Radeon RX Vega 56 stuck at boot logo

• Hi guys.

Is there any possibility to activate more than one GPU running LibreELEC? My problem its that when I'm activating the iGPU together with my Radeon RX Vega 56 LibreELEC won't boot, it just stucks at the LibreELEC logo. If I disable the iGPU system runs just fine. Im totally new to Linux so I would be really grateful to fix this issue.

• When iGPU and eGPU are enabled, then Linux should select one. Usually it's the eGPU. I guess it's an LE bug not to do so.

To use multiple GPU's at the same time needs compatible GPU's and special driver support. I don't know your iGPU, and I bet it's not compatible to your eGPU. Generally your eGPU can be clustered (adding more eGPU's) by using AMD CrossFire.

• Thank you for the reply. The iGPU is an Intel HD630 and other one is a Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse 8GB.

They both work under Win10 without any conflicts where the Vega is the main GPU. The second OS is macOS Catalina and there you need to have them both activated to use Hardware Encoder for H264 & HEVC. Also here they both work flawlessly and the Vega is the main GPU.

Is there a way to se if it’s a possible bug in LE?

• Is there a way to see if it’s a possible bug in LE?

Stranding at the boot logo sounds like a sure bet.

We have a bug report sub-forum you can use.

It's important to follow the rules for bug reports.

Post the part of the EFI settings, which do not work for LE (enabled iGPU).

Provide a log file.

If you can login by SSH while stranding at boot logo, then the output of dmesg and lspci would be interesting.

• LE supports a single GPU being used, and if you have multiple devices the one used is determined through udev, see:

LibreELEC.tv/97-xorg.rules at master · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

^ the i915 device will be detected first, the amdgpu or radeon drivers are later. The simplest option to prevent i915 from being used is to blacklist the kernel module so it's not loaded at boot, e.g.

Code
    echo "blacklist i915" > /storage/.config/modprobe.d/i915.conf

This will prevent udev seeing the node from the driver and it should find the AMD card instead.

NB: the above assumes i915 is the module name. It's about 10-years since I booted LE on anything with an Intel GPU so check it's right first.

• Now I'm logged in to the system via ssh. I did try to paste commands from #8 but nothing happened, so now I'm stuck one again.

Did you do this?

1. mount -o remount,rw /flash
    2. nano /flash/syslinux.cfg (opens the config file with the nano editor)
    3. add initcall_blacklist=i915_init as the last line of the config file
    4. type the key combination STRG+O to write your changes into the config file
    5. type the key combination STRG+X to leave the nano editor
    6. reboot LE to see whether it as any effect
  • Did you do this?

1. mount -o remount,rw /flash
    2. nano /flash/syslinux.cfg (opens the config file with the nano editor)
    3. add initcall_blacklist=i915_init as the last line of the config file
    4. type the key combination STRG+O to write your changes into the config file
    5. type the key combination STRG+X to leave the nano editor
    6. reboot LE to see whether it as any effect

I managed to open the nano editor, but I'm not sure were exactly to copy the blacklist info. And when I type the SRTG+O I only type in the letters what am I missing? I'm confused why can't there be a LibreElec whit out this problem?

• I managed to open the nano editor, but I'm not sure were exactly to copy the blacklist info. And when I type the SRTG+O I only type in the letters what am I missing? I'm confused why can't there be a LibreElec whit out this problem?

Oh man, we are really going into the total basics now. :cry:

If you open the file with nano /flash/syslinux.cfg, then watch for file content.

If there is no content (I don't have any content at my one), you can instantly start typing this:

Code
    APPEND initcall_blacklist=i915_init

If the file already has an APPEND line, add " initcall_blacklist=i915_init" at the end of that line.

After typing, find the key Strg on your keyboard. Sometimes the key is labeled as Ctrl or Control. It's on the bottom left of the keyboard.

Press that key, and while keeping it pressed, press the O key to store the config file.

After that, do the same with the X key to leave the editor.

Type reboot and press Enter to reboot LE.

• Da Flex and others:

I'm really greatfull for your effort to try to help me. As I wrote earlierI'm totally new to Linux. I did Everything as you wrote but still the same problem. This is what my syslinux.cfg looks like.

DEFAULT linux

PROMPT 0

LABEL linux

KERNEL /KERNEL

APPEND boot=UUID=5DBE-1C09 disk=UUID=3a4bdefa-03f7-4274-bc32-a678e035269d quiet

initcall_blacklist=i915_init