Posts by Kefman

[...]

Also if you want DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD to be losslessly decoded, you will need to disable DD and DTS passthrough, as otherwise I think it will bitstream passthrough the lossy DD/DTS core/secondary streams rather than decode the lossless DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD losslessly to PCM 5.1/7.1.

You won't get Atmos until HD Audio bitstreaming/passthrough is supported on the Pi 4B - PCM lossless decode is only for Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA - not Dolby True HD with Atmos or DTS:x. (You may - possibly - get DD+ with Atmos - but that's not intentional and usually only used for secondary language audio streams on BD/UHD BD)

[...]

However if you want the best quality audio possible with a Pi 4B currently - disable passthrough, configure for 7.1 if you have 7.1 speakers (i.e. Front R,L, Centre, Side R, L and Rear R, L + Sub) or 5.1 if you have 5.1 speakers (note I'm ignoring 7.1.2. or 5.1.2 Atmos in this - if you have 7 speakers but 5.1.2 then configure for 5.1, if you have 9 speakers in 7.1.2 then configure for 7.1)

Interesting, thanks for your input. I had to try right away. I used a sample with Dolby HD and DTS MA in a highly non sciency test back and forth for about 30min between 5.1 7.1 and passthrough. My reciever was set to Neural:X and the same volume through out. My speaker setup is 5.1.4

7.1 seemed to give a better enveloping surround sound than 5.1.

7.1 was also slightly better than passthrough, sounded as it might have given slightly higher volume somehow...

Highly subjective and spontaneous.

DTS HD Master Audio is losslessly decoded to PCM 5.1/7.1 (and the Pi4B supports 192k/24bit at 5.1/7.1 and isn't limited to 4.0 at 192k as previous models are, I believe) - so it's only Atmos that your Home Theatre is crying for? (Or is stream metadata vital for your use case??)

Speaking for myself, besides Atmos I would prefer my reciever to do the decoding since it is "recoding" for my height speakers anyway. And I imagine it is better to let my dedicated (and quite expensive) reciever do the decoding even when I go with 5.1 straight.