LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• It is a known problem. Every generation of Pi has been a little bit hotter than the previous. Pi4 runs very hot - not just the CPU but several other components on the board are generating more heat than previous generation. The result is that many people consider active cooling necessary.

Flirc case will help to cool the CPU a little bit but it is a bad design because it's a mostly-sealed metal box and only sinks heat from the CPU. With many other components generating more heat, the air inside will heat up something terrible and it will slowly cook your RPi. The material also makes it much harder to cut holes for venting or add a fan.

I wonder how the Pi 4 will behave with enclosures such as these that are basically one large heat sink for all chips.Would make it easy to carry around also. I refuse to rely on active cooling. A Pi has to be completely silent to begin with, and I travel quite a lot so the less parts and wires that can break the better.

• I wonder how the Pi 4 will behave with enclosures such as these that are basically one large heat sink for all chips.Would make it easy to carry around also. I refuse to rely on active cooling. A Pi has to be completely silent to begin with, and I travel quite a lot so the less parts and wires that can break the better.

I'd expect that to work well assuming it is a large piece of aluminium with good thermal connection to SoC.

Flirc cases have historically worked very well using the same principles.

I'm also expecting the new Pi4 version of Flirc case to work well when I get to try one.

• Did one get the officially 7 "touch display with libreelec for RPi4 running?

For me it always stays on the boot screen where you see KODI v18.3 - Leia, when connecting a screen via HDMI it works.

It stays exactly at this point like picture below.

kodi_18_3_leia.jpg?itok=HTHCKIyh

Edited 2 times, last by alexamend (July 22, 2019 at 10:59 PM).

• Based on the amount of issues I've seen with the Pi4 (heat, USB power delivery, USB power issue with GPIO) I am 1000% waiting for Pi 4.1 edition in 3 to 6 months.

Also, sadfly, I wouldn't use one without a fan, period.

• Based on the amount of issues I've seen with the Pi4 (heat, USB power delivery, USB power issue with GPIO) I am 1000% waiting for Pi 4.1 edition in 3 to 6 months.

And miss out on all the debugging action? :D I'm seriously enjoying my Pi 4 despite its initial issues. Minor issues that is. It's just so much more powerful than the Pi 3. Kodi has never been so responsive on my TV screen. It feels as if there's a full blown PC hiding behind the TV somewhere. My Pi 4 is not in a case yet and that's fine. That way there is no heat issue whatsoever. And no fan mind you, just a small heat sink on the SoC. USB power delivery is fine with an original RPi power source or any plain USB charger with high enough current output. I wouldn't want to use an expensive phone or laptop charger with it anyway. I'm patiently waiting for a good case to become available where I live. And for the time being I'd still pack my Pi 3 if I wanted to use Kodi on the road. Sure there are issues but simply don't expect to make full use of the hardware yet (such as running HDR 4K60 video) and just treat it as an overclocked Pi 3 for now. The rest of the awesomeness is on its way.

And by the way, if you have lots of H.265 material such as myself then the Pi 4 actually has less issues with heat than a Pi 3. The thermometer icon regularly popped up with my Pi 3. I have yet to see it with my Pi 4.

• I've attached a small heatsink and a 40mm silent fan on my pi 4. It's all placed inside my closed TV bench.

idle temp is 34c and around 40-45c on load. Its dead silent and i can only hear the fan if i put my ear right next to the pi.

• Hi,

For all facing overheat issues, the raspberry foundation released an Alpha Firmware to reduce it :

Download the archive from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PXwrnh ... sp=sharing

With the zip file on the Pi:

Code: Select all

Code
    $ unzip vl805_update_0137a8.zip
    $ chmod a+x vl805
    $ sudo ./vl805 -w vl805_fw_0137a8.bin
    $ sudo reboot

The zip file includes the current shipping firmware (013701) in case you want to revert:

Code: Select all

Code
    $ sudo ./vl805 -w vl805_fw_013701.bin
    $ sudo reboot

You will find the full thread from their forum here :

Raspberry Pi 4 temperature - Page 11 - Raspberry Pi Forums

Hoping this could help.

Regards,

A small fan seems to be the most effective solution, you don't even need a heatsink. However I find all small/cheap fans to be junk with low-quality bearings which will not last very long. Of course, you can buy high quality fans like Noctua but they are too expensive to justify on a RPi.

• A small fan seems to be the most effective solution, you don't even need a heatsink. However I find all small/cheap fans to be junk with low-quality bearings which will not last very long. Of course, you can buy high quality fans like Noctua but they are too expensive to justify on a RPi.

Cheap fans are not that bad...I got a 4cm one from china on my Pi2 connected on the 3.3v and it's completely silent...been On for over 2 years..still going..although it's not always On....it just goes on above 55c so when rpi is idle it's OFF...

• This is just firmware for the VL805 PCI-E->USB 3.0 bridge isn't it? This is reported to reduce average idle temps by ~3C.

However there are reports that it reduces compatibility with some USB 3.0 devices - so it's worth being aware of that.

(The reason I make the point about it being USB3.0 firmware only is because there is another 'firmware' for the PI 4B - similar to the previous firmwares - that is loaded to the VideoCore before fully booting, which has also been updated to resolve frame drops on video content that played fine on previous Pi models - such as 1080p and 1080i h.264)

• Here's the original post:

Raspberry Pi 4 temperature - Page 4 - Raspberry Pi Forums

And here's an important follow-up:

Raspberry Pi 4 - new VLI firmware issues - Raspberry Pi Forums

Considering there are still some issues with the newer firmware I've flashed back to the original one, just to be sure.

• Looking at that last post, I have a question. Is this the same as the official firmware that is supposed to lower the voltage and temps of the pie?

I think this is where people are getting confused.

The above is the firmware for the VideoCore I believe - the same type of firmware as was used by previous Pis. This firmware is loaded on boot every time and handles a lot of the Pi's configuration and operation - specifically for the SoC.

The firmware that is being discussed that reduces temperatures a little (by reducing the temperature of the PCI-E->USB3.0 bridge) is firmware specifically for the USB 3.0 bridge device - and this is stored in separate EEPROM (I think) and not loaded each boot.

• I got my Pi4/4Gb yesterday, flashed the Alpha Build and after some troubles with the HDMI port (black screen) I got it running.

But now I have a problem with video playback that I cannot solve. Every video (no matter what resolution) I play seems to be "laggy" on faster camera movements. Means I have horizontal lines and a shifted picture.

Will the exchange of the 2 files (.elf/.dat) solve that issue or is there another way to fix this issue?

Sorry my english is a bit rusty..

Greets

• I got my Pi4/4Gb yesterday, flashed the Alpha Build and after some troubles with the HDMI port (black screen) I got it running.

But now I have a problem with video playback that I cannot solve. Every video (no matter what resolution) I play seems to be "laggy" on faster camera movements. Means I have horizontal lines and a shifted picture.

Will the exchange of the 2 files (.elf/.dat) solve that issue or is there another way to fix this issue?

Sorry my english is a bit rusty..

Greets

there is a new Version out since today. try flashing the .002 image. it should contain the fixes

• I think this is where people are getting confused.

The above is the firmware for the VideoCore I believe - the same type of firmware as was used by previous Pis. This firmware is loaded on boot every time and handles a lot of the Pi's configuration and operation - specifically for the SoC.

The firmware that is being discussed that reduces temperatures a little (by reducing the temperature of the PCI-E->USB3.0 bridge) is firmware specifically for the USB 3.0 bridge device - and this is stored in separate EEPROM (I think) and not loaded each boot.

This is what I assumed, but also read that libreelec ships with upgraded firmware. So, is that true? Does it flash the (Pi Hardware) firmware on (Libreelec) version updates?

• This is what I assumed, but also read that libreelec ships with upgraded firmware. So, is that true? Does it flash the (Pi Hardware) firmware on (Libreelec) version updates?

LE 9.1.002 ships with updated VideoCore / VPU firmware - the other 2 firmwares (bootloader and USB chip) which are in flash chips aren't touched.

so long,

Hias