Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• I have a x96 with S905x installed with the build 8.2.3.1 from kszaq.

And I using the gxl_p212_2g.dtb device tree.

It installed and run properly, but just the remote control of the x96 doesn't work at all.

Is there anything that I miss out? Any fixes or patch I should apply?

• I have a x96 with S905x installed with the build 8.2.3.1 from kszaq.

And I using the gxl_p212_2g.dtb device tree.

It installed and run properly, but just the remote control of the x96 doesn't work at all.

Is there anything that I miss out? Any fixes or patch I should apply?

you are in the wrong thread, you need to read this thread remote.conf repository

• I have just got new Tanix TX9 Pro 3/32GB S912 box with its imnpressive specs, higher price but still good value. I see no mention of this box searching through the threads here only for the Tanix TX92 with what seems to be the same specifications except a more ventilated case with a power button. So what if any is the difference as they are both the same specs from all I can see and even some say they both have 3G DDR4 and others say one or the other or both have 3G DDR3, so that is the only vague differences I can see. Not sure even which one is th enewer of the two as difficuolt to search for the answer getting unclear results.

Okay I can say that the TX9 Pro works extemly well with the S912 LE 8.2.2.3 firmware with no freezes and no obvious problems. In fact it runs very well and seems faster than my TX7 S905X 2/32GB box. Both by the way are running LE 8.2.2.3 off of the same type fast Class 10 SD cards and I have one similarly running 8.2.3.1 on another S905X Beelink box. However, and no matter what 1Gb Ethernet port device tree I use (and many wont work) my Gigabit LAN switch indicators never shows a 1Gb connection only the usual standard 100GB. Tried a few 100 Mb LAN port device trees and these will not even boot, so I am pretty sure my box does have a gigabit port as it says in all the adverts but no hard evidence to show when runnign the box. Same even with the newer 8.2.4.1 LE firmware on the TX9 Pro. Can anyone explain why this is ?? For my LAN with my fast NAS drive the Gigabit LAN port on this box would be good for watching stored 4K movies, and some with HDR too, streamed over my Gigabit LAN as I believe I need at least 120 Mbps and ideally a little more with HDR and 5.1 audio too.

• I have just got new Tanix TX9 Pro 3/32GB S912 box with its imnpressive specs, higher price but still good value. I see no mention of this box searching through the threads here only for the Tanix TX92 with what seems to be the same specifications except a more ventilated case with a power button. So what if any is the difference as they are both the same specs from all I can see and even some say they both have 3G DDR4 and others say one or the other or both have 3G DDR3, so that is the only vague differences I can see. Not sure even which one is th enewer of the two as difficuolt to search for the answer getting unclear results.

Okay I can say that the TX9 Pro works extemly well with the S912 LE 8.2.2.3 firmware with no freezes and no obvious problems. In fact it runs very well and seems faster than my TX7 S905X 2/32GB box. Both by the way are running LE 8.2.2.3 off of the same type fast Class 10 SD cards and I have one similarly running 8.2.3.1 on another S905X Beelink box. However, and no matter what 1Gb Ethernet port device tree I use (and many wont work) my Gigabit LAN switch indicators never shows a 1Gb connection only the usual standard 100GB. Tried a few 100 Mb LAN port device trees and these will not even boot, so I am pretty sure my box does have a gigabit port as it says in all the adverts but no hard evidence to show when runnign the box. Same even with the newer 8.2.4.1 LE firmware on the TX9 Pro. Can anyone explain why this is ?? For my LAN with my fast NAS drive the Gigabit LAN port on this box would be good for watching stored 4K movies, and some with HDR too, streamed over my Gigabit LAN as I believe I need at least 120 Mbps and ideally a little more with HDR and 5.1 audio too.

RayW, I'm curious to see if you have resolved this issue, as i am looking to purchase the same box. Any update?

• Greetings,

I want to buy a S912 or S905X box but I don't know wich brand to choose.

I need a box that supports libreelec with 4K HDR 10 bits (running ISO) and passthrough of DTS-HD / DD+ audio.

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks.

• I'm looking for an S912 box and saw the Mecool M8S PRO L, which in almost every category looks great and with dual boot Netflix would work. What I can't understand is why Mecool would build it with 10/100Mbps Ethernet. This makes no sense except to save a $1 or 2. Has anyone bought this box and used a gigabit adapter with it?

• I would say that performance should be as good with a S905x box (video cores are less on the S912 and the CPU clock is throttled to 1.5Mhz) - but future support for S905 chips will be more reliable as we move towards a V4L driver.

Shoog

• If you want Gigabit Ethernet for reliable 4K HDR Bluray REMUX streaming AND long term AMLogic Kodi Linux support the best platform at the moment is the S905D.

Which just so happens to be the internals of the new Gigabit Vero4K+ as well, minus the TV tuner.

Otherwise the cheap S912's will get you as far as Kodi v18 Leia with a decent bit of snappiness at the moment, unless workaround GPU drivers can be found/hacked again to progress further than Leia. I again suggest Gigabit equipped S912 devices if you do not need to dual boot.

By the release of Kodi v19 M, likely a year or more away from this point in time, tech will be cheaper again or something new and faster will be released. Intel 4K HDR Linux might even be viable by then - maybe !

• If you want Gigabit Ethernet for reliable 4K HDR Bluray REMUX streaming AND long term AMLogic Kodi Linux support the best platform at the moment is the S905D.

Which just so happens to be the internals of the new Gigabit Vero4K+ as well, minus the TV tuner.

Otherwise the cheap S912's will get you as far as Kodi v18 Leia with a decent bit of snappiness at the moment, unless workaround GPU drivers can be found/hacked again to progress further than Leia. I again suggest Gigabit equipped S912 devices if you do not need to dual boot.

By the release of Kodi v19 M, likely a year or more away from this point in time, tech will be cheaper again or something new and faster will be released. Intel 4K HDR Linux might even be viable by then - maybe !

I have read a lot over the last few days and appreciate your comments. I can't really find a good comfort level with any of the S912's. Based on testing that some sites have done performance is marginally better, but not enough to invest in one.

Thanks guys.

• I have read a lot over the last few days and appreciate your comments. I can't really find a good comfort level with any of the S912's. Based on testing that some sites have done performance is marginally better, but not enough to invest in one.

Thanks guys.

Let us know what you go for in the end?

• Mecool KI pro has a S905D and has gigabit and SAT2 and terrestrial tuner I. Good well supported boxes. A bit more expensive but any gigabit s905 box is coming in at A similar price for less hardware.

• RayW, I'm curious to see if you have resolved this issue, as i am looking to purchase the same box. Any update?

It is cracked doggyofone as it was simply one of my stock old Ethernet patch cables I was usign was only a Cat 5 cable form the box to my Gigabit switch. Changed it for a Cat 5e (or a Cat 6 of course) patch cabel adn now bingo up comes the gigabit light on the switch and I see my full internet connection speed of 150 mbps download now on my box Arnu Speedtest utility. I did post about this fix I think. Anyway hope that helps but I find 8.2.2.3 is still the more stable build as of yet. Will switch to 8.2.4.x when it is more stable on these S912 boxes but do support the good work they are doing especially with the 4K HDR 10 bit switching.

• Let us know what you go for in the end?

Jeffers, I am going to either wait, as there is a a lot of stuff coming - ie: Rockchip Libreelec build(s), new Amlogic processors, or consider an S905D processor/box. S905D are a bit hard to find and more expensive than S912. The curious thing is that the Mecool and Magicsee units show lan as 10/100, so no 1000.

In the end, I have had lots of advice to skip the S912.

I have a 3x S812 boxes that are running great on Demetris's 8.2.2 build and he is shortly going to release Leia builds when it goes Beta. That will keep them alive until Kodi 19 I guess. I also have 1 S905X box (Mecool M8S Pro+) which runs really well and 2x S905W boxes I will likely get rid of.

So I don't need anything now but like to play with new tech.

Edited 2 times, last by doggyofone (August 25, 2018 at 6:43 PM).