Posts by bluetin

Latest data:
    For usb to ethernet I've used a Edimax usb3.0 usb-to-ethernet adapter. The 4k's played very smoothly.

Hi

I have now installed LE 7.0.3.0012 on eMMC and speedtest stills reports a download speed around 3.5Mb whereas for Armbian on a SD card it is 35Mb.

However I have also run a wget of 100Mb file from LE and Armbian and both report a download rate of 4Mb/s.

My box with LE only buffers occasionally so perhaps I shouldn't be worrying about speed testing.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

By the way, how fast it's your microsd card?
    I have a SanDisk Ultra 16Gb 80mb/533x UHS-I, I'm happy with it. Never did a speed test with the box. I"ll run some tests and be back with data.

I'm using an unbranded 16Gb Class 10 microSD card for my testing.

I don't think the SD card is the issue as I've loaded Armbian 5.24 from that card and speed tests report download speeds of 35Mb i.e. the same as I was getting with Android.

LE ~7.9 running on a Asrock N3150 Beebox. 54Mbps internet connection :

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # speedtest-cli
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Testing from Orange (86.213.194.38)...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by TestDebit.info (Limoges) [189.94 km]: 222.683 ms
    Testing download speed........................................
    Download: 49.40 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed..................................................
    Upload: 14.59 Mbit/s

Just fine !
    Could have been up to the 54Mbps but the kid viewing a 1080p cartoon at the same time.

Run from LE 7.0.3.012g on Bqeel X8T (S905X 2G/16G 100M).

[hr]
    LibreELEC:~ # ./speedtest
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from BT (146.198.185.202)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. (London) [28.08 km]: 29.669 ms
    Testing download speed...............................................................................
    .Download: 7.58 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed....................................................................................................
    Upload: 1.86 Mbit/s
    LibreELEC:~ #
    [hr]

Still nowhere near what's achieved using Android on the same box.

With the LibreELEC builds and OE 7.0.1, are you using only an SD card to run the OS as well as a download location?
    With Android, are you downloading onto the internal eMMC/NAND disc?

That would explain some of the differences.

The LE/OE builds are running from the SD card and Android from internal eMMC. Would it explain a five fold difference though?

The Kodi addon uses the Ookla Speedtest which I presume would just discard the downloaded data rather than attempt to write anything to disk.

I've just repeated the test using a Windows/Kodi laptop and the result is the same as the Android tests - 35Mb.

I am wondering why there appears to be a significant difference in download speeds between using LE and Android when running speed tests of my 37Mb internet connection.

LibreELEC - download speed around 7.5Mb

I have tested the following combinations, all of which produce similiar results:

- Bqeel X8T (S905X 2G/16G 100Mb) and LE 7.0.2.009, LE 7.0.3.0012g, LE 7.9 beta4 - all fresh installs booted from SD.
    - RPi2 and LE 7.0.3
    - RPi2 and OpenELEC 7.0.1

Android - download speed around 35Mb

- Bqeel X8T and Android 6.0
    - Amazon Fire TV box

In all my tests the box is hardwired using the same cat5 cable and the same Kodi addon to perform the speedtest.

Has anybody else experienced such a difference in download speeds between LE and Android?

I'm in the exact same boat as you! I bought an MX V as well thinking it would have 2 GB RAM and a 1 Gbit ethernet port.

Neither of which seems true. The box only boots LE using the gxbb_p201.dtb and not the gxbb_p201_2G.dtb.

Also, I cannot connect it at 1 Gbit. I used the Android version of Iperf against my Synology NAS and I only get 94 Mbit.

ethtool in LE shows it's only connected at 100 Mbit. Also, LE is acting weird with the MAC address. It starts with "C0:FF:EE". In Android, the MAC address looks "normal".

I've attached the dtb.img from the original firmware. Is there an easy way to read it and check the real hardware specs of my box?

Hi

I've decompiled your dtb.img into mxv.dts (device tree source) and as expected it is identical to mine.

I've also attached some DTS files decompiled from 7.0.2.012 dtbs for you to compare (I used WinMerge).

My two attempts at a dtb (gxbb_p201_1Gbit.dtb) to enable 1 Gbit ethernet loaded LE. First attempt shows the same results from ethtool as you got - 10Mb or 100Mb offered.
    The second attempt (dts/dtb attached) resulted in LE changinging the fixed IP address from 192.x.x.x to 169.x.x.x - at which point I gave up.

I'll be returning my box to Amazon UK and start the search again for a 2Gb box from a reputable seller.

mxv.zip

If you have decompiled the stock Android device tree and it specifies 1gb ram, then that is strong evidence that you have 1gb ram.
    The Android seeing 2 gb of ram is probably spoofed in the Build.prop
    Basically a fake ram reading trick by the seller is the likely answer.

Couldn't see anything in the build.prop relating to RAM size but I take your point that it could be faked in Android.

Thanks

Hi bluetin

I'm assuming you are running the 1GB dtb for the p201?

Can you check avaliable ram in system kodi?

Hi moka88

708MB free out of 815MB (106MB used) using vanilla build of 7.0.2.012 and gbxx_p201.dtb.

I have edited the device tree source, compiling it to try different variations but have had no luck producing one that loads and gives 2Gb.

I've extracted and decompiled the dtb.img from the Android system but that source also specifies a memory size of 1GB. I know Android sees the full 2Gb and must be coded to resize the RAM size. I assume it is the Android firmware bootloader (u-boot?) failing when the device tree (dtb.img) specifies a memory size of 2GB. I wonder if booting with LE/1GB on NAND and LE/2GB from SD would work or have you tried this?

Just for reference I haven't found an online update to the Android firmware - the version on my box is p201-userdebug 5.1.1 LMY47V 20160902 release-keys.

I presume users of other 2GB S905/X boxes with LE can see the full 2GB - would be good to know for sure and what boxes work!

I'm starting to think you may be right. The dtb's that came with the device do state 1GB of ram...

I will test a few things tonight/tomorrow with the dtb's you supplied to see if I can find out.
    [hr]

Sounds like a good idea, let me know how this goes.

I've just bought the same box (Tops MX V 2GB/GB) and spent hours attempting to load different LE firmware versions/device trees to finally deduce that only the gbxx_p201 device tree works for this box.

I have run the Android CPU Z app which reports the box has 2GB of RAM and Kodi running under Android reports 1280MB of free memory so I presume it must have!