Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• Are there any devices with a good Kodi integrated Netflix/Amazon experience, that don't require switching to Android?

I use an Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Amazon Video along with a nice modded Kodi Jarvis Fork called MrMC. I really don't use a lot of Kodi Addons so MrMC is perfectly fine and works well. Excellent TV deinterlacing for Kodi PVR usage.

It craps over anything Android TV has to offer video playback wise simply due to working tvOS auto frame rate matching for smooth video playback with virtually all Apps not just Kodi and Plex and working auto colorspace switching for SDR / HDR10 / DolbyVision. All the local IPTV Apps are tightly integrated into the tvOS / TV App as well, a LOT better than Android TV.

Then simply buy an AML LibreELEC Kodi Krypton companion device if you want the full blown Krypton Addon and Skin experience.

You will not get smooth 1080p Netflix or Amazon Video using any of the LE Kodi Leia / alpha Addons on any AMLogic device. Max. 720p only. Dedicated Apps for such services are much easier to use and have more bling anyway.

• Hi

Do you have to "root" the box first before you can ssh/putty to it? what's the password (for root?) to login via ssh?

Does CEC work? i.e. can the volume buttons on the remote change the TV volume?

the ssh commands I use to the first time booted LibreElec on the SD root/libreelec for login. Before you have to make the basic configuration (the guided) and activate ssh. CEC works inside Libreelec and Android.

One Thing I never got working inside android: automatic frame sync. Not for Youtube, nor Netflix nor Kodi (offical stable releases)

Edited 2 times, last by flyingernst (January 2, 2018 at 10:17 AM).

• That table must be from someone with really bad eyesight. I watched "Pacific Rims" the other day and when the stream switched from 1080p to 4K, everybody noticed even if we sat 3m from the TV.

Over xmas, I was at my sister's place. We watched some netfix-hd 3m from her 70" TV. Man, it was disgustingly ugly! 3 metres from that 70" Sharp, only 4k stuffs look good.

That table is only a Guide. It is not a table for Netflix which has too many variables in delivery of streaming Bitrates.

They use their own algorithm to deliver content based on available bandwidth you have and that is also governed by you ISP.

Deals between ISP'S and Netflix is another hidden factor in how this affects the quality of your viewing movies.

Using Netflix Streaming to compare 1080p and 4K CONTENT, you are not aware of how Netflix bitrates work.

You were probably watching that Pacific Rims movie Bitrate at 3 to 4 Mbps with 1080p.

When you switched to the 4K it probably changed to 12 to 14 Mbps bitrate.

They prioritise bandwidth for 4K.

Play the same movie via a high1080p bitrate file and then see what Netflix is dishing out.

• Hello everyone, I ve been busting my head for a whole month trying to find a suitable box to replace my RPi 2 that can't handle x265.

I need a box that:

1. Can handle 1080p x265 without stuttering
    2. Can be turned off and on with the remote without having to unplug and replug the power cable like the RPi(Already own a wireless remote like the Rii ones)
    3. Can handle libreelec
    4. An ethernet port
    5. I love the idea of the fancy digital clock but I guess its pretty rare in good boxes like MECOOL ones?
    6. L1 Widevine. I guess from all amlogic boxes only Mecool one's have this. Currently not watching netflix but might in the future.
    7. Not looking to spent a fortune here but also want something that will last
    8. Something M8S Pro+, BB2 Pro, Pro L? Vorke Z6 plus, Tanix TX9 PRO? Sunveil T95Z?
    9. Whats the difference between the BB2 Pro and the Pro L?

Thanks a lot.

Could someone help out here?

• it was Netflix at my sis's place but I use GooglePlay to watch 4K/HDR Movies at home. I don't know the bitrate of GP's streams but YouTube 4K streams to my TV at 60Mbps, I'd guess it's the same for GP. That's 60Mbps in VP9 (which is almost as efficient as HEVC) vs the typical BR's 30Mpbs in AVC.

The kids watched WonderWoman and Spiderman's homecoming yesterday. I was curious and watched the (37MB and 28MB) BR rips of the movies just to compare. It wasn't even close. The 4K/HDR streams has noticeably more details (the colours are way better too, but that's HDR). The 4K picture is just better at 3m from the TV. Not night and day, but significantly better to my eyes. Even the kids agreed.

Edited 2 times, last by bogolisk (January 2, 2018 at 2:39 PM).

• Can you turn boxes like the M8S Pro L and BB2 Pro on and off using a remote? Am looking to replace my RPi as a libreelec device and looking for a box that will not force me to unplug and replug the power cable everytime I need to use it.

• I have MeCool BB2 pro ( 3gb ram running android 6.1), I keep seeing references on this thread to the "MeCool K11 pro " are they the same or at least similar boxes ?, I tried flashing it with libreelec today ( I have flashed boxes and Rpi's many times over the years ) , but it didn't appear to read anything on the SD card , am hoping it was the card at fault , before i go out and buy another card can someone please confirm that this box is flashable using the cocktail stick method ?

I spotted a thread about this "reboot to libreelec " app on the playstore but that wouldn't work either. I don't want dual boot its purely for kodi.

• kostaman , I used the libreelec sd card writer to try and flash libreelec onto the box , I chose the default arm version , not exactly sure what your saying sorry ?

• M8S Pro L (S912) here with the community build from kszaq. Is it normal, that the video goes black for a moment and "switches", when the resolution from the media differs from the resolution of the display. My display ist 1920x1080 / 1080p with 60hz. Even when i play a 1080p file the resolution switches/the display goes black for a second or two.

Is that normal behaviour and it works like it should or is it possible to optimize sth?

• My display ist 1920x1080 / 1080p with 60hz. Even when i play a 1080p file the resolution switches/the display goes black for a second or two.

Is that normal behaviour and it works like it should or is it possible to optimize sth?

That is a Refresh rate changing to match the movie/stream.

If you play a movie 23.976fps your screen will momentarily blank whilst the switch to 24hz occurs.

Or a stream that is 50hz will switch from your 60hz gui settings to 50hz.

You will see these settings under video.

• I have been using a generic x96 s905x box (2g/16g) variant for a while and quite happy with its video/audio quality for mostly 1080p streaming. However, it has bugged me from day one that it becomes unresponsive if left idle and then requiring a power unplug. I usually switch it off and then power back when needed. Takes 10-15 seconds to reboot from microsd card. I would prefer to leave it on or sleep for quick power on.

I am thinking of getting something else which is more stable. Any recommendations? I need pure LE/Kodi box. I use Apple TV for Apps. Thank you.

• I am thinking of getting something else which is more stable. Any recommendations? I need pure LE/Kodi box. I use Apple TV for Apps. Thank you.

Most S905X boxes are stable - I own two S905X and one S912 - running 24/7 - no sleep/supend -> stable

Did You try a fresh install using a new, fast SD card ?

BTW:

Apple TV is stable -> KODI on Apple TV -> MrMc

I will buy Apple TV 4k soon - best Hardware, best OS - but high price(I have to ask Jill)