Posts by renzz

I've got a possibly strange issue, and i don't know what could possibly resolve this. I have noticed that when watching x.265 media at 1080p and specifically at 1920x804 resolution, i get an extra really dark black bar under the video but on top of the normal black bars for this type of resolution. Somehow this is an extra dark bar about 5/8" tall on my 60" TV. I have not noticed this in the past with my previous Kodi systems, and it doesn't show up when i watch a 1920x804 media using x.264 on this same machine.

So, i was thinking that it may be that my TV can handle full RGB signal and this black bar is full color, but the other space is not. Or, this could be an image placement issue because the regular black bars on the top and bottom are the same size, this 5/8" bar is purely extra and the video plus this extra bar is centered vertically on my TV.

Therefore, I'm wondering if I can switch to Full RGB output on my s905x system and that would fix this issue (I haven't been able to find any information yet on how to actually change this yet). Or, if there is some setting or config file that i need to change in order to space this 1920x804 resolution x.265 video better on my screen in order to eliminate this extra black bar. I'd be happy to provide any additional debug logs if needed.

Please let me know what i can do to help fix this issue. Just because this sounds like i'm extremely picky or just confused, I have taken a picture with my phone and pointed out the extra black bar. Let me know if anyone can think of anything. Thanks.

Yes, I've seen this as well, also on SD material encoded with x265. I think it's a decoder bug caused by the vertical resolution not being mod 16 (ie not being divisible by 16 exactly). In your case 804 divided by 16 is 50.25 - I've found that if you encode so the height is 800 or 816, the bar disappears.

Not sure if anything can be done to fix this, especially as work on this particular build has finished. Might be worth trying it on the Leia build to see if it's been fixed there, or can be fixed.

kszaq i am experiencing some weir behaviour when the resolucion is 1920*1080 50hz is like the vnc image was not centered...

Did anyone manage to solve this issue? When my Libreelec box is running at 1920x1080 I get this problem - connect using VNC and you only see part of the screen. Run the box at 1280x720 and VNC works fine and you can see the whole screen.

Is this something that could be fixed?

Thanks

kszaq Yes, I have. I've just deleted dtb.img, re-copied gxl_p212_1g_nand.dtb and renamed to dtb.img again just in case I'd done it wrong but I still get the same error.

I'm no Linux expert but the blkid command doesn't show a partition for /dev/system which I think I should have (going by your post on how to use internal storage while booting from SD)

Code
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="df3b6172" PTTYPE="dos"
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="42C4-ECBA" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="df3b6172-01"
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="LIBREELEC_DISK" UUID="ca4b8b63-b5f9-4f1d-913a-41343a714d98" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="df3b6172-02"

Thanks

I've just bought two new S905X boxes (SMBOX 2), and they work fine with 8.1.9 when I boot from an SD card. However, I want to install to internal (I will never need to run Android) but when I run the 'Installtointernal' command I get

Code
    Formatting SYSTEM partition...The file /dev/system does not exist and no size was specified.

Indeed, there is no system folder under /dev:

I've tried both the standard DTB file (gxl_p212_1g.dtb) and the alternative which the instructions say to use if libreelec can't see the internal memory (gxl_p212_1g_nand.dtb) but I get the same error.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Thank you everybody for testing and reporting on development build.

I ask once again: for any playback-related issues you have to post a link to a sample that I can reproduce the issue with.

I have posted 8.0.1f build in OP with some fixes and improvements. As always, I hope there won't be many regressions - if any. I also hope there are no derps in the build - you have to understand that I develop during sleeplessness periods and have no time to test my builds. :)

For the most part, the playback at the end of a file no longer seems to freeze for a few seconds. However, I have one file that gets to the end and then Kodi freezes for about 30-40 seconds before playback stops.

I've put a sample that does this here - yH73dwzQTh

Looks like it. Using the disp_cap hack I can make those resolutions available and everything works fine except for the flickering which is happening on the 8.0.1 releases. :huh: But without it the box reports that only 60hz is available even on android from nand. I've been moving that box between houses every week, so I guess all that plugging and unplugging on the HDMI port has probably caused some sort of a failure... :-/

gamicoulas, I have had exactly the same problem as you crop up on one of my test boxes (a Sumvision Cyclone 4+). Suddenly, the only resolutions available are 1080p60 and 720p60, both in Libreelec and Android. Reflashing the Android firmware has made no difference, but like you, using the disp_cap hack and all works ok in Libreelec (but I'm not seeing any flickering).

Interestingly, in the output for DMESG, I see this:

Code
    [    2.000691@0] hdmitx: system: [edid_rx_data] err = -6
    [    2.000718@0] hdmitx: edid: 80 errors between two reading
    [    2.005444@0] hdmitx: edid: check sum invalid
    [    2.009757@0] hdmitx: edid: blk0 raw data
    [    2.013756@0] a0fc7e27c0ffffffd0635501c0ffffff08000010000000009088c301c0ffffff
    [    2.013756@0] 00fd7e27c0ffffff58137b01c0ffffffd00fcc01c0ffffff0080bd01c0ffffff
    [    2.013756@0] 0020b701c0ffffffd412cc01c0ffffff8083fa35c0ffffff2000000000000000
    [    2.013756@0] 000000000000000000c07e27c0ffffff8083fa35c0ffffff0000000000000000

"check sum invalid" means the data coming in over HDMI is somehow corrupt but I have tried different cables and connect to different TVs but get the same thing. I do use this as a test box and it gets plugged in/unplugged more often than normal, but this is an odd fault if it is a physical thing, as all other aspects of the hdmi connection are fine.

I was going to put it down to a hardware problem but now that you have reported it, I'm not so sure. I have had a quick look at the uboot variables with fw_printenv and compared them to another S905 box I have, but there are a lot of them and nothing obvious jumps out. I don't want to start changing any in case I brick it. Does anyone know a way of completely resetting the variables back to factory defaults? Does flashing android firmware do that?

I've just tried that on 8.0.1d and I think that may well have fixed it :D

Thank you very much

I was having this problem as well and this has fixed it in terms of no more stuttering. However, I am intermittently seeing the Kodi CodecInfo screen show that it is NOT using hardware decoding, but has dropped into software decoding with ffmpeg:

Note also it shows FPS as 0.000

Please see the debug log at SVXT. I had several attempts to generate this issue so only the last file played in the log had the problem - all previous files played were showing as using the HW decoder.

I'm not convinced it IS falling back to software only as the CPU usage doesn't seem high enough.

I should also say I'm not just seeing this on H264 files but on 1080 MPEG2 as well. Also, it isn't file specific - play a file and it shows it's using the HW decoder, then play it again and it may drop to SW decoding.

Greetings,

Dear Kszaq, this patch is really good, just the 4K channels in the TVHeadend system are instantly interrupted. But I think it can be ignored.

I mean, I think you should use it, really, channel transitions are very good.

Best regards...

I disagree. As per my earlier posts, this has broken live TV from DVBViewer for UK Freeview HD channels (H264). I hope kszaq rolls it back until it can be fixed properly otherwise I'm going to be stuck on 8.0.0.e.

8.0.0.f has broken Live TV for me. I'm using the DVBViewer client to a backend on the LAN, and I tune to the UK Freeview HD channels, which are H264/AAC. I am now seeing either a frozen, quarter-size image as I start the channel, or extreme picture and audio breakup after it tunes, or occasionally, it tunes and plays ok (but mostly not). Also rather oddly, bringing up the Info screen it shows the stream as 23.976 when it's actually 25fps (which normally shows as 50 due to interlacing I guess).

I've captured a debug log which shows all three situations - the first tune attempt gave a frozen quarter-size image, the second played ok, and the third gave a full-size image but it was constantly breaking up and was unwatchable. On the later, bringing up the debug info shows vq at 0 most of the time. When it works vq is quite high.

Playback for recorded files from these channels (over SMB) works fine.

Kodi log at hETJ

I've gone back to 8.0.0.e which works fine.

I still get a stutter occasionally (that stopping and starting fixes) on Krypton builds but I can't reproduce reliably it or find anything that always does it so I haven't been able to report anything. I never had it at all on Jarvis.

I see exactly the same as you on the current Krypton build (since 23.976 playback was fixed) - sometimes playback will start stuttering on 23.976 material (and skip frame count slowly increases). I find simply pausing playback for a few seconds and then continuing fixes it. As you say, it's impossible to reproduce reliably and I may see it after a few minutes into playback, or after an hour-plus (but mostly I don't see it at all). I wonder if enabling diags in kodi AFTER it starts would be any help?