Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• That begs the question, what's the difference between S905D2/X2 and S922!

Mbox - Amlogic openlinux

HDMI 2.1 support will be a big difference if it makes it into those two chipsets, but then new displays & audio equiptment will also need to be purchased as well.

I'm not sure what "AVS2-P2" is, it could be hardware decode support of the upcoming AV1 video compression format.

AMLogic are part of the Alliance for Open Media, who are developing the new Open Sourced AV1 video compression format.

• Official Post

No Idea about the Vim2. But I doubt it will be as easy to get LE started as just flashing a SD card / USB Stick and then simply holding down the box's power button for 6 seconds or longer to start LE installation.

Khadas products have the best support for all multi-boot options from any media.

The U9 (and U1) has the best thermal management out of all the AMLogic devices simply due to it's massive heatsink.

Very handy for GPU Overclocking.

What material of the case is plastic used ?

• Dear All,

I have a ZTE ZXV10 B860H, please advice to me which one libreelec that suitable for my android TV box. Thank you in advance

because I already tried with LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.2.3.1 and gxl_p212_2g.dtb (already rename to dtb.img) but still can not boot from my tfcard. What's wrong..

• Pretty correct.

If the ZTE box is a Google Certified Device running Android TV OS, which then also includes proper Chromecasting capabilities. It is very likely the device will have to have a locked bootloader to get Google certified in the very first place.

Same issue the Android TV - S9xx boxes - Xiaomi Mi Box and the Vodafone TV (Australia) have.

Because of that locked bootloader you cannot get LibreELEC to even startup and install.

You can test out if a device has a locked Bootloader by trying to Root it. And to do that you flash the Magisk.zip from a USB stick using Android Recovery:

[2018.4.29] Magisk v16.0 - Root & Universal Systemless Interface [Android 5.0+]

• Just received the Himedia A5 S912 Octa-Core and i am very impressed with it so far most the issue i had with the Minix U9 works much better on the Himedia A5.

• I have a Tanix TX92 box running LE 8.2.4.1 and occasionally I will receive a pink screen at boot. If I power cycle the Tanix box it will be fine. Anyone else experience this issue? This is with a Samsung JS8500 TV.

• That was for information to get the connector sizes.....

5.5mm x 2.1mm / 2.5mm

I got two adapters - One 5.5mm and other 3.5mm. Unfortunately none of them would fit. 5.5mm too big and 3.5mm is too small. Am I missing something here? I tried to measure the size of hole and it seems more like 4mm. I have attached a photo. Can someone take a look and advise what adapter I should to buy? FYI. I need a power supply for Mecool M8S Pro L with a US plug. If you have a similar box, can you please tell me the adapter size? Thank you.

• Hello,

Which S905X or S912 box is best or one of the best for Streaming Movies&Series with LE in internal? Mostly Animes.

I dont really need 4k, 3d or smth else.

Im consider to buy Z69 4K with 3gb Ram or a TX5 pro with wifi ac.

Or is there a S912 which were better?

Thanks

• Hi.

I'm thinking of buying an Odroid C2 as replacement for my Raspberry Pi 3/LibreELEC and I wanted to ask you fine people a couple of questions before I go ahead.

• Will the OSMC remote work just as well as it currently does with the RPi3/LibreELEC?
    • Is Liymo.com a good place to buy the board + accessories, or is there somewhere better? I'm based in Denmark.
    • Is the eMMC 16 GB module enough for a pretty extensive library?
    • My total list of items is: C2, PSU, eMMC, Case. And for LE image installation I had the Transcend TS-RDF5 K in mind.
      Did I miss anything? Any suggestions you guys might have?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• You do not need a lot of RAM for LibreELEC.

For 1080p Anime tho you will need a S912 because none of the other AMLogic chipsets have the CPU ponies to software decode that combo.

Then you have to deal with thermal heat control because you are really going to be pushing the CPU's hard so the S912 you choose better have a good heat sink or it will very likely overheat with extended 1080p Anime usage.

You could always do some DIY and change heat sinks or add a USB fan.

• Hi.

I'm thinking of buying an Odroid C2 as replacement for my Raspberry Pi 3/LibreELEC and I wanted to ask you fine people a couple of questions before I go ahead.

• Will the OSMC remote work just as well as it currently does with the RPi3/LibreELEC?
    • Is Liymo.com a good place to buy the board + accessories, or is there somewhere better? I'm based in Denmark.
    • Is the eMMC 16 GB module enough for a pretty extensive library?
    • My total list of items is: C2, PSU, eMMC, Case. And for LE image installation I had the Transcend TS-RDF5 K in mind.
      Did I miss anything? Any suggestions you guys might have?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

16GB should be enough unless you have a massively monster Audio and Video collection.

You need the eMMC > microSDHC HardKernel adapter to attach the eMMC module to.

That combo then has to be slotted into a microSDHC > SD card adapter for flashing with a PC or Mac.

The OSMC remote will be Plug n Play compatible with LE devices.

I have LE Krypton image that can Sleep and Wake the C2 reliably when running LE too if using a USB dongle type remote.

• You do not need a lot of RAM for LibreELEC.

For 1080p Anime tho you will need a S912 because none of the other AMLogic chipsets have the CPU ponies to software decode that combo.

Then you have to deal with thermal heat control because you are really going to be pushing the CPU's hard so the S912 you choose better have a good heat sink or it will very likely overheat with extended 1080p Anime usage.

You could always do some DIY and change heat sinks or add a USB fan.

Thanks for ur answer!

I have some questions.

Whats the different when I watch Animes with 905 or 912? I dont really understand the Hardware from boxes..

Are 905 boxes not more stable for LE? I read somewhere that 905 is better for LE.

Which 912 box can u recommend?

Now I have M8s Pro 3gb. Its good on 8.2.2.3 but have always freezes with 8.2.4.1

And the box is very ugly^^

Thanks

• You need the eMMC > microSDHC HardKernel adapter to attach the eMMC module to.

That combo then has to be slotted into a microSDHC > SD card adapter for flashing with a PC or Mac.

So just to be clear. This eMMC (with the included microSD adapter) paired with this Card reader is all I need for flashing the image, correct?
    I'm sorry if being a little slow about this, but I have zero experience with eMMC.

• So just to be clear. This eMMC (with the included microSD adapter) paired with this Card reader is all I need for flashing the image, correct?
    I'm sorry if being a little slow about this, but I have zero experience with eMMC.

Aaaah sorry!

Yes you are correct that eMMC module includes the required adapter.

Your original list has everything you need.

I personally use a cheaper microSDHC > SD adapter that comes packaged some microSDHC cards these days instead of that Transcend TS-RDF5 K card reader.

• There is no way to video hardware decode the "scene" video compression used with Anime releases. You have to use CPU software decoding. Only the S912's have enough raw CPU power to do that on AMLogic hardware.

If you already have a S912 try disabling Kodi's dirty Regions thru an advancedsettings.xml file:

HOW-TO:Modify dirty regions - Official Kodi Wiki

And play some Anime.

You are still very likely to need to mod and cool any cheap S912 box when software decoding 1080p Anime for extended periods. It will be the most demanding thing you can do on a S912 box.