guisettings.xml not synced with settings in gui

• I made some changes to guisettings.xml by:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    # Editing with nano 
    systemctl start kodi

I don't see the settings reflected in the GUI but they remain changed in the xml file. I changed the minimum and maximum supported SMB level, accessible via settings/libreelec/services.

I tried rebooting and the GUI still does not reflect my changes. When I change the settings again in the GUI, nothing changes in the xml.

Is this intended? Which setting is being used?

• Why are you making changes to the Settings tool manually?

Changing the SMB level via the GUI should work just fine.

I'm trying to configure my dad's libreelec remotely because he lives 1 hour away. The only way to change such settings that I could think of was via ssh. Or are there other ways to do this? Via http I don't see these settings.

• I'm trying to configure my dad's libreelec remotely because he lives 1 hour away. The only way to change such settings that I could think of was via ssh. Or are there other ways to do this? Via http I don't see these settings.

You can try VNC...gives you access to Kodi UI remotely..

• I'm trying to configure my dad's libreelec remotely because he lives 1 hour away. The only way to change such settings that I could think of was via ssh. Or are there other ways to do this? Via http I don't see these settings.

I used to use a combination of teamviewer to my dad's pc and realvnc or similar with a libreelec vnc addon. Not very elegant but reliable, easy to set up and secure (if he has a pc).

• We have to be aware, that there are 2 section for the SMB settings in LibreELEC

One at the LE settings add-on itself and the other one in the kodi settings.

The LE settings addon can't be edited via an xml-file. The section where you have to change the kodi service settings and therefore the SMB client is correclty the guisettings.xml

I just tried that here on a vm and I change and I can't confirm the problem.

Please do it in the following way:

ssh in into your LE machine.

execute:systemctl stop kodi

then change the following lines at the guisettings.xml from

<setting id="smb.maxprotocol" default="true">0</setting>

<setting id="smb.minprotocol" default="true">0</setting>

to

<setting id="smb.maxprotocol">3</setting>

<setting id="smb.minprotocol">2</setting>

it's important that you remove the default="true" section on both

after that execute: systemctl start kodi

then check your settings and it should have minimum 2 and maximum 3

• Which setting is being used?

This depends on what you want to change. If you want to change the SMB settings at the LE settings addon, then you have to edit

/storage/.cache/services/samba.conf

and change the settings accordingly

So that's done in the same way:

1. systemctl stop kodi

2. edit /storage/.cache/services/samba.conf and change:

SAMBA_MINPROTOCOL="SMB2"

SAMBA_MINPROTOCOL="SMB3"

to whatever version you would like to use

3. systemctl start kodi

• I just checked this and in samba.conf the protocols are set to min 2 and max 3. In the GUI as well but guisettings.xml still contains samba version 1. These are the settings in the xml:

Code
    <setting id="smb.maxprotocol">1</setting>
    <setting id="smb.minprotocol">1</setting>

This is shown in samba.conf:

Code
    SAMBA_MINPROTOCOL="SMB2"
    SAMBA_PASSWORD="libreelec"
    SAMBA_AUTOSHARE="true"
    SAMBA_MAXPROTOCOL="SMB3"
    SAMBA_SECURE="false"
    SAMBA_WORKGROUP="WORKGROUP"
    SAMBA_USERNAME="libreelec"

I rebooted and stopped and started the kodi service. So in my case the xml shows the wrong settings?

• The file /storage/.cache/services/samba.conf (server) is edited via the LE settings add-on. The contents of guisettings.xml (client) are edited via Kodi Services settings. If Kodi is accessing media from something older or misconfigured that only speaks SMB1 then Kodi settings are correct. If the media host is newer and can handle SMB2/3 then it's better to use them (as SMB1 has large security holes) and Kodi settings are wrong. If media is stored on the LE device there is no need to access anything over SMB so it's irrelevant if the settings are mismatched.

• The file /storage/.cache/services/samba.conf (server) is edited via the LE settings add-on. The contents of guisettings.xml (client) are edited via Kodi Services settings. If Kodi is accessing media from something older or misconfigured that only speaks SMB1 then Kodi settings are correct. If the media host is newer and can handle SMB2/3 then it's better to use them (as SMB1 has large security holes) and Kodi settings are wrong. If media is stored on the LE device there is no need to access anything over SMB so it's irrelevant if the settings are mismatched.

Aah okay, I think I might have mixed up server and client.

But isn't it still confusing that guisettings.xml does not mirror settings/libreelec/services/samba? Or am I still misunderstanding something here?

In the end I set both server and client to use SMB 2/3, indeed to avoid the security issues.

• The Server and Client functions technically have nothing to do with each other, although in most current generation networks everything will be using SMB2/3 to avoid SMB1 so the settings will happen to be the same. The Kodi settings need a reboot (or restart of Kodi) to effect changes.