Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• if just for libreelec , one S905X 2G 16G is ok , with pure linux kodi, boot from the internal storage...

• Greetings,

I am looking for a DVB-capable Common Interface (CI-Slot) capable device with ARM Chip, but it has not appeared in 4 to 5 years.

Is that so difficult?

Cost too much?

Or is there?

Best regards...

• Its a niche market you are looking at. 99.9% of all these boxes will be used as clients for a DVB server or simply as a IP streaming/media viewer. The market share would just be so small that no one would put in the effort of making one. The best you can hope for is a Mecool Ki or a VIM2 with VTV, or one of the WETEK's - and then add a USB CI-Slot for that functionality.

If you wait you will probably die before your request is met.

Shoog

• Its a niche market you are looking at. 99.9% of all these boxes will be used as clients for a DVB server or simply as a IP streaming/media viewer. The market share would just be so small that no one would put in the effort of making one. The best you can hope for is a Mecool Ki or a VIM2 with VTV, or one of the WETEK's - and then add a USB CI-Slot for that functionality.

If you wait you will probably die before your request is met.

Shoog

Greetings,

Dude, I understand you very well. The market is small, of course, which makes device manufacturers think small.

But with all my heart I believe that many people will take devices.

The devices you mentioned are WP1, WP2 and Mecool K1 Pro.

The K1 Pro is a really nice device.

USB CI-Slot does not exist.

First, I get it.

Here I am calling to the hardware manufacturers, such a hardware needs the entire market.

E2. Android, ELEC, etc. do not notice.

Best regards...

• small question for experts: all my bedroom tvs are fixed by low profile supports to the wall. those low profile supports barely have free space however it's enought to hide a s905x box. with the box sit behind tv it's impossible to control it with normal remotes. is there any usb IR extender thats works? Thanks

• small question for experts: all my bedroom tvs are fixed by low profile supports to the wall. those low profile supports barely have free space however it's enought to hide a s905x box. with the box sit behind tv it's impossible to control it with normal remotes. is there any usb IR extender thats works? Thanks

eBay is full of them ;) Works like in this picture

• Yes, but retransmitter easily fits behind tv next to the box...

For RF I use Rii8 mini keyboard. In fact, it's my only remote for everyday use.

Besides Rii8 I sometimes use original remote just to turn ON the box...

• Hi, everyone

I'm trying to decide between a Minix U9 or Khadas Vim 2 for a dedicated Libreelec box. I'm leaning towards the Khadas since I don't need a remote (everything in my HT is setup to work with Harmony) nor wireless.

wrxtasy, your input in particular would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ricardo

• Hi,

No Idea about the Vim2. But I doubt it will be as easy to get LE started as just flashing a SD card / USB Stick and then simply holding down the box's power button for 6 seconds or longer to start LE installation.

The U9 (and U1) has the best thermal management out of all the AMLogic devices simply due to it's massive heatsink.

Very handy for GPU Overclocking.

There are U9 sellers that only package the cheap IR remote. No need for the Wireless one if it's not needed.

Harmony remote support:

Minix u9-H Remote setup for Logitech Harmony

I've copied the LE data partition to faster internal U9 eMMC flash storage, makes for a snappier Kodi setup.

And occasionally dual boot to an Android TV ROM for 1080p Netflix, because the U9 has L1 DRM and HDCP 1.x to enable that.

• The U9 (and U1) has the best thermal management out of all the AMLogic devices simply due to it's massive heatsink.

Very handy for GPU Overclocking.

There are U9 sellers that only package the cheap IR remote. No need for the Wireless one if it's not needed.

Is there Android update to 7.1.2 for U9, because I see only versions with 6.x?

• the vim2 is a great piece of hardware but has no heatsink so runs hot. Also it has only two usbs which is a bit limiting. Its possible to add a dvb s card which can be useful if you need it.

Its cheaper than the u9, but she n you factor in the need for a decent power supply the difference is slim.

I would go with the MINIX.

Shoog

• I've downloaded the file

Code
    LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.tar
    https://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/8.2/8.2.3.1/LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.tar

and copied the file to my Scishion V88 Pro (S905X) Update library via Samba. Rebooted and now it only shows me the start screen with the S905 Chipset - no boot any more. What have I done wrong? LibreELEC was flashed into the internal NAND on this box...

I've tried to flash the file on my two WeTek Play 2 boxes - the upgrade failed, it shows me an error message, that this Rom is not compatible with the aarch64 structure of the WeTek Play 2.

Would be great to receive help in both cases - thank you!

• I've downloaded the file

Code
    LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.tar
    https://kszaq.libreelec.tv/s905/8.2/8.2.3.1/LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1.tar

and copied the file to my Scishion V88 Pro (S905X) Update library via Samba. Rebooted and now it only shows me the start screen with the S905 Chipset - no boot any more. What have I done wrong? LibreELEC was flashed into the internal NAND on this box...

I've tried to flash the file on my two WeTek Play 2 boxes - the upgrade failed, it shows me an error message, that this Rom is not compatible with the aarch64 structure of the WeTek Play 2.

Would be great to receive help in both cases - thank you!

Do you mean, the update folder? not update library? If you can't get network/ssh access you might be better off, creating a new image on sd card, then when happy, installtointernal

Note, this thread is choosing a box, you really need to post a new thread