Posts by Liersi

Well, updated ok. But strange, right after the update, the firetv remote didn't work. Went to Bluetooth and it was there, but not connected. I tried to connect it, no luck, said auth error. Disconnected it and was able to connect but it won't control the menu anymore. Anybody else have issues?

Same with my Harmony Companion remote on RPi4. Gone. No input at all. Couldn't reconnect so far but I'll keep trying.

I've been using all alphas and now this beta on my RPi4 which is connected to a 1080p projector.

What I've noticed is that when video output is 1080p@24hz and playing video that is 24fps (23,976) there is a lot of irregular stutter, regardless if "sync video to display" is enabled or not. The ctrl+shift+o menu reports no drops or skips, but playback is perceived as if there are significant framedrops.

On the other hand if I use 1080p@60hz then there is no stutter at all, however my projector does pulldown poorly and panning looks less smooth (no stutter but what I think is called judder?).

I've had my projector for many years and using a more powerful machine, i.e. my gaming PC, I can do 1080p@24hz with perfect video playback in Kodi. I understand that the RPi4 is not nearly as powerful, but since there is not stutter in 60hz I don't think it's a performance issue but a GPU driver issue.

Hey Tenbrink,

what you describe sound like what a few of us are discussing over here: LibreELEC 9.2 beta 1 video judder and stuttering.

The current fix, if it's that, is to try and set your audio output channels to less than 4 and see if the studder improves. There's still the odd jerk, but nothing like before. Check and see if that helps you. Like you report here, all of us checked and saw no dropped frames.

You guys are on to something. I had a chance to test your audio theory and it works. More time and tests need to expand the use cases, but reducing audio output to 2 channels over HDMI immediately cleared up the judder on my go-to test sequence (a long, slow, regular pan). I tried a few different files that I'd tried before and sure engouh, gone there, too. As kro mentioned, I saw the odd judder when subs hadn't been on in a while, but so far I've seen nothing like the judder before. Now to find out what's causing it...Great job narrowing it down guys.

Just to add another voice to the pile: I'm experiencing exactly what krobolbus describes, particularly the part about it not showing in logs at all and being sporadic in nature. I keep using the same sequence, a very regular pan, to test, and sometimes it doesn't judder at all. Frame matching to video is on, matching to display is off (was never needed on Pi). Files can be 24 flat or 23.976, doesn't matter, there's irregular judder.

I'll try playing with the audio settings kro, thanks for that idea.

Anyone else having playback issues with the pi4 (1080p, h264/h265, adjust refresh rate on start/stop)?

Some files play without problem, but i have also encountered dropped frames every few seconds in some files. It is quite noticable. I started watching my h264 encode of Gladiator and it stutters every 2-3 seconds (so it drops some frames)

I also get the infamous "drop frames before first appearance of srt subtitles" in a lot of files. This happens every time a new block of subtitles appears after some time without dialog.

Are that known issues?

I don't know if it's a known issue, but I came here for the same reason. Like you say, it's only in some files, and I can't find the constant. h264/h265, 24/23.98, some fluid, some jerky. I'll try to produce some logs tonight, otherwise the good people working on this have nothing to go on. Just wanted to let you know you're not the only one seeing this.