LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 Beta1

• I updated from 9.0.2 to this version and my live-tv headend setup broke.

Installed before: libreelec-generic.x86_64-9.0.2.img.gz

The broken version: libreelec-generic.x86_64-9.1.501.img.gz

I was able to recover to the working state/version by putting the LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.0.2.img.gz into /storage/.update/ and rebooting.

This is the kodi.log output with 9.1.501:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I updated from 9.0.2 to this version and my live-tv headend setup broke.

I guess your Tvheadend wasn't updated, so you still had an old version installed that is not working with 9.2. So manually force an update should already fix it. Also your internet connection looks not working -> no connection to repo -> no updates :)

• Internet connection was there. Strange why it reported that wrong. Its a LAN cable connection that always simply works.

But yes, i have not searched for the addon updates. After updating the addons its working fine again. Thanks!

• I've been using all alphas and now this beta on my RPi4 which is connected to a 1080p projector.

What I've noticed is that when video output is 1080p@24hz and playing video that is 24fps (23,976) there is a lot of irregular stutter, regardless if "sync video to display" is enabled or not. The ctrl+shift+o menu reports no drops or skips, but playback is perceived as if there are significant framedrops.

On the other hand if I use 1080p@60hz then there is no stutter at all, however my projector does pulldown poorly and panning looks less smooth (no stutter but what I think is called judder?).

I've had my projector for many years and using a more powerful machine, i.e. my gaming PC, I can do 1080p@24hz with perfect video playback in Kodi. I understand that the RPi4 is not nearly as powerful, but since there is not stutter in 60hz I don't think it's a performance issue but a GPU driver issue.

• Tenbrink

From my experience the codec used in the production of the video being played is important. There is limitations to the Rasp pi, but they are perfectly acceptable IMO.

h264 and h265 run without stutters.

I have found some files that are encoded outside the DVR recording standards struggle because as you have noticed they need more processing power to smoothly play the video.

This is just something we need to accept with Rasp Pi 4b.

The silver linning is h265 4k buffers and plays faster than on my main pc, but some of the larger and questionable hevc encodes are touch and go.

Others have mentioned it in the past but reencoding your videos might be something worth considering. As a audio video nerd h265 file sizes are relatively tiny compared to their counterparts. So reencoding could help free up space but may take a little time working out some good settings.

I've made posts on other places about understanding and accepting the limitations of Rpi4, who knows we could be one revision of the board away from playing the files you are having problems with.

• I've been using all alphas and now this beta on my RPi4 which is connected to a 1080p projector.

What I've noticed is that when video output is 1080p@24hz and playing video that is 24fps (23,976) there is a lot of irregular stutter, regardless if "sync video to display" is enabled or not. The ctrl+shift+o menu reports no drops or skips, but playback is perceived as if there are significant framedrops.

On the other hand if I use 1080p@60hz then there is no stutter at all, however my projector does pulldown poorly and panning looks less smooth (no stutter but what I think is called judder?).

I've had my projector for many years and using a more powerful machine, i.e. my gaming PC, I can do 1080p@24hz with perfect video playback in Kodi. I understand that the RPi4 is not nearly as powerful, but since there is not stutter in 60hz I don't think it's a performance issue but a GPU driver issue.

Hey Tenbrink,

what you describe sound like what a few of us are discussing over here: LibreELEC 9.2 beta 1 video judder and stuttering.

The current fix, if it's that, is to try and set your audio output channels to less than 4 and see if the studder improves. There's still the odd jerk, but nothing like before. Check and see if that helps you. Like you report here, all of us checked and saw no dropped frames.

• I noticed you already pulled in kernel 5.3 in the development, also for the Pi boards, and that you are now even working on kernel 5.4 integration. That's really impressive and quite bleeding edge I might say. :) Can you shed a light on current performance just so we can get a hint of the future? Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

• I noticed you already pulled in kernel 5.3 in the development, also for the Pi boards, and that you are now even working on kernel 5.4 integration. That's really impressive and quite bleeding edge I might say. :) Can you shed a light on current performance just so we can get a hint of the future? Thanks a lot for all your hard work.

Also curious about this. Please let us know.

• I have installed LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.501 on my Rpi 4 lately. I want to use the Rpi4 as an audio server, connect only by the 3.5 audio output to an amplifier.

During the setup the Rpi4 has been connected to a TV by HDMI additionally. The Rpi4 could play back the music stored on my NAS, controlled via Yatse on my mobil phone. Everything worked fine.

As soon as I have disconnected the Rpi4 from the problems began. A few seconds after I have started the play back of music, Yatse told me, that the Rpi4 is offline (no matter if I use WLAN or Ethernet). This behaviour is reproducible.

Is there a problem to use the Rpi4 without a HDMI device? Did I miss something to configure? Is there a workaround?

Dat Ei

• I've noticed using 9.1.501 on the rPi 4 that sometimes, not a lot, but sometimes the HDMI flickers as if inputs were switched. Can be annoying when watching video and it blanks out for anywhere from 2 to 6 seconds.

Like I said, doesn't do it a lot but it happens.

• I've noticed using 9.1.501 on the rPi 4 that sometimes, not a lot, but sometimes the HDMI flickers as if inputs were switched. Can be annoying when watching video and it blanks out for anywhere from 2 to 6 seconds.

Like I said, doesn't do it a lot but it happens.

I got to ask short of reading through three pages even though that's not the worst thing in the world if I did.

But am I the only one with this issue? Because it is starting to get really annoying and I seriously would hate to go back to a Raspberry Pi 3 on 8.2.5 just to get rid of it.

But IMO, this is why saving images are important.

Edit: Ok, I'm gonna end up with an epileptic seizure and I'm not epileptic. I'm going back to an rPi 3 on 8.2.5 until 9.2 is final on the 4. Dont know what help I cam be but should anyone have any questions. I'll respond best I can.

Edited once, last by MoreBloodWine (October 16, 2019 at 6:35 AM).

• I got to ask short of reading through three pages even though that's not the worst thing in the world if I did.

But am I the only one with this issue? Because it is starting to get really annoying and I seriously would hate to go back to a Raspberry Pi 3 on 8.2.5 just to get rid of it.

But IMO, this is why saving images are important.

Edit: Ok, I'm gonna end up with an epileptic seizure and I'm not epileptic. I'm going back to an rPi 3 on 8.2.5 until 9.2 is final on the 4. Dont know what help I cam be but should anyone have any questions. I'll respond best I can.

I can think in three possible issues:

A - in settings, input devices, hdmi - configure-it NOT to switch tv input, turn on or turn off the tv.

B - try checking if your cables are ok

C - you may have a defective pi4 (mine had a non working micro hdmi 1 (had to replace it at the shop) - validate by installing a different distribution , as the official raspbian.

• Seems to do it on playback more, also does it on home menu screen sometimes, but this is the worst I've seen it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a9kadefbeb8smowyy3kapk7uyeysknzc/view?usp=drivesdk

I was thinking about defective Hardware myself. Got it off Amazon, through that one retailer that begins with a v and ends in an s.

But my return window closes on the 30th. So I'll look into that today. Because worst case scenario is it's good and I just waste my time and get another Pi but God forbid end up with a bad one. But all cables are snug as a bug in a rug as the saying goes.

But ya. I guess it wouldnt kill me to use Raspbian.

That said, could I possibly take.my SD from a Pi3 I have running bian, put it in the 4 or is that like trying to run LE 8.2.5 on the rPi 4 ?

I'll also check the setting you mentioned, but I suspect after you watch that video. You might say that's not it LOL

I wanted to add that that was with the video pause, it doesn't seem to be as bad if it's playing. So it's really weird at times in how it acts and how bad.

In addition to my last reply, this one might make me slightly sound like an idiot. But I'm having trouble finding that HDMI setting. I've looked in all the settings areas that I can think of. I even went back to the Estuary skin and I'm still having trouble.

Edited 2 times, last by MoreBloodWine (October 16, 2019 at 11:10 AM).

• in addition to the above.

I did start the return process with Amazon just for the fun of it. I'll have a second unit to play with on Friday, with them needing to receive one back by the 15th of nov, not that I'm going to wait that long. So worst case scenario is I send one back even if both turn out to be just fine.

Which if they do, then WTF is wrong with the one I got now?

• MoreBloodWine I had been having the same issues. Only once I had Libreelec set to 4K, if I played any content (4K or 1080p) the HDMI input would flicker/blink as if I was changing input or pulling at the cable. It would only do it for me when Kodi tried to do something; e.g. subtitles popped up, up next addon popup, if I pressed play/pause. Sometimes once this happened it would go crazy flicking off and on. I tried so many cables, with and without micro adapter. I had been on Reddit and other forums trying to get help and was being told it was the cables or the adapters, I was certain it was Libreelec, but no one else was experiencing the issue I was. I was ready to fill out a return form for my RPi, when I thought I would just wipe my SD card and try a fresh install (this time I noticed it was v9.1.502 I downloaded, last time I had installed v9.1.501). Everything is now working beautifully, I cant believe I had put up with this for the last few weeks... I hope this helps you also and that you get it sorted!