Posts by noggin

Two other things I'd mention :

1. For 2160p50 4:2:2 you need an 18Gbs HDMI 2.0-compatible cable - I ensure mine have the HDMI Premium Certified hologram (they aren't expensive). Cables that work with 2160p60 4:2:0 (which is HDMI 1.4 bandwidth) often fall over at 2160p60 4:2:2.

2. Argon cases with HDMI extenders (little PCBs internally that have MicroHDMI plugs and Micro or Full-size HDMI sockets) to bring the HDMI ports out to the rear of the case are notoriously bad quality - they don't work reliably with 18Gbs HDMI 2.0 signals.

Sounds like your HiSense only accepts 4:2:0 connections for 2160p50 and above - and not 4:2:2, but your LG accepts 4:2:2 at 2160p50 and above.

The Pi 4 and Pi 5 don't output 2160p50 and above in 4:2:0 (the Pi doesn't support 4:2:0) so that explains no 2160p60 on your HiSense from the Pi, but the LG being OK with 4:2:2 from the Pi 4/5 at 2160p60.

WRT to your Denon AVR - there are known issues between Pi5 and Pi5 and some Denon AVRs.

Da Flex sorry, but Zygmunt is correct here. With an underspecced cable you'll get signal drop outs (down to no signal at all) but you should see 4kp60 listed in settings.

Missing modes is usually caused by software/EDID issues, i.e. the AVR or TV isn't advertising the correct modes or the RPi4 hasn't been configured to 4kp60 in config.txt and thus won't use the mode, even if the TV/AVR advertises that capability.

so long,

Hias

Yes - and if the TV (or TV input used) only supports 4K60 using 4:2:0 (*) then that will also limit the connections to 2160p30 and below - as the Pi 4B doesn't support 4:2:0 output (and neither does the Pi 5?) because of the requirement for chroma subsampling in two directions (not just one)

(*) Some TVs - like my two previous Sonys - only support 'Enhanced HDMI' (i.e. 18Gbps modes like 4:2:2 12-bit 4K60) that is needed for 4K60 output from a Pi 4B on two of their HDMI ports (HDMI 2 and 3 on ours), with the other HDMI ports only accepting 4:2:0 at 2160p60 (HDMI 1 and 4). The Pi 4B was limited to 2160p30 on those two limited HDMI ports ISTR (as it was for ports HDMI 2 and 3 if the TV didn't have Enhanced HDMI enabled in settings) as you had to use a <18Gbs mode. Similarly our previous Denon AVR also had to have 'HDMI Enhanced' enabled in its settings to allow 4K60 4:2:2 (and 12-bit) to be accepted - and the front panel HDMI input didn't support it.

If the TV or TV input is flagging 4:2:0-only via EDID for 4k60 (aka 2160p60) modes then that won't be offered as a resolution by LibreElec as it will know that the Pi4B doesn't support 4:2:0?

I put it at the last line in config.txt. I tried :

# hdmi_enable_4kp60=1, #hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 and hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

Nothing. No 60Hz available. What I am doing wrong?

Why 60 Hz is not available in the LibreELEC software? I installed 11.0.6

# before a statement = ignore what follows for the rest of the line. (It's how to put comments in the file, or quickly disable something during testing without deleting it)

4k60 requires a higher quality cable as the video is carried at a higher speed and thus requires cables capable of carrying the higher bandwidth signal (Don't spend silly money - just buy one that is Premium Certified). 4K30 and below can be carried on older low-bandwidth cables.

Also - if you have an Argon One case - that can cause all sorts of problem with 4K60 as the HDMI extenders aren't HDMI 2.0 friendly in many cases.

WVC-1 is probably just a reflection that VC-1 is a Microsoft-originated codec, now ratified by SMPTE (where it got VC-1 naming) and it has Windows/WMV heritage.

All codecs have a FourCC four-character code - VC-1's is WVC1.

fourcc: WVC1

That codec info you provided confirmed it's not an interlaced issue as the video in that file is progressive.

Hello ,

yes the newer LibreElec is mostly very stable for the RK3328 Rock64 , however it still would struggle with the VC-1 content, slowing down and eventually reboot. dont know why, as it supposed to have to hardware decoding for such content. maybe the Bluray rips via makemkv is using a codec that is not so well supported?

now with the rp3 b+, the playback is smooth *with hardware keys for vc1, but again, have to disable wifi everytime manually if i load another OS, which is cumbersome.

hope to find another SBC that could work well with LibreElec sometime later.

MakeMKV rips Blu-rays and DVDs in their native codec - so a VC-1 Blu-ray is ripped in VC-1, an h.264 Blu-ray is ripped in h.264, an MPEG2 DVD or Blu-ray is ripped in MPEG2. MakeMKV doesn't change the codec or use its own - it just rips and re-wraps from VOB (DVD) or m2ts (Blu-ray) to mkv containers, also allowing you to remove certain streams (such as audio tracks or subtitles you don't want).

Some platforms cope differently with interlaced and progressive VC-1. Interlaced VC-1 is used on 1080i25/1080i29.97 TV show releases, progressive VC-1 in 1080p23.976/24 format is used for most movies and some TV shows. Often you find interlaced VC-1 is more of a problem than progressive. MediaInfo (a free solution) will tell you all you need to know about your files (run it on a PC, Mac or Linux platform)

Don't understand your comment about having to disable WiFi as you change OS. (I assume you mean as you change MicroSD card with different OSs on them in the Pi?)

I would run the Kodi desktop/GUI at 1080@60 not 4K@30. Use the mode whitelist to permit switching to 4K for media playback when needed but otherwise allow the TV to scale the 1080p skin and 1080p GUI to the panel 4K native resolution using it's native scaling capabilities that do a better job than Kodi and have no load impact on the HTPC device.

NB: The only hardware that doesn't struggle with 4K desktop output is high(er) end Intel CPUs. All ARM boards run the GUI best at 1080p.

Yes - or if you're in Europe and watch European DVDs, Live/Recorded TV, or European VoD services (like BBC iPlayer etc.) which are all 25/50fps and have frame rate matching enabled, then a default GUI rendered in 1080 at 50Hz makes sense as it avoids constant 'HDMI bonks' as your TV switches from 60Hz to 50Hz etc.

interesting

I just got pi 5 as decided to want smoother UI experience

I cant power off the Pi 5 using remote though. Using media player keys and flirc.

What happens if you navigate to the power menu and select Power Off, or map S to a key (that's the shortcut to bring up the Power Off menu)?

I've had no problems switching my Pi 5 off via those routes, and then pressing the Pi5's power button (!) switches it back on again!.

There's a config.txt entry you can enter that massively reduces current draw in shutdown (it's not - or wasn't - on by default as it can cause problems with some HATs because of which power is removed and which remains in that mode.)

fuzzy

Do you mean that it's clear that there's horizontal chroma subsampling (i.e. the text is aliasy/jaggy/soft)?

If so - wouldn't a chroma grating, multiburst or zone plate be a better test for 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4/RGB chroma?

As others have suggested - what your devices EDID states support for and how your Pi's output is configured can play a part too.

For 2160p50/60 output modes HDMI 2.0 supports 4:4:4/RGB output at 8-bit only (which isn't suitable for HDR 10-bit video - or SDR 10-bit for that matter), and I think - by default - the Pi will thus prefer HDR-friendly 4:2:2 12-bit output modes at 2160p50/60 if an option.

For 2160p24/25/30 (2160p25/30 aren't universally supported by displays) and lower resolutions you can run 4:4:4/RGB at higher bit depths - so your output refresh rate and resolution can play a part in deciding whether 4:4:4/RGB or 4:2:2 output is used ?

We loathe Argon cases but whatever you like

Glad it's not just me. Superficially they look like a great solution (IR receiver, integrated fan, nice arrangement with all IO on the back etc.)

However I lost countless hours to HDMI connectivity issues - all ended up being caused by poor quality HDMI extenders in the cases...

Switching to AUX2 on my Denon AVR-X3600H has not solved this problem.

I have just added hdmi_force_hotplug=1 to config.txt and will see what that does.

Is the AUX 2 input on your X3600H HDMI 2.1 or HDMI 2.0? (i.e. does it support 4K/120 and 8K/60?)

(If all of the inputs on your X3600H are the same that would explain the lack of difference. My previous X2400H, which was HDMI 2.0a only - and limited to 4K/60 and no 8K - exhibited very odd behaviour with LE on a Pi 4B/5)

For info - I'm running my Pi 5 4GB into my Denon X2800H (non-DAB) and an LC C3 via an EZCOO remote controlled HDMI 2.1 (i.e. 48Gbs, not 18Gbs) switch connected to Aux 2 - one of the HDMI 2.1 ports and so far have no problems. I've not changed my config.txt file

(Denon reduced the number of HDMI inputs on their newer AVRs so I'm having to upstream switch as I've run out)

noggin https://chewitt.libreelec.tv/testing/LibreE…h64-11.80.0.tar contains ^ this patch based on information from https://github.com/bluez/bluez/issues/696 and https://github.com/bluez/bluez/is…ment-1854599254 which reads like the same issue.

Thanks for this chewitt - using the above patched tar I can trust and connect using the LE add-on (though I initially used bluetoothctl to connect to test) - and so far it seems to work - no constant nags for a PIN. (No need to pair in the add-on or bluetoothctl but the controller does need to be in pairing mode - SELECT+ENTER held down gets it into pairing mode.)

I'm having the same issue trying to pair a PS3 BD Remote on a Pi 5 running LE 12 nightly from 20240106. The PS3 BD remote is a second gen one (with TV and AVR IR remote functionality) that used to work fine with older versions of LE (not sure when I last used it) and I can't pair it either via bluetoothctl or the Add On.

(I get prompts for a PIN when the remote tries to connect with the Pi5 - but 0000 and 1234 don't do anything - and I used not to have a PIN prompt I'm sure - it just paired?)

Code
    Attempting to pair with 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62
    [bluetooth]# hci0 device_flags_changed: 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62 (BR/EDR)
    [bluetooth]#      supp: 0x00000001  curr: 0x00000000
    [bluetooth]# hci0 type 7 discovering off
    [bluetooth]# hci0 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62 type BR/EDR connected eir_len 24
    [CHG] Device 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62 Connected: yes
    [BD Remote Control]# hci0 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62 auth failed with status 0x0b (Rejected)
    [BD Remote Control]# Failed to pair: org.bluez.Error.AuthenticationRejected
    hci0 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62 type BR/EDR disconnected with reason 2
    [CHG] Device 64:D4:BD:6A:C2:62 Connected: no

I found this reference to an issue https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21045

Could it be relevant?

On Pi 5 with 12.0-nightly so far no problems reproducing 1080p 4:2:2 h.264/265 video files or streaming, but Hevc UHD feeds not capable, it was supposed to reproduce via HW, but it switches to SW and the CPU goes to the limit...

UHD example...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/i0rv6rukd…+record.ts/file

Mine are all 1080i25 - not 1080p - so also need to be deinterlaced.

I've just tested and some similar files are playing for me (nighyl LE12 on Pi5):

and

(10-bit, 12-bit, and 444 variants also playing). So I guess there's something different in your files.

Interesting - those are all progressive - mine are interlaced - as will a lot of 4:2:2 media carried on broadcast uplinks (as the bulk of broadcast outside of North America - where 720p59.94 and 1080p59.94 is more of a thing - is 1080i25 or 1080i29.97 - even if it ends up 720p50 for transmission - like in Scandinavia and Germany for instance)

Had a quick look before I left - will DM you a clip when I get a chance.

I'm running LE 12 - the 20240106 nightly on a Pi 5 (6ca79da is the end suffix)

4:2:2 MPEG2 content triggers a restart from the LE splash screen

4:2:2 h.264 content also triggers a restart from the LE splash screen