Full correct MQA (Tidal) playback with external USB DAC

• Hi guys,

is possible to play correct mqa files from Tidal or mqa files?

I have Tidal Master subscription, TIDAL2 addon and external USB DAC (with working mqa HW decoder, of course).

But, unfortunately all MQA Tidal streams my DAC plays as “normal” PCM (FLAC). The same problem is with playing MQA files from filesystem.

CoreELEc maybe provides for all mqa streams some transcoding and sending it as PCM to DAC and DAC cannot recognize MQA and to do MQA unfold.

I cannot find right settings in CoreELEC (Kodi) for playing mqa streams.

Maybe some settings for DIRECT USB play is necessary…

I think, it's similar problem as is mentioned in thread DSD / SACD Audio Playback because for right using external USB DAC we need bit perfect digital passthrough without transcoding to PCM.

Can you help me somebody?

Is possible play full quality MQA on CoreELEC (S905x3)?

Thank you …

• You can play MQA with LE on an Intel NUC, as you can see here: Click!

Did you realized that this forum is about LE, not CE?

Hi,

sorry for my mistake.

But I have Raspberry Pi with LibreELEC too. I will try it.

Unfortunately, I afraid for the same resume. I know, DSD and MQA is playing on LibreELEC, but DAC don't receive original DSD and MQA stream, but transcoded PCM. It's true or not?

• After few days of research and testing, there are some new information about playback MQA files on LibreELEC:

Good message: LibreELEC is full capable of playing MQA content with full quality. But external DAC with full MQA support is necessary for right full working .

Why? LibreELEC (KODI) isn't MQA player, it means LE cannot recognizes MQA content inside normal FLAC (PCM) files or streams, plays all MQA files as normal PCM and plays from MQA files core content only, usually as normal 44,1/16 and maximally as 48/24, depending of MQA core file or stream. Because of LE don't recognize MQA content and don't have MQA playback license, LE cannot makes first unfold MQA file and if we have MQA DAC as renderer only, DAC don't recognize MQA content and plays core only.

But because LE plays audio content as bit perfect (except DSD) we can play full MQA with full quality files if we have DAC MQA full decoder (not renderer only).

In this configuration all are working perfectly, LE plays MQA files without problem, DAC right recognizes MQA content and makes final MQA unfold with full original quality without problem. It works from file on filesystem, works perfect with TIDAL Master and TIDAL2 addon and works also as stream from my Android phone with mconnect application streamed via DLNA to LE

My configuration: LE on RPi and IFi ZEN DAC V2 connected via USB.

Last remain is unsolved. Bit perfect playing DSD (SACD) format.

Problem is, LE always does transcoding DSD format to PCM. I cannot find way, how to sent DSD stream from LE to my DAC without transcoding to PCM.

Edited 2 times, last by Whitesak (January 17, 2022 at 7:56 PM).

• Not yet. Its seems, It's not simply. I afraid , I will need help for configuration file and so on...

I would like simply play DSD file from LE (KODI) GUI and send it to my USB DAC connected to my LE device. Is it possible with MPD?

What is needed install and cofigure please? MPD server LE addon, MPD server configuration file, MPD Client LE addon,...?

Thx

• What's your experience with the MPD add-on (see my post #5)?

I have installed and configured mpd and everything is working. DSD files play correctly and MQA files too.

I control it via Android M.A.L.P application. Is there some mpd client addon for LE?

• Whitesak - I have started looking at your issue - but could you please share the error / missing dependency that you are getting.

There were some build issues with mpd a while ago, but these are closed.

I checked the currency of mpd and it is the latest - a minor update to mpd-mpc is the only potential update.