid: check sum invalid
    [    2.009757@0] hdmitx: edid: blk0 raw data
    [    2.013756@0] a0fc7e27c0ffffffd0635501c0ffffff08000010000000009088c301c0ffffff
    [    2.013756@0] 00fd7e27c0ffffff58137b01c0ffffffd00fcc01c0ffffff0080bd01c0ffffff
    [    2.013756@0] 0020b701c0ffffffd412cc01c0ffffff8083fa35c0ffffff2000000000000000
    [    2.013756@0] 000000000000000000c07e27c0ffffff8083fa35c0ffffff0000000000000000

"check sum invalid" means the data coming in over HDMI is somehow corrupt but I have tried different cables and connect to different TVs but get the same thing. I do use this as a test box and it gets plugged in/unplugged more often than normal, but this is an odd fault if it is a physical thing, as all other aspects of the hdmi connection are fine.

I was going to put it down to a hardware problem but now that you have reported it, I'm not so sure. I have had a quick look at the uboot variables with fw_printenv and compared them to another S905 box I have, but there are a lot of them and nothing obvious jumps out. I don't want to start changing any in case I brick it. Does anyone know a way of completely resetting the variables back to factory defaults? Does flashing android firmware do that?

Sometime Kodi appear out of the screen and freeze when I boot my Tronsmart S95 Box, my remote don't respond and I must unplug and plug the box two or tree time to solve the problem.

I have three boxes to different setup with same problem

Have an idea what can cause this?