Posts by trent

It removes the max-1080p cap that RPi4 has and so far all the H264 4K media I have plays fine; although I'll self-admit that I have very little 4K H264 media since it's not a broadcast standard. Normal 1080p media is no issue at all.

If you try to use it as a "daily computer" - which I know is outside the remit of this forum - then the lack of decoders for H264, AV1, VP9 - will result in very bad web browsing experience.

I have watched several reviews this morning and every time they visit Youtube it is visibly very bad.

If Pi5 lasts as long as Pi4 - 4 years - then lack of AV1 decoding is going to be a glaring deficiency during it's life.

I have an issue with key bouncing when using HDMI-CEC (TV remote) on Pi3.

Can someone clarify the meaning of the following 3 settings, or link to documentation that explains them. They are located in the Input Devices > HDMI-CEC setting menu

Remote button press delay before repeating

Remote button press repeat rate

Remote button press release time

In 2022 it has been difficult if not impossible to buy a Raspberry Pi 4 (or even 3) at RRP. My supplier is showing a lead time of 30/10/2023

Most of the reasons are well-known - global chip shortage, etc. Some reasons are less-well known or speculative. But they point to a turbulent company and uncertain future as far as hobbyist customers are concerned.

All good things must come to an end, perhaps Pi4 is the final Raspberry Pi platform with large Kodi userbase. If a Raspberry Pi 5 launches in this enviroment, and it is impossible to buy, I cannot imagine developers wasting time to support it when the future is so uncertain.

What are your thoughts on the future of Raspberry Pi as a Kodi/LibreElec platform?

Some TVs store unique picture settings for each framerate/resolution.

What I mean by this is that I adjust the picture settings (on TV) to my preference when Kodi is outputting 1080p60. Now I play a movie and the Kodi output switches to 1080p24 ... all of a sudden the TV is using fresh picture settings. I must perform the adjustment once more. And also for 1080p30.

And the picture settings can include HDMI black level.

Perhaps this is not your issue, just a guess.

The problem is quite simple - the Pi3 and Pi4 does not have enough power to software decode 1080p VC-1 with the current ffmpeg software decoder. This decoder is single-threaded.

Pi3 can hardware decode VC1 if you buy the key but LE 10 no longer supports these decoders.

If you want to use these hardware decoding, you must stay on LE 9

Pi4 does not have VC1 hardware decode at all.

The good news is that some developers are working on some NEON optimisations for the decoder. So maybe in the future it is possible to play 1080p VC1 on these platforms.

See this thread for more details:

thanks, but why is the procedure distinct for rpi3 and rpi4 ? is it risky to upgrade on rpi3 ?

In-place update between major versions is sometimes problematic, for that reason it is not endorsed.

However, I will let you into a secret - normally it works fine. Thus what I do is:

1. make a backup

2. do an in-place update

3. if there is any problems, don't come to the forum and complain, instead do a clean install

I tried LE10.0.2 on my RPi 3B+ yesterday, but the performance was not satisfactory. When I played 1920x1080P mp4 files, it was dropping frames and sometimes the video and audio were not in sync. Later I switched back to LE9.2.8. Bummer. :(

Probably the video codec was H.265/HEVC.

Kodi 18 (and previous) on RPi2/3 was capable of decoding some H265 streams up to 1080p due to very specialized decoder optimizations.

Kodi 19 cannot use these optimizations, it uses normal software decoding, therefore performance for H265 goes down significantly on these platforms.

You can read more about this elsewhere. People who need the old H265 performance should stay on LE9.

Hi,

as Gerri83, I don't get displayed the current version 10.0.2 in the available versions. I know, how to update over the command line, but I'm curious to know, if it is an issue on my side or are the updates not available on the GUI yet?

Thnx for answering

sindbad6

It is not yet available via the LibreElec settings add-on. There is usually a short delay, it is normal.

You are correct, the "Number of channels setting" has no impact on bitstreaming.

It tells the number of PCM channels to use when bitstreaming is not supported / not in use. If you have an AVR then you should set "Number of channels" to 7.1 so that a non-bitstream format (eg FLAC 7.1) is sent to the receiver as multi-channel PCM