LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 Beta 2

• Hi, I tried to play something in DTS HD MA and i got it decoded to 5.1, but i got 7.1. Dolby Atmos Home Cinema. When i play something in Atmos it is decoded to weird formats like 3.1 Theatre Dimensional.

My settings in audio are 2.0., enable passthrough and enabled formats under it like DTS, AC3 and E-AC3. This works for DTS-HD MA in most of the time. Weird thing is when i set 7.1 in audio setting I got a 5.1.2 sound in output which should be right, but my receiver getting no Atmos (there is a LED which should be lit if Atmos is detected (working in old box S905x).

If you have a 7.1 speaker set-up - you want 7.1 not 2.0 enabled in your sound settings.

Also if you want DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD to be losslessly decoded, you will need to disable DD and DTS passthrough, as otherwise I think it will bitstream passthrough the lossy DD/DTS core/secondary streams rather than decode the lossless DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD losslessly to PCM 5.1/7.1.

You won't get Atmos until HD Audio bitstreaming/passthrough is supported on the Pi 4B - PCM lossless decode is only for Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA - not Dolby True HD with Atmos or DTS:x. (You may - possibly - get DD+ with Atmos - but that's not intentional and usually only used for secondary language audio streams on BD/UHD BD)

If you must have Dolby True HD with Atmos, the Pi 4B isn't currently for you.

However if you want the best quality audio possible with a Pi 4B currently - disable passthrough, configure for 7.1 if you have 7.1 speakers (i.e. Front R,L, Centre, Side R, L and Rear R, L + Sub) or 5.1 if you have 5.1 speakers (note I'm ignoring 7.1.2. or 5.1.2 Atmos in this - if you have 7 speakers but 5.1.2 then configure for 5.1, if you have 9 speakers in 7.1.2 then configure for 7.1)

• [...]

Also if you want DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD to be losslessly decoded, you will need to disable DD and DTS passthrough, as otherwise I think it will bitstream passthrough the lossy DD/DTS core/secondary streams rather than decode the lossless DTS HD MA or Dolby True HD losslessly to PCM 5.1/7.1.

You won't get Atmos until HD Audio bitstreaming/passthrough is supported on the Pi 4B - PCM lossless decode is only for Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA - not Dolby True HD with Atmos or DTS:x. (You may - possibly - get DD+ with Atmos - but that's not intentional and usually only used for secondary language audio streams on BD/UHD BD)

[...]

However if you want the best quality audio possible with a Pi 4B currently - disable passthrough, configure for 7.1 if you have 7.1 speakers (i.e. Front R,L, Centre, Side R, L and Rear R, L + Sub) or 5.1 if you have 5.1 speakers (note I'm ignoring 7.1.2. or 5.1.2 Atmos in this - if you have 7 speakers but 5.1.2 then configure for 5.1, if you have 9 speakers in 7.1.2 then configure for 7.1)

Interesting, thanks for your input. I had to try right away. I used a sample with Dolby HD and DTS MA in a highly non sciency test back and forth for about 30min between 5.1 7.1 and passthrough. My reciever was set to Neural:X and the same volume through out. My speaker setup is 5.1.4

7.1 seemed to give a better enveloping surround sound than 5.1.

7.1 was also slightly better than passthrough, sounded as it might have given slightly higher volume somehow...

Highly subjective and spontaneous.

• I've upgraded my Pi4 to LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.1.502.tar and found some issues with Docker.

(using docker, linuxserver.io to support docker.linuxserver.letsencrypt).

After the upgrade the letsecenrypt add-on (which includes nginx) takes a long time to boot and docker service itself fails around 50% of the boots with a core dumped error.

Docker restarts also taking a long time and exiting many times with core dumps.

Just to be sure I've re installed everything in a new sd card, and the same issues.

I've downgraded to 9.1.501 and everything is good again with docker.

I just cannot say if it is something with docker or with libreelec 9.1.502, nor what it is.

Thanks

• I just cannot say if it is something with docker or with libreelec 9.1.502, nor what it is.

I've just installed Docker and Letsencypt on a RPi4 4G without issues. Not too sure what the issue might be with your setup, but I would uninstall Docker and letsencrypt and then reinstall.

If you still have issues:

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • As I've said, I've re installed everything in a new sd card, and the same issues - very slow docker loading docker container (in this case, letsencrypt with nginx) and failing with core dump 50% of the time.
    I will repeat the process and provide the logs.

• Same here. Before the update FireTV-Remote worked perfect. After update ist was to be reconnected but the Pi reacts with a delay of 15 to 20 seconds or not at all.

PS: I downgraded to the previous version (9.1.501) now, and FireTV-Remote works perfect again.So it has to be an issue with LibreELEC, not with the updated FW.

Mods, should I put a post in the bugs section, or do you want further info here?

• I've just installed Docker and Letsencypt on a RPi4 4G without issues. Not too sure what the issue might be with your setup, but I would uninstall Docker and letsencrypt and then reinstall.

If you still have issues:

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link

LibreELEC 9.2 Beta 2 and Docker

(replicated the issue)

Updated (again) the system to Beta 2

a) At each 3 reboots, docker fails, at least 1 time - sometimes work, sometimes don't - always working fine in beta 1;

b) Doing a "docker restart docker.linuxserver.letsencrypt" in ssh shell, takes a lot of time (compared to Libreelec Beta 1) and failing to start again.

c) System shutdown / reboot taking a lot ff time (a stop job is running for docker container .... 3 minutes) - almost immediate with beta 1

Logs from a failed docker start after system boot:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Back to LibreELEC 9.1 Beta 1 .. All is fine with docker .. no more core dumps.

(All I've made was upgrading from beta1 to beta 2 and then back to beta 1.
    (Also tried a Beta 2 fresh install in a clean sd-card)

Should I create a new thread for this issue ?

• The lastest version LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 Beta 2 did fix the problems I've had with LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 Beta 1 and a headless setup on a Raspberry PI4. Now it's working fine!

Dat Ei

• LE master branch is already on 5.3 and will bump to 5.4 soon .. but not for RPi4 which needs to remain on 4.19 until more V4L2 plumbing has been completed. Kodi is slowly inching towards HDR support. It's already possible to hack something up that works for some SoCs (not RPi4 yet) but we'd rather do it properly at a more measured pace. I'm not expecting to see "proper" HDR support for some time yet.

Appreciate the reply. Do you think 6 / 12 months or even longer?

• Team Kodi made the decision to bring forward the release for Kodi Matrix (v19) to forcibly kick-start the migration to Python3; because most of the add-on developers are sitting on their arses not-migrating their code. I'd previously expect things to play out over the next ~6 months and that would align with the original v19 not-an-agreed-schedule, but now that v19 comes early it will push HDR to v20. That said, v20 is probably a shorter development sprint than normal to compensate. Not that the word "sprint" should ever be closely associated with Kodi schedules :)

• If you have a 7.1 speaker set-up - you want 7.1 not 2.0 enabled in your sound settings.

If you must have Dolby True HD with Atmos, the Pi 4B isn't currently for you.

Hi,

thanks for answer. I always had enabled audio passthrough and wanted to do all decoding in my receiver.

So passthrough isn't supported at all?

Is there any time window when it will be supported?

Thanks.

• Hi,

thanks for answer. I always had enabled audio passthrough and wanted to do all decoding in my receiver.

So passthrough isn't supported at all?

Is there any time window when it will be supported?

Thanks.

Only DD, DTS (and possibly DD+) passthrough is currently supported (same as original Pi models)

The new Pi 4B hardware supports 8 channel 192KHz PCM (so full lossless decode of all Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA HD Audio tracks) - and should support HD Audio passthrough when the software / firmware is written to support it (which is needed for True HD + Atmos and DTS:x support)

No timescale that I'm aware of. Until then it's lossless decode (which should be audibly the same unless your AVR does metadata driven processing - after all you're just moving the PCM decoding process from your AVR to your Pi - it has to happen somewhere in the chain)

If no serious bugs appear that the final version of LibreELEC 9.2 should be available with the release of Kodi 18.5 in approximately 2 weeks.

Looks like Kodi 18.5 was released on the 18th November, so hopefully it won't be long now...?

• Still some internal debate about whether we punt 9.1.503 (with 18.5) to include some less-tested fixes, or go for 9.2.0 .. but you'll get something soon regardless - although this is allegedly a hobby and people have proper jobs, so be patient please :)