Posts by Whitesak

After few days of research and testing, there are some new information about playback MQA files on LibreELEC:

Good message: LibreELEC is full capable of playing MQA content with full quality. But external DAC with full MQA support is necessary for right full working .

Why? LibreELEC (KODI) isn't MQA player, it means LE cannot recognizes MQA content inside normal FLAC (PCM) files or streams, plays all MQA files as normal PCM and plays from MQA files core content only, usually as normal 44,1/16 and maximally as 48/24, depending of MQA core file or stream. Because of LE don't recognize MQA content and don't have MQA playback license, LE cannot makes first unfold MQA file and if we have MQA DAC as renderer only, DAC don't recognize MQA content and plays core only.

But because LE plays audio content as bit perfect (except DSD) we can play full MQA with full quality files if we have DAC MQA full decoder (not renderer only).

In this configuration all are working perfectly, LE plays MQA files without problem, DAC right recognizes MQA content and makes final MQA unfold with full original quality without problem. It works from file on filesystem, works perfect with TIDAL Master and TIDAL2 addon and works also as stream from my Android phone with mconnect application streamed via DLNA to LE

My configuration: LE on RPi and IFi ZEN DAC V2 connected via USB.

Last remain is unsolved. Bit perfect playing DSD (SACD) format.

Problem is, LE always does transcoding DSD format to PCM. I cannot find way, how to sent DSD stream from LE to my DAC without transcoding to PCM.

Hi guys,

is possible to play correct mqa files from Tidal or mqa files?

I have Tidal Master subscription, TIDAL2 addon and external USB DAC (with working mqa HW decoder, of course).

But, unfortunately all MQA Tidal streams my DAC plays as “normal” PCM (FLAC). The same problem is with playing MQA files from filesystem.

CoreELEc maybe provides for all mqa streams some transcoding and sending it as PCM to DAC and DAC cannot recognize MQA and to do MQA unfold.

I cannot find right settings in CoreELEC (Kodi) for playing mqa streams.

Maybe some settings for DIRECT USB play is necessary…

I think, it's similar problem as is mentioned in thread DSD / SACD Audio Playback because for right using external USB DAC we need bit perfect digital passthrough without transcoding to PCM.

Can you help me somebody?

Is possible play full quality MQA on CoreELEC (S905x3)?

Thank you …

“Picture Mode” / “Aspect ratio” change “16:9” to “Just scan”.
    I had a friend with these issues on older Samsung or LG and i remember the Overscan was somewhere in the settings above.

Yes, exactly as Kostaman wrote. Settings on TV must be to "Just scan". In this case is no overscan and adjusting in KOdi is no necessary. In other cases overscan is visible.
    It is on my old LG TV.

It's smooth. Only those subtitles stutter issue. Most of us are not native english spekaers and we watch movies with subtitles.
    Can you have a look at this problem?
    I did mention about it in post #2,847 and attached a sample so you can easily reproduce it.
    You're alpha and omega here :) Hats off to your work. Absolutely invaluable.

S905 box, kszaq last develop version LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1-devel-2017-05-05.
    I have no stuttering issues with watching of movies with subtitles. All files play smoothly without and with subtitles too. Including test sample file above...
    Maybe S905 and S905X difference? Or some setting problem?

Today's build to test:
    LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1-devel-2017-05-05.tar

Changes: a little bit less stuttering with problematic samples.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi, I have tested devel build LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1-devel-2017-05-05. It seems absolutely perfect on my S905 box. All my media and test files play with no frame skips, perfectly smoothly and without problem.
    Note: Is interesting - if I switch on video processing info (Ctrl-Shift-O), frame skips is started and video playback is jerky. And when I switch info off, then video playback is smooth again and seems there are no frame skips again.
    But as i wrote - with normal playback is everything OK :)

I have tested also afl1 test build from 2.5. (LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1j-test-I.tar) from here. But unfortunately this build is not good for me. There are massive frame skips again on my test files.
    It is strange, because somebody wrote, that this version has no problem. How is it possible? How difference can be in our boxes?
    Thank you for your work!

8.0.1i is available to download from Index of /s905/8.0.1i/

Changes include chapter skip/channel switch improvements from afl1, CEC improvement from GDPR-1, THD/Atmos fix, audio noise on boot fix, high bitrate video playback fix and backported Ethernet driver from Nougat kernel - Amlogic says in commit history that suspend should now work...

Hi,
    thank you very much for your work again.
    This version, seems, very good.
    All my problematic files play very smoothly again and Dobly THD plays too. Audio files with all sample rate play perfectly.
    Perfect work! Coffee for you is on the way again... Thanks!

This issue I also found on my KI Plus (S905).

Hi guys, thank you for your help.
    I have tested versions 8.0.1b, c, d, e, f, h (version g I skipped).
    Last version where I had no problem with this test files is "d". There are all files plays smoothly and Dolby THD plays correctly. From version "e" to "h" I have jerky playing on some files (seems some 30fps high bitrate files) and no Dolby THD. All version tested on the same setup. LAN connect is no problem, the same result is on USB. AV receiver works properly, there is no problem too.
    Thank you very much for your work!

Try to update to my version LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1i-I.tar (Copy it to /storage/.upgrade and reboot box.)
    I have no issue to play jellyfish-140-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv smoothly with TrueHD passthrough. No drops, no skips.

Hi, thank you.
    Jellyfish plays smoothly without drops and skips, but I have no sound - Dolby THD Passthrough is not working.
    Peter Gabriel and Italy demo plays still very jerky with lot of frame skips.

Hi, version 8.0.1h:
    I still have problem with jerky (stutter) playback and massive frame skips on some videos. And next, all files with Dolby THD still are without audio playback (DTS HDMA works properly).
    Test files are described above. Records from camera of TV screen from playing from test files and with enabled Ctrl-Shift-O info, you can fiind here:
    Peter_Gabriel_CAMSCR.mp4, Italy_CAMSCR.mp4, Jelly_Fish_CAMSCR.mp4

Kodi log here: log-2017-04-28-20.14.01.zip

Dolby THD passthrough works fine here with my avr setup.

All files worked fine on my wetek hub (S905 with GBit network) over SMB.

Tested also S905 with 100MBit network, played Samsung and Gabriel video without problems.
    S905X with 100 MBit only played the Gabriel video, the samsung video playback was interrupted by buffering.
    One more idea for Whitesak: Did you make any adjustments in advancedconfig.xml? If so, please remove the file temporarily and check again. I use regular settings only.

Hi, it's very interesting and strange.
    Thank you for your advice, but unfortunately no.
    My setup: MXV+ S905 1GB 1Gbit LAN, NAS on Gbit LAN, LE connected to NAS via NFS and Gbit LAN. My tests are always on clean install from scratch, without addons and without "tuning" with advancedsettings.xml, regular settings only.
    And I really have some issues on my posted sample videos. It's started from 8.0.1e version. On versions "c and "d" all videos play smoothly and correctly.
    1. Test file "Peter Gabriel" - here pls ignore small "blackout" on first 6 seconds - it's maybe cutting problem. But after this, video play little jerky. Not to much, but it's visible-
    2. "Samsung Italy" 4k video: Again, it's playable, but jerky. It's very visible.
    3. Hi bitrate "Jelly fish": This video is, in fact, unplayable. Video sometime stops for a moment and Dolby THD doesn't play.
    The same configuration with version "d" has no problem and all test files plays smoothly and correctly.

EDIT: There are log and dmesg files, maybe will be useful: log-2017-04-17-16.12.45.zip , dmesg.txt