[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• Something has gone very badly wrong with my LE 8.90.4 since yesterday. It keeps crashing on channel switches in TVH, and it will not launch any of the addons. It will not change skin without crashing (I am running Mimic) . It was relatively fine until yesterday.

Update: I reinstalled the update file for LE 8.90.4 and this seems to have restored all functions.

update: I switched back to Estuary skin. It seems that some auto update broke the Mimic skin. I am still getting lingering crashes when switching channels in TVH especially if it is just coming out of an addon. Seems it might be a reversion on the frame rate switching issues that the build was experiencing previously. If there is anything I can do to provide useful logs for this let me know. At the moment LE 8.90.4 is definitely less stable than 8.90.2 and if things degrade again I will probably roll back to 8.90.2.

It also crashes when launching the Libreelec Config Addon whilst a TVH stream is playing, I think this is a long standing bug.

Update: TVH server has stopped working and I cannot reinstall it based upon unmet dependencies.

Update:After a reboot I reinstalled TVH successfully.

Shoog

Edited 2 times, last by Shoog (March 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM).

• my 7.1 AVR does not support Dolby HD/TrueHD Atmos 7.1 through ARC passthrough. unfortunately, when turning off passthrough, the channel mappings are wrong: for any speaker configuration >5.0 there's no sound from the front speaker.

the debug log seem to indicate that the front center (FC) and subwoofer (LFE) are switched:

(the problem seem to happen on all multichannel audio formats, not just Atmos streams - but my AVR supports the other formats via passthrough)

this is on a 905x (mecool m8s pro plus) using the 8.90.4 build.

Edited 2 times, last by heldchen: added more log entries (March 4, 2018 at 2:36 PM).

• my AVR does not support Dolby HD/TrueHD Atmos 7.1 through ARC passthrough. unfortunately, when turning off passthrough, the channel mappings are wrong: for any speaker configuration >5.0 there's no sound from the front speaker.

the debug log seem to indicate that the front center (FC) and subwoofer (LFE) are switched:

this is on a 905x (mecool m8s pro plus) using the 8.90.4 build.

Don't turn off passthrough, just disable DTS-HD & Atmos in Kodi Audio settings;)

• Don't turn off passthrough, just disable DTS-HD & Atmos in Kodi Audio settings;)

yeah that is exactly what I meant with "turning off passthrough": I only disabled the formats that my AVR does not decode. this results the decoding to PCM with the wrong channel mapping for AML-M8AUDIO (using the TrueHD channel check from Samples - Official Kodi Wiki test file)

I suspect the problem might be related to using PCM over ARC to feed the AVR (mecool => lg tv => sony avr). when connecting the box directly to the AVR (mecool => sony avr => lg tv), PCM decodes properly. was hoping to not have to switch the devices as the AVR cannot handle 10bit HDR video. :(

Edited 2 times, last by heldchen (March 4, 2018 at 3:27 PM).

• yeah that is exactly what I meant with "turning off passthrough": I only disabled the formats that my AVR does not decode. this results the decoding to PCM with the wrong channel mapping for AML-M8AUDIO (using the TrueHD channel check from Samples - Official Kodi Wiki test file)

I suspect the problem might be related to using PCM over ARC to feed the AVR (mecool => lg tv => sony avr). when connecting the box directly to the AVR (mecool => sony avr => lg tv), PCM decodes properly. was hoping to not have to switch the devices as the AVR cannot handle 10bit HDR video. :(

If channel settings = 2, than than you should get DTS & Dobly Digital Not PCM!

• my 7.1 AVR does not support Dolby HD/TrueHD Atmos 7.1 through ARC passthrough

None of the AVRs supports HD audio on ARC (Audio Return Channel). The tv boxes have no ARC on HDMI they only send the av data.

HDMI 2.1 will bring eARC which will support HD audio.

• None of the AVRs supports HD audio on ARC (Audio Return Channel). The tv boxes have no ARC on HDMI they only send the av data.

HDMI 2.1 will bring eARC which will support HD audio.

yeah... I was hoping that when the box sends the data as PCM encoded audio, the TV would just forward it through ARC without doing more stuff to it. unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

anyway, I understand now that it is not a libreelec/amlogic bug. thanks all for your input and info!. for now, getting a HDR capable AVR seems to be the only way to enjoy both TrueHD and 10bit HDR at the same time.

• I have a s905x box, splitter, Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR and TV.

Made a modification of the hdmi cable from the splitter to the AVR.

On TV I watch HDR content and AVR is playing TrueHD and DTS-MA.

You are very lucky with your AVR. It has only HDMI 1.3 connector but fortunately can get the audio from the much higher bandwidth signal.

My AVR has HDMI 2.0 connector but no audio if I send HDR (with masking the DDC pins).