[S905] Device trees

• Dumb question, but we can't just grab the DTB.IMG from our firmware and use that instead for LibreElec, right? Since my Minix box has so many issues booting, would not the DTB from Minix themsevlves for my latest bootloader be the best to use?

• I've just bought the same box (Tops MX V 2GB/GB) and spent hours attempting to load different LE firmware versions/device trees to finally deduce that only the gbxx_p201 device tree works for this box.

I have run the Android CPU Z app which reports the box has 2GB of RAM and Kodi running under Android reports 1280MB of free memory so I presume it must have!

Hi bluetin

I'm assuming you are running the 1GB dtb for the p201?

Can you check avaliable ram in system kodi?

• Hi bluetin

I'm assuming you are running the 1GB dtb for the p201?

Can you check avaliable ram in system kodi?

Hi moka88

708MB free out of 815MB (106MB used) using vanilla build of 7.0.2.012 and gbxx_p201.dtb.

I have edited the device tree source, compiling it to try different variations but have had no luck producing one that loads and gives 2Gb.

I've extracted and decompiled the dtb.img from the Android system but that source also specifies a memory size of 1GB. I know Android sees the full 2Gb and must be coded to resize the RAM size. I assume it is the Android firmware bootloader (u-boot?) failing when the device tree (dtb.img) specifies a memory size of 2GB. I wonder if booting with LE/1GB on NAND and LE/2GB from SD would work or have you tried this?

Just for reference I haven't found an online update to the Android firmware - the version on my box is p201-userdebug 5.1.1 LMY47V 20160902 release-keys.

I presume users of other 2GB S905/X boxes with LE can see the full 2GB - would be good to know for sure and what boxes work!

• I've extracted and decompiled the dtb.img from the Android system but that source also specifies a memory size of 1GB. I know Android sees the full 2Gb and must be coded to resize the RAM size. I assume it is the Android firmware bootloader (u-boot?) failing when the device tree (dtb.img) specifies a memory size of 2GB. I wonder if booting with LE/1GB on NAND and LE/2GB from SD would work or have you tried this?

If you have decompiled the stock Android device tree and it specifies 1gb ram, then that is strong evidence that you have 1gb ram.
    The Android seeing 2 gb of ram is probably spoofed in the Build.prop
    Basically a fake ram reading trick by the seller is the likely answer.

• If you have decompiled the stock Android device tree and it specifies 1gb ram, then that is strong evidence that you have 1gb ram.
    The Android seeing 2 gb of ram is probably spoofed in the Build.prop
    Basically a fake ram reading trick by the seller is the likely answer.

Couldn't see anything in the build.prop relating to RAM size but I take your point that it could be faked in Android.

Thanks

• dtb from Tronsmart Vega PRO 1GB RAM S905 Gbit network and some wifi in attachment

can somebody compare it with gxbb_p200_1G_1Gbit_RealtekWiFi ? size is little bit different ... i usining this and i dont know if it is correct, i have this boxAndroid MX PLUS Amlogic S905

compactible and same hw like Trosnmart Vega Pro

some info also there: MX Plus TV Box Review: Android TV Box powered by SoC Amlogic S905 • AndroidTVBOX.eu

• I have a Nexbox A95X with the S905, *not* the S905X. With a 16gb/2gb setup.

I used the gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb in the .009 build and wifi and bluetooth worked great.

I upgraded to .012 and grabbed the new gxbb_p200_2G_100M.dtb from the device tree for that build and bluetooth doesn't work.

Any idea why? I've tried toggling BT/WiFi off and on. WiFi still works no problem. Bluetooth shows no devices. Should I be using a different DTB?

• 708MB free out of 815MB (106MB used) using vanilla build of 7.0.2.012 and gbxx_p201.dtb.

I have edited the device tree source, compiling it to try different variations but have had no luck producing one that loads and gives 2Gb.

[...]

Just for reference I haven't found an online update to the Android firmware - the version on my box is p201-userdebug 5.1.1 LMY47V 20160902 release-keys.

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I bought an MX V as well thinking it would have 2 GB RAM and a 1 Gbit ethernet port.

Neither of which seems true. The box only boots LE using the gxbb_p201.dtb and not the gxbb_p201_2G.dtb.

Also, I cannot connect it at 1 Gbit. I used the Android version of Iperf against my Synology NAS and I only get 94 Mbit.

ethtool in LE shows it's only connected at 100 Mbit. Also, LE is acting weird with the MAC address. It starts with "C0:FF:EE". In Android, the MAC address looks "normal".

I've attached the dtb.img from the original firmware. Is there an easy way to read it and check the real hardware specs of my box?

• I'm in the exact same boat as you! I bought an MX V as well thinking it would have 2 GB RAM and a 1 Gbit ethernet port.

Neither of which seems true. The box only boots LE using the gxbb_p201.dtb and not the gxbb_p201_2G.dtb.

Also, I cannot connect it at 1 Gbit. I used the Android version of Iperf against my Synology NAS and I only get 94 Mbit.

ethtool in LE shows it's only connected at 100 Mbit. Also, LE is acting weird with the MAC address. It starts with "C0:FF:EE". In Android, the MAC address looks "normal".

I've attached the dtb.img from the original firmware. Is there an easy way to read it and check the real hardware specs of my box?

Hi

I've decompiled your dtb.img into mxv.dts (device tree source) and as expected it is identical to mine.

I've also attached some DTS files decompiled from 7.0.2.012 dtbs for you to compare (I used WinMerge).

My two attempts at a dtb (gxbb_p201_1Gbit.dtb) to enable 1 Gbit ethernet loaded LE. First attempt shows the same results from ethtool as you got - 10Mb or 100Mb offered.
    The second attempt (dts/dtb attached) resulted in LE changinging the fixed IP address from 192.x.x.x to 169.x.x.x - at which point I gave up.

I'll be returning my box to Amazon UK and start the search again for a 2Gb box from a reputable seller.

mxv.zip

• I've decompiled your dtb.img into mxv.dts (device tree source) and as expected it is identical to mine.

[...]

I'll be returning my box to Amazon UK and start the search again for a 2Gb box from a reputable seller.

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble to decompile my dtb.img.

If I read the mxv.dts file correctly, the box indeed has only 1 GB RAM (usable memory ends at 0x3f000000 and should end at 0x7f000000 for 2 GB).

Also, the ethernet information shows "rmii" while a 1 Gbit dts file shows "rgmii" (I assume the "g" stand for Gbit?).

I bought my box from an Aliexpress seller for about 30 euros, so it's not a real big loss. But I'm still going to complain. When I first got the box it was totally unstable, until they finally sent me the 20161009 firmware to flash and now it turns out the box doesn't have the promised specs.

• Hi dear kszaq,

First of all thanks for your efforts. I'm running your LibreElec 7.0.2.005 build on my KIII S905 device, and I'm happy with it. But I would love to update it to one of your newer releases. Unfortunately, none of the releases after 005 build does work on my device. It just doesnt boot, it just doesnt go past the Amlogic S905 boot logo. I've tried every device tree out there, but none seem to work. When I revert back to 005 build, it works like normal. I'm using an external sd-card to boot LibreElec.

I think none of the newer DTB.img are compatible with my device. It's a KIII bought from AliExpress but I think there are different models of this KIII device. It has 2gb ram and 16gb internal memory with 1gbit ethernet. I've attached the stock rom dtb.img . Hope you (or someone else) can help me out with a working dtb.img so I can keep using and updating your firmwares. Thanks a lot in advance!

• My Leelbox Q1 master

Box works with gxl_p212_1g.dtb but wifi not works at all. I grub from android all dmasg, and as I can read uses bcm wifi, so I guess it's a problem of this dtb because I read a comment about from amlogic kernel here gxl_p212_1g.dts at line 385.
    I hope this helps to fix issue.

• Haven't seen anything posted for this box yet:

Docooler TV Box
    Model M9SPRO
    p/n V2322US
    S905
    3Gb RAM
    32Gb NAND

Would LOVE to be able to run LibreElec on this instead of running older Kodi under Android 5.

Thanks for anything you can provide! AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!!!!!

Here is the file:

• Hi dear kszaq,

First of all thanks for your efforts. I'm running your LibreElec 7.0.2.005 build on my KIII S905 device, and I'm happy with it. But I would love to update it to one of your newer releases. Unfortunately, none of the releases after 005 build does work on my device. It just doesnt boot, it just doesnt go past the Amlogic S905 boot logo. I've tried every device tree out there, but none seem to work. When I revert back to 005 build, it works like normal. I'm using an external sd-card to boot LibreElec.

I think none of the newer DTB.img are compatible with my device. It's a KIII bought from AliExpress but I think there are different models of this KIII device. It has 2gb ram and 16gb internal memory with 1gbit ethernet. I've attached the stock rom dtb.img . Hope you (or someone else) can help me out with a working dtb.img so I can keep using and updating your firmwares. Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi Merziyas,

I was just about to update my KIII device with Krypton LIBREelec (7.0.3.012i), so I was reading to find a correct tree for my device. It looks like I have exactly same configuration as you (LIBREelec 7.0.2.005 on SD card for KIII device) and based on your experience I have stopped my approach. Have you found or received from somebody the correct working tree for our device? If so, do you mind to share it?
    Thanks in advance.

• The device tree you attached is for device with 1GB RAM. Either is wrong or your device fakes RAM amount.
    [hr]

Hi Merziyas,

I was just about to update my KIII device with Krypton LIBREelec (7.0.3.012i), so I was reading to find a correct tree for my device. It looks like I have exactly same configuration as you (LIBREelec 7.0.2.005 on SD card for KIII device) and based on your experience I have stopped my approach. Have you found or received from somebody the correct working tree for our device? If so, do you mind to share it?
    Thanks in advance.

You can first try running one of the newer builds from a separate SD card. There you can change dtb.img as many times as you want without making any change to your device or risking a brick. I would recommend trying gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb.

Edited once, last by kszaq (February 21, 2017 at 8:40 AM).