Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• I "solved" similar problem on another box (X92) by installing "script.advanced_power_menu-1.0.1"

From that addon if I choose "Reboot to LibreElec" it normally reboots to LibreElec on SD card. Choosing "Reboot to Android" from the addon, at first nothing happens, but if I then choose the option "Reboot to LibreElec" - then my box reboots to Android :)

Maybe it works for you...

Still the same. Looks like my device doesn't support this function....

• Still the same. Looks like my device doesn't support this function....

There appears to be changes upstream which appears to have broken executing shell commands from inside Kodi, looking into it.

Selecting reboot from internal and then reboot appears to work for now.

I have no idea what box you have nor do i know what version you are on because you are one of many who can't be bothered creating a signature.

• I want to buy :
      • a stable S905X box, cheap but not flaky
      • from reliable seller, perhaps geekbuying(?)
      • with 802.11 ac, BT4.0, 2GB ram, 16GB emmc
      • Android with few security issues,
      • kszaq's build of LibreELEC
      • booted from SD card,
      • using internal memory for data,
      • maybe SD card for data,
      • maybe install an Android TV ROM ?
    • this is the claim by the vendor for "MXQ Pro+" at $37.
    • Any advice ? (noob...)
    • P.S. : the word "f e m a l e" is censored ?

General

• Model: MXQ Pro+
    • Operating System:
      • Android 7.1.2

Hardware

• CPU: Amlogic S905X Quad-core Cortex A53
    • GPU: Penta-Core ARM Mali-450
    • RAM: 2GB DDR3
    • ROM: 16GB EMMC Flash
    • WiFi: 2.4G & 5G
    • Bluetooth: BT4.0
    • Camera: N/A
    • File System:
      • FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
    • Interfaces Radio
      • WiFi: 2.4G IEEE 802.11 b/g/n & 5G IEEE 802.11 ac
      • Bluetooth: BT4.0
    • Interfaces Electrical
      • Interfaces:
        • 4*USB2 (support U DISK and USB HDD)
        • 1*HDMI2.0 (4K*2K @ 60Hz)
        • 1*10/100M
        • 1*SDHC
        • 1*AV
        • 1*DC 5V @ 2A
        • 1*SPDIF
    • InterConnects Mechanical
      • InterConnects :
        • 4*USB A "f e m a l e"
        • 1*HDMI2.0
        • 1*RJ45
        • 1*SD
        • 1*AV
        • 1*DC
        • 1*SPDIF

Media

• Video :
      • Codec :
        • HD MPEG1/2/4,H.265,4K-HD,
        • HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6
        • RealVideo8/9/10
        • 4K@60 Hz video decoding 10-bit HEVC and AVS+ codec support
        • H.264 up to 4K 30 Hz
      • Container :
        • Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/wmv/asf/flv/dat/mpg/mpeg
      • Subtitle :
        • SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX+USB
      • 3D :
        • Hardware 3D graphics acceleration
    • Audio :
      • Codec :
        • MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
    • Picture :
      • HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF

I own this particular box (bought via g33kbuying). The provided Android rom causes significant stuttering issues during video playback (video files vs. TV refresh rate conflict, could be related to the TV model per se), so I installed the generic LibreELEC build (8.2.3.1 Amlogic s905 + 2/16 tree img) by kszag and it works perfectly. I only use it for 1080p/4k HEVC 10bit playback from the USB stick, but the wi-fi, KODI add-ons and the other functions normally work according to my brief testing.

Everything is smooth, works with original TV remote controller, I highly recommend it!

Went from cheap useless Android-powered TV box to fairly capable multifunctional device!

• I was looking at the X92 TV Box for LE 4k HDR content. I see gearbest has a 3G 32GB version for $90, this seems a little high or is that about right for this box. They also have the 16GB one for $86.

I would just go with the 2G 16GB version because LE does not need much, but only Aliexpress has that for $70, but I do not want to wait 3-4 weeks for this to arrive.

Also if there are any other recommendations for a box around $90 or less. This will strictly be for LE and I need 4K HDR and DTS-MA/TrueHD audio compatibility, I do NOT need android access.

Edited 2 times, last by raidflex (February 27, 2018 at 7:13 PM).

• Also if there are any other recommendations for a box around $90 or less. This will strictly be for LE and I need 4K HDR and DTS-MA/TrueHD audio compatibility, I do NOT need android access.

Amlogic s905x or s912x theoretically support 4K HDR, but not on LibreElec (see here, "4K support is experimental. 3D and HDR are not supported, i.e. they might work but I don't provide support."). I guess you could by any TV Box with these chipsets, just be careful with the WiFi chip and gigabit Ethernet (if important). My Tanix Tx7 works good (I have no HDR or 4K TV to test though).

• Amlogic s905x or s912x theoretically support 4K HDR, but not on LibreElec (see here, "4K support is experimental. 3D and HDR are not supported, i.e. they might work but I don't provide support."). I guess you could by any TV Box with these chipsets, just be careful with the WiFi chip and gigabit Ethernet (if important). My Tanix Tx7 works good (I have no HDR or 4K TV to test though).

According the the below thread the s905x and s912x do support HDR10 with LE though or am I wrong? Also I was still a little unsure about DTS-MA/True-HD audio support due to licensing.

Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware

• I have Beelink GT1 2GB 16GB 1GBIT LAN

No problems with 4K HDR ~70Mbit from NFS Windows Server, DTS-MA/True-HD downsample passthrough to DTS/DD SPDIF, max temp 54C

• I have Beelink GT1 2GB 16GB 1GBIT LAN

No problems with 4K HDR ~70Mbit from NFS Windows Server, DTS-MA/True-HD downsample passthrough to DTS/DD SPDIF, max temp 54C

The downsampling of DTS-MA/True-HD is that being done because your gear does not support those formats or because the box cannot output them? I have a decent audio system and would like to stream the highest audio quality possible.

• Simply SPDIF is an old output and its not compatible with HD audio, I have Logitech Z-5400 AVR without HDMI port.

I can recommend Beelink GT1 for 4K HDR, it looking great with LibreELEC 8.2.2.3 on my Samsung KS7000 TV.

• Simply SPDIF is an old output and its not compatible with HD audio, I have Logitech Z-5400 AVR without HDMI port.

I can recommend Beelink GT1 for 4K HDR, it looking great with LibreELEC 8.2.2.3 on my Samsung KS7000 TV.

Thanks, I will check it out and its available. on Amazon prime which is even better.

• You really want a Gigabit Ethernet equipped box if intending to playback high bitrate 4K HDR REMUX's that includes lossless audio. 100M Ethernet boxes are going to struggle with getting data into the device across a limited connection.

And for that the Gigabit Vorke Z6 / Tanix TX92 is great value!

Just add a Wireless remote !

Makes for one snappy setup.