[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• LE 8/KODI 17 works and will work in future
    LE 9/KODI 18 works and will work in future to

Quote from Metallica

Nothing else matters

Maybe KODI 19 will not work on S905, S905X and S912 - Don´t matter now.

• As I understand now that is an upgrade from 8.9.11a. So I did this. But now Inputstream and TVHeadend client got deactivated. How do I repair it?

8.9.11a was fabulous regarding Blu-ray subtitles. Are this benefits integrated in this version too?! I feel like not.

• It depends on you (you, adamg, raybuntu...), or basically it has to be done on baylibre side?

It requires the whole vdec part to be rewritten almost from the scratch to properly support V4L2. I don't think Adam, Ray or me have that deep knowledge to do this, it certainly requires involvement from Amlogic (and perhaps BayLibre if they're contracted to do this part).

• Not precisely. It is quite possible that S9xx (i.e. S905, S912 and so on) will get v4l2 in mainline kernel. For now most of S905/912 pieces are already supported in mainline, the main thing that is lacking is hardware decoding support. When this happens, we will finally be able to use mainline kernel on our devices.

What will be dropped are 8726MX, S805, S802 and S812 devices as they're very unlikely to get full mainline support.

I very much doubt this will ever happen kszaq, you know what has gone on behind the scenes as much as I do so to suggest otherwise is giving false hope to users, the money from Amlogic to BayLibre has dried up and S9xx is not the core business of Amlogic, it doesn't make them any money any more and we are asking them to go back and support and pour more money into legacy products that they have already moved on from, if the numbers from chewitt are to be believed then there is not even that many people using Amlogic products when compared to the likes of the RPi.

On your comments regarding mainline... some audio work missing and all of the hardware video decoding is missing from mainline, it is not a case of 'when' this will happen it is more of a case of 'if' it will happen, I doubt BayLibre will do this work pro-bono as then Amlogic would have no reason to contribute more towards them.

• I wonder, how many of us will be using S9xx boxes in 2-3 years time, when Kodi 19 is released...

This is the point I have been trying to make within LE circles for some time, there is far too much talk on the 'future' within LE rather than talk about the here and now, my own thoughts are lets concentrate on things now and worry about what will happen in the future when we come to it.

I have been trying now for almost 2 months to get a lot of the work for S9xx upstreamed into LE for something that took me just under a week to do in a private fork, it is extremely frustrating for me and a lot of it is people being pedantic and dancing around specifics that really should not matter.

2 great examples of just some of the things I have heard that have held things up.

Do we really want to add support for a box that is mainly used for piracy...
    Do we want to add support for something that Chinese companies will undoubtedly advertise as supporting

This is what I find most frustrating as views like this are contradictory to the open-source model and more in line with a business model which is one of the arguments and points I have had made recently internally. There is so much more that is not public knowledge and this only the tip of the iceberg of problems I have encountered.

Do we really want to add support for a box that is mainly used for piracy...

I was not aware that the RPi(or any other hardware) impedes piracy, see, every day I can learn new things.

For me the s9xx are the cheapest dvb-s2 receivers I found and livetv works like a charm with kodi.

• I was not aware that the RPi(or any other hardware) impedes piracy, see, every day I can learn new things.

For me the s9xx are the cheapest dvb-s2 receivers I found and livetv works like a charm with kodi.

Anything can be used for piracy, it doesn't matter what we do and it is not our job to impede or prevent it, there is plenty of people who are paid for this work and to be fair I'm sure we have all dabbled in it at some point in our lives so I do not think this should even be a point for discussion, I certainly remember the good old days of recording songs off the radio onto cassette tapes so I can say I'm not innocent.

• I think the main question is: Who "owns" LibreELEC? Some people already knows the answer. And because of this situation is what currently we have and see here. If this would be (more) open project than this amlogic stuff could be already in without much discussion (of course not damaging other devices). Instead we have bunch of different builds from different people. Which is very bad and totally unnecessary.

• Instead we have bunch of different builds from different people. Which is very bad and totally unnecessary.

Actually we have Krypton builds from me and Leia builds here. I think there is acceptance to have Amlogic support in master LE branch, the thing that really requires work is getting rid of the hackfest (I'm mostly responsible for it...) as much as possible.

• Hello

Yesterday I installed TVH from repo but I found an important problem.

I can lock and watch DVB-C mux, but when I zapping to another channel from another mux, the tuner stop to receive signal. If I restart the service with systemctl restart tvheadend42.service, start to work again.

I downloaded the some version in my PC (I have got TBS tuner) and no bug is present.

• Actually we have Krypton builds from me and Leia builds here. I think there is acceptance to have Amlogic support in master LE branch, the thing that really requires work is getting rid of the hackfest (I'm mostly responsible for it...) as much as possible.

This is not totally true, it is only recently that collaboration has been combined recently to reduce the fragmentation and confusion as there was builds from Gendo before I started and there was also builds for S912, I have tried to communicate with all developers to collaborate together on a single source as I believe this is better for the community, more can be accomplished when we work together than when we work apart.

The above goes for you as well kszaq I would like to see some of your work being pushed upstream rather than me having to follow your changes every week, cherry pick and then push, it is very time consuming and also somewhat frustrating, even more so when you forget to push your changes at all and one of us has to poke you to remind you.

I think the main question is: Who "owns" LibreELEC? Some people already knows the answer. And because of this situation is what currently we have and see here. If this would be (more) open project than this amlogic stuff could be already in without much discussion (of course not damaging other devices). Instead we have bunch of different builds from different people. Which is very bad and totally unnecessary.

I know that recent problems are not exclusive to just Amlogic and that you have experienced issues with the iMX6 project vpeter which I'm sad to hear about, there is still issues that need to be resolved but nothing will happen overnight, the only thing we can do is try and work together and encourage FOSS standards or walk away.

• Hello

Yesterday I installed TVH from repo but I found an important problem.

I can lock and watch DVB-C mux, but when I zapping to another channel from another mux, the tuner stop to receive signal. If I restart the service with systemctl restart tvheadend42.service, start to work again.

I downloaded the some version in my PC (I have got TBS tuner) and no bug is present.

Are you sure you are using the same version on your PC because the version included with this build is 4.3-843 which is still pre-release.

• How difficult is porting tvheadend server to Android?
    I guess the code has to be compiled with android ndk and a custom kernel with dvb modules too?

I read that Wetek has been(or was) working on it.

What would be the advantage of a tvheadend server installation on android? I have problems with Android because the HW deinterlacing doesn't work under Kodi. With Libreelec everything runs smoothly.