S905 builds - general discussion

• I'm just hoping Kszaq is able to fix the memory problems , everything else i know will eventually get addressed by him or other devs.

Just leaving the box on for 2 days my MXIII has already used 60% ram, same config on a Rpi2 and ram sits at 15% when idle the MXQ would have frozen by now.

My uptime is 11 days, 20h and I'm at 52% memory used (389MB out of 742MB). Running 7.0.2.003 on A95X with S905 and 1GB RAM.
    [hr]

Hey everyone... new to this forum! I came here through a link from the amlinuxmedia.com which was from an openelec thread for my mxq pro 4k box which i have openelec installed. Although the functionality of it works pretty good, i have been experiencing freezing from time to time, especially when quickly navigating through movie and show menues and especiay through 3rd party addon menus. Im reading this probably has more to do with memory usage issues.

Now a friend also has had some experience with libre and recommended it as he says that its more routinely developed so i thought id give this a shot.

With all of this asaid, i tried the SD card method and was unable to as there is no "toothpick" method availabe for my box and the only way to reboot into recovery is through ADB. However, when I do this, it goes into that android recovery screen and doesnt "see" or read any filed contained within the card. There some mention on this thread about using BACKUP&RESTORE app, but i dont seem to have this? Am i missing something?

Any help would be infinitely appreciated!

Chris

Did you look in the My Apps section in Android? It should be there. Mine was called Update and Backup. I have the same mxq pro 4k v1 box as you and had to use the Update and Backup app to get it to load the script. I could probably try to find the apk for it if you need it.

Edited once, last by goofball (August 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM).

• Hey thkas for the quick repsonse.. any you can pint me to? I know (or have heard) that Android firmware is very specific to that Andoid box and putting anyting other than that would brick it? Is this the case?

I have the MXQ PRO 4K v1

If its the blue board with the date 1511 then you can use hugsun_s905_mxq_20160304.img.

Do a google search and you should be able to find it, you will need the usb burning tool

• My uptime is 11 days, 20h and I'm at 52% memory used (389MB out of 742MB). Running 7.0.2.003 on A95X with S905 and 1GB RAM.
    [hr]

Did you look in the My Apps section in Android? It should be there. Mine was called Update and Backup. I have the same mxq pro 4k v1 box as you and had to use the Update and Backup app to get it to load the script. I could probably try to find the apk for it if you need it.

Huh..interesting... ill have another look tonight when i get home, but if you can point me towards an APK that would be great as well! Thanks again
    [hr]

If its the blue board with the date 1511 then you can use hugsun_s905_mxq_20160304.img.

Do a google search and you should be able to find it, you will need the usb burning tool

thanks man! ill give this a shot..

Edited once, last by CarbonChris (August 4, 2016 at 4:10 PM).

• Hi kszaq

first of all thanks for a your great work !!!!

will this releases also be "ported" to kodi 17 ( krypton ), or is there some neassary kernal etc etc that need to be fixed from other people

/ Regards

Stainlessdk

• Hi kszaq

first of all thanks for a your great work !!!!

will this releases also be "ported" to kodi 17 ( krypton ), or is there some neassary kernal etc etc that need to be fixed from other people

/ Regards

Stainlessdk

Let the man finish with Kodi 16.1 (LE 7.0) so its nice and stable, i'm sure he will work on Kryton (LE 8.0) once its released and LE is stable on the s905.

No point in asking him about software that isn't even released and the fact we don't even have a stable release by Kszaq.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (August 4, 2016 at 4:27 PM).

• The Amlogic memory management issue is now solved for you guys?
    Symptoms (in my case): Memory usage always increasing by a small ammount with every new video play, memory not released after video playback stopped,
    with every new video playback extra memory is added, resulting in freeze after a day or two ( or in an hour or two, depending on how one uses the player.... )

It has been proposed today in amlinuxmedia forum by alex a solution that would free up memory:

Code
    sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

Said to work via cron job that could run daily...
    I dont know much about linux, so i m just mentioning for you gurus, maybe it can be included in future builds until a propper fix in amlogic linux code
    Maybe a script can keep an eye for memory load every few minutes, and run when > 70% or something .. dunno :S

Edited once, last by infoalter (August 4, 2016 at 6:18 PM).

• Really hoping that command worked, but it didn't do anything to my ram usage.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (August 5, 2016 at 3:40 AM).

• In my test it does not work either, drops RAM usage by 2-3 percent

I have also read tutorials about tuning virtual RAM in linux, came to conclusion the problem shoud be dirty pages, resources cannot be set free by drop_caches. So, i have also been testing performance for long time last night with settings like

Code
    echo 10 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    echo 15 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
    echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio

None of those really solves this problem... There is a memory leak that needs to be itentified and patched, sounds like an Amlogic job to me, not a kodi issue

Edited once, last by infoalter (August 5, 2016 at 9:00 AM).

• If there is a leak, you might succeed to spot it with 'top'?

Maybe? :) Already said i dont know much, so dont ask me whats the meaning of those numbers lol
    This is at a time when i see memory 77% in Kodi, so its just about to freeze, still responsive though - so for anyhting those might worth, here it is:

• I have finally found some time to try the SD install for 7.0.2.005 and I have not been able to get LE to boot.
    My MXQ Pro+ is running OE 6.95.3 from SD with balbes150's S905_autoscript. I am also running a Tronsmart Meta rom compiled by sd-robots. The original firmware was terrible. OE runs pretty well with no boot issues.
    This box has no reset switch in the AV hole, so I can't use that method. The firmware does not offer a reboot to recovery option, so I tried Quick Boot, which boots me into TWRP. I replaced the original MBOX recovery with TWRP so that I could flash sd-robots/Tronsmart Meta rom.
    I tried ADB, adb reboot recovery, the box booted into TWRP.
    I tried ADB, adb reboot recovery, with a USB with s905_autoscript and SD card with 7.0.2.005 extracted onto it - booted into TWRP.
    I tried the USB/SD combo with the S905_autoscript on the USB stick - USB OTG port, booted at the same time as the SD card - the first time it booted into Android and then went through an 18 app optimization then Andoid started. I rebooted and the box went straight to Android.
    The S905_autoscript is on both the USB and SD cards when booted - not sure if this was correct.

I would appreciate any help/advice on how to get LE to boot. I can't think of anything else to try.

Edited once, last by doggyofone (August 5, 2016 at 7:14 PM).

• Maybe? Already said i dont know much, so dont ask me whats the meaning of those numbers lol
    This is at a time when i see memory 77% in Kodi, so its just about to freeze, still responsive though - so for anyhting those might worth, here it is:

A leak is when a process holds memory it should have given back. In practice all top might reveal is memory usage for the process constantly increasing. Of course the process might claim to have a good reason for holding the memory. But typically when done with some job, one gives back resources it needed. Another possible leak happens when a pointer to some memory is reassigned before memory given back. Then memory becomes garbage. Not sure if LE linux has easy ways to detect garbage.

• I can't install IPTV PVR simple client. I am using the latest version of LibreELEC on a Mini MX. Installation always fails but doesn't say why. Probably a dependency missing. Has anybody succeeded installing this addon?

Edited once, last by Majorero (August 6, 2016 at 12:23 AM).