[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• I was as kazaq's last 8.2 build and updated using the .tar file. via the .update directory.

Now when i boot up it gets stuck on the libreelec logo and doesnt go any further.

From OP

Have a read, you might already have the answer :)

• Thanks for your work.

I tested 8.90.4 and 8.2.2.3 on two boxes with s912:

H96 Pro+ and Tanix Tx92 (aka Vorke Z6)

Both works fine, 8.90.4 with few bugs at Samba drives, but with workaround it's okay.

But

Wifi / Wlan is really slow. So I can't stream from my network a testfile with ~600MB ~2mins.

So with 5ghz and even with 2.4ghz, should it work theoretically. No Problems with Lan RJ45 but at this location I don't have one.

On my other box the "Qbox S905" it's no problem to stream even bigger files like ~2GB ~2mins over 5ghz at the same place.

(Maybe an older version of Libreelec?)

hopefully someone has a solution for this problem, thanks!

Edited once, last by Jeycop: wrong version and suggestion (March 19, 2018 at 2:30 PM).

• This could be down to deinterlacing or noise reduction, have you tried turning them on/off?

Let me know how the patch goes for you.

No, it has nothing to do with noise reduction. The issue is caused by faulty round/dither options. 8.2.2.3 with the patch mentioned by wrxtasy just compiled successfully. Going to test it in the evening, results will follow.

Side note: The anti flicker/noise patch is already included in the new kernel you are using now.

• No, it has nothing to do with noise reduction. The issue is caused by faulty round/dither options. 8.2.2.3 with the patch mentioned by wrxtasy just compiled successfully. Going to test it in the evening, results will follow.

Side note: The anti flicker/noise patch is already included in the new kernel you are using now.

Nobody has ever brought this up as an issue before, is the round/dither issue a problem in the latest Nougat kernel or just with 8.2?

• GDPR-2

As far as I testet: Only with 8.2.

The flicker only appeared on S905 devices, not on S912 and it is mostly recognizable on OLED TVs. On other TVs and projectors you have exctly to know where to search for and stand next by the screen.

The noise is very very hard to be recognized on small screens (TVs). The first time I recognized it was when I compared my UHD player with my Minix U9 using my projector: I missed the sharpness of my UHD player in the picture and so went near the screen where I recognized the mentioned noise and that it even exists while playback is being paused.

This may explain why there are only a few complaints about it.

• GDPR-2 , Now with new test build everything works good on wetek play 2 :) Only sometimes when I open 4k channel (on hotbird 13e, especially Fashion 4k) I lost hdmi signal with my wetek/tv. I checked on my second sd card with Your older build 8.90.3 , this same channel and there is no problem. Anyway Big Thx :)

• GDPR-2 , Now with new test build everything works good on wetek play 2 :) Only sometimes when I open 4k channel (on hotbird 13e, especially Fashion 4k) I lost hdmi signal with my wetek/tv. I checked on my second sd card with Your older build 8.90.3 , this same channel and there is no problem. Anyway Big Thx :)

Thanks for testing, I think this is down to the new kernel, there seems to be a few issues with it.

• Let me know how the patch goes for you.

The patch for the old kernel in order to get rid of flickering/noise is now fully functional. The formerly patch from Sam's OSMC github commit which was posted by wrxtasy was not complete, so I made a new one (see attachement).

This patch also includes the new debug options (dither/round/REC709/BT2020) developed by Sam. Round for avoiding banding on S905(x) and REC709/BT2020 in order to use KodiGUI in 4k. Both needs some (not yet finished) changes to the Kodi code in order to work.

I tried to fix the green issues with e.g. 422-10Bit but was not yet succesfull. Will try some changes later.

forum.libreelec.tv/core/attachment/3325/

• Thanks GDPR-2

Everything works well except for dolby sound (Allow passthrough).The sound is interrupted when the channel is changed.

TRT 4K,Astra 19.2 Travelxp 4K,Fashion 4K and Astra UHD 4K all works well.

I am using Driver Hauppauge.

Edited once, last by crazyturk (March 19, 2018 at 9:49 PM).

• It has been a while since I built Amlogic S905 aarch64 LE 8 or 9 ...

This time again it went just fine. Solid build environment! Kudos!

... but one thing is odd : I cannot build tvheadend, in fact all below commands just do nothing:

Code
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.tvheadend
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.tvheadend42
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.tvheadend43
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.tvheadend44
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.multimedia.tvheadend
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.multimedia.tvheadend42
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.multimedia.tvheadend43
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon service.multimedia.tvheadend44

many other addons just build fine.

update

Code
    PROJECT=Amlogic DEVICE=S905 ARCH=aarch64 ./scripts/create_addon tvheadend44

seems to be the right command now, sorry ...

Edited 2 times, last by Nofan Tasi (March 19, 2018 at 10:33 PM).

• Have a read, you might already have the answer

That isn't the issue.

Besides i have updaed the build many times before on 8.2.

wrxtasy's dtb file works just fine on the new build when i do a new SD card.

I ended up reverting back afterwards because the remote.conf file doesnt seem to work on 8.90.5 either.

• The patch for the old kernel in order to get rid of flickering/noise is now fully functional. The formerly patch from Sam's OSMC github commit which was posted by wrxtasy was not complete, so I made a new one (see attachement).

This patch also includes the new debug options (dither/round/REC709/BT2020) developed by Sam. Round for avoiding banding on S905(x) and REC709/BT2020 in order to use KodiGUI in 4k. Both needs some (not yet finished) changes to the Kodi code in order to work.

I tried to fix the green issues with e.g. 422-10Bit but was not yet succesfull. Will try some changes later.

forum.libreelec.tv/core/attachment/3325/

Thanks for your efforts, it's great to see users helping in this way however I will not be using the legacy kszaq 8.2 nougat kernel anymore, the LE kernel is a more 'recent' nougat kernel and I feel our efforts would be better focused there. I have submitted a PR to add the dither/round/REC709/BT2020 options to the LE kernel link.

I will add the Kodi portion of the code to the community builds as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks GDPR-2

Everything works well except for dolby sound (Allow passthrough).The sound is interrupted when the channel is changed.

TRT 4K,Astra 19.2 Travelxp 4K,Fashion 4K and Astra UHD 4K all works well.

I am using Driver Hauppauge.

Thanks for testing, I'm aware of the sound issue with the new kernel, no eta on a fix for it yet.

That isn't the issue.

Besides i have updaed the build many times before on 8.2.

wrxtasy's dtb file works just fine on the new build when i do a new SD card.

I ended up reverting back afterwards because the remote.conf file doesnt seem to work on 8.90.5 either.

As Poida pointed out the answer is within the forums. Leia builds do not use remote.conf.