LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• Real pain is reading from my NAS via ethernet. It's connected via gigabit network and when I try to play even 2,7k it can't buffer enough and stutter a lot. I must say that via TV (which is connected just with 100M) and my old S905X (again 100M) android box it's working fine, so it must be RPi4 or LE issue.

I've never had much luck with the Kodi userland NFS client in LE, and NFS mount storage with an autostart.sh:

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    (
    sleep 10
    mount -t nfs -overs=3,nolock 172.29.23.203:/pond/tv /storage/videos/newwatcher
    mount -t nfs -overs=3,nolock 172.29.23.203:/pond/video/film /storage/videos/film
    [... etc. ...]
    ) &

Yeah, it's pretty grotty, but it does the job. The sleep is long enough for the network to come up. This works on the Pi4 and the Khadas Vim. Couple that with a .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:

Code
    <advancedsettings>
      <cache>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <memorysize>1610612736</memorysize>
        <readfactor>10</readfactor>
      </cache>
    </advancedsettings>

and it all works.

• Hi! I've bought a Pi4 2GB to use it in my restaurant to display menus and offers. I'm trying to boot with two LG 4K Tvs connected but I get a rainbow screen. If I boot with only 1 TV connected it works. I'm wondering if it's posible to make Kodi work with more than one display connected and play different videos on each screen. Maybe it would be easier to run two instances of Kodi and sign each one to a screen. I've tried VLC and OMXplayer but I think they don't support HW HEVC decode at this moment.

Thanks!

• Why would 0-255 or 16-235 be an issue for Rec 2020 HDR10 output flagged as Rec 709 SDR?

Just trying to rule out possible causes in an effort to identify what is happening.

As it happens, there should be a fix for the "washed out" videos in the next release as MMAL required some extra support for the Rec2020 colour space that had been omitted. It would still be very nice if someone could upload a test sample or provide a link to a file that demonstrates the problem so we can fix it at the first attempt.

Also, stuttering issues with interlaced videos should be fixed in the next release.

• Just trying to rule out possible causes in an effort to identify what is happening.

As it happens, there should be a fix for the "washed out" videos in the next release as MMAL required some extra support for the Rec2020 colour space that had been omitted. It would still be very nice if someone could upload a test sample or provide a link to a file that demonstrates the problem so we can fix it at the first attempt.

Also, stuttering issues with interlaced videos should be fixed in the next release.

I got my 4GB 4B last night. First boots of both Raspbian and the LibreElec Alpha from the downloads page with my UHD TV connected to HDMI 1 didn't go well, and LibreElec TV ran in 4096x2160p mode with very odd level space (and odd pulsing audio). Disconnected and using HDMI 0 (a tight fit with a Micro HDMI->HDMI adaptor and the USB-C power connector) it worked OK, starting up in 4096x2160/24p but with correct levels.

2160p60 output is RGB 8-bit currently on my set-up.

I'll upload some Rec 2020 HLG and HDR10 content once I've tested it. SDR Rec 2020 is pretty rare - I'm not sure I have any. HLG Rec 2020 is backwards compatible with SDR Rec 2020 though - the highlights just look a bit different because of the HLG EOTF differing from BT.1886 once you get past about 75%.

BTW - other observations. Interlaced 1080i h.264 is very juddery, and 5.1 FLAC is output 2.0 (even with 5.1 configured) Totally understand this is a very early alpha - and not complaining!

*** EDIT : Watching some 2160p59.94 10-bit HEVC SDR Rec 709 content, played from a locally connected USB 3.0 ExFAT drive, I'm seeing hundreds of dropped frames too *** I'll message you with a DropBox link to some test content.

Edited 3 times, last by noggin (June 27, 2019 at 12:37 PM).

• Hi Milhouse,

I don't have a 4K TV.

I have a 6 year old Samsung 1080p TV. So I have not altered config.txt at all.

The only non-standard element of my setup, is that my kodi database is stored on a central mariadb server.

I can't post a log file at the moment as I am not at home.

Hi Milhouse,

Rpi4 is still idling at 70c+

I have uploaded the log files from Libreelec here: http://ix.io/1mut

Hope this feedback helps.

• Just trying to rule out possible causes in an effort to identify what is happening.

Hi,

I had some time yesterday and tested 4k in RPi 4 in two boxes made on 3D printer, official box from PI Foundation and unboxed. I also used a camera thermometer and the temps are really bad. Screens and video footage from 4k movie is below. The stuttering and freezing will start after the CPU have above 75°C, which is after 10 minutes of 4k playing.

Movie Info

Washed out colors

RPi in official box after 10 minutes of playing 4k movie

RPI in official box, 10 minutes in idle

RPI in official box after 10 minutes of 4k movie

RPI unboxed in idle

RPI unboxed after 10 minutes playing 4k movie

Video of stuttering

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Freestyler (June 27, 2019 at 5:02 PM).

• I've never had much luck with the Kodi userland NFS client in LE, and NFS mount storage with an autostart.sh:

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    (
    sleep 10
    mount -t nfs -overs=3,nolock 172.29.23.203:/pond/tv /storage/videos/newwatcher
    mount -t nfs -overs=3,nolock 172.29.23.203:/pond/video/film /storage/videos/film
    [... etc. ...]
    ) &

Yeah, it's pretty grotty, but it does the job. The sleep is long enough for the network to come up. This works on the Pi4 and the Khadas Vim. Couple that with a .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml:

Code
    <advancedsettings>
      <cache>
        <buffermode>1</buffermode>
        <memorysize>1610612736</memorysize>
        <readfactor>10</readfactor>
      </cache>
    </advancedsettings>

and it all works.

Thanks, i will try to set memorysize and buffermode and see if it helps.

• A quick heads up: to get 4kp60 output on RPi4 you need to add

Code
    hdmi_enable_4k=1

to config.txt as by default 4k output is limited to 30fps in the firmware.

so long,

Hias

Hi,

Do you have any tips if that doesn't work? I added it to the beginning of the file but for some reason I still can't select more than 30fps.

Also, for some reason, there are two entries for 3840x2160p in the resolution selection, but both just go up to 30FPS. HDMI Cables supports it and TV as well :/

regards,

Johnny

EDIT: Fixed by enabling the "UHD Deep Color" setting on my Samsung MU6199, more to read:

Raspberry Pi 4 Thread - general discussion - Page 16 - Raspberry Pi Forums

4K Video Playback on Raspberry Pi 4 with LibreELEC (Alpha)

Edited once, last by JohnnyCrazy (June 27, 2019 at 7:48 PM).

• So I tried to set up buffermode and memorysize and nothing happend. Still the same problem. You can see it on attached video how really bad it is.

My NAS has enabled NFS, I added NAS to Kodi file list and tried to play some video on my NAS. And this is not 4k, it's just video from my GoPro in 2,7k.

https://imgur.com/a/oxguvq3

• For the stuttering reports there is a fix. Either wait for the next LE update or grab firmware from here:

start4.elf?raw=true

fixup4.dat?raw=true

rename and replace http://start.elf/fixup.dat on the FAT partition of sdcard.

Tried that, still the same. If bitrate of movie is higher it still stuttering and if are any fast movements in movie it's laggy and not fluent. In lower bitrate movies it's ok and temperatures are lower.

• Did a fresh install of libreelec on RPi 4 and I can confirm that 3D output on HDMI to tv doesn't work. It works fine on RPi 3. Also there seems to be a refreshing and v-sync issue on RPi 4 even without 3D. Just hopping that 3D playback won't be abandoned as it's one of the main reasons why I bought Raspberry Pi in the first place. It works fine on RPi 3, but the new one supports gigabit ethernet and 5GHz wifi which makes it ideal for home media center.

• Hello Everyone,

I'm unable to get the Rpi4 to display 4k in 60Hz, it's stuck in 30Hz. I have added hdmi_enable_4k=1 to the config.txt file as well as removed videoscreen.screenmode and videoscreen.whitelist from the guisettings.xml file. Anything else I can do? Thanks in advance.

edit: Fixed it by enabling UHD mode (the one I usually need for 40k60 HDR etc.)

Edited 2 times, last by t0rnado (June 27, 2019 at 9:18 PM).

• For the stuttering reports there is a fix. Either wait for the next LE update or grab firmware from here:

start4.elf?raw=true

fixup4.dat?raw=true

Thank you so much Popcornmix, this fixes the issues I was having with frame skipping/stuttering during 24p/24Hz/23.976 (whatever you want to call it) playback on 720p/1080p x264 and HEVC content. Playback is now smooth at all times including scenes of camera panning. (I don't have a 4K TV so cannot verify 4K playback)

Thanks again! :)

• Thank you so much Popcornmix, this fixes the issues I was having with frame skipping/stuttering during 24p/24Hz/23.976 (whatever you want to call it) playback on 720p/1080p x264 and HEVC content. Playback is now smooth at all times including scenes of camera panning. (I don't have a 4K TV so cannot verify 4K playback)

Thanks again! :)

Well like I said before, 4k performance with high bitrate it's still choppy.

start4.elf?raw=true

fixup4.dat?raw=true

I had 2 issues with live tv, without setting sync playback to display, the sound was ahead of the video by about 1/2 second or so.

And I had to set deinterlace method to off, otherwise i had horrendous stutter on both SD and HD (1080p) tv streams from my tvheadend server.

Applying these 2 files has cleared up both these problems... I no longer have to keep toggling sync playback on and off when wanting passthrough when watching movies.. and tv is a lot more pleasant experience.

• Hi guys i am at the lates aplpha on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB but i notice some screen Tearing when i am in the settings or so. is a known probleme and maybe a fix for it?

• Hi guys i am at the lates aplpha on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB but i notice some screen Tearing when i am in the settings or so. is a known probleme and maybe a fix for it?

Hi, yes it's a known problem and it's mentioned in this thread on page three.