Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• Yoe wrote AX88178 in your post but AX88179 in the signature. The 78 is USB2 the 79 is USB3.

RPI3 1GB, Z4 RK3368 1GB, MINI MX-G 2GB, Mini M8S II (coreelec.org 9.2.1), H96 Pro (coreelec.org 9.2.1), ODORID N2 (coreelec.org 9.2.1), VIM3 PRO (coreelec.org 9.2.1), Beelink GT King (coreelec.org 9.2.1), Denon AVR-X2600H, LG 60SJ810V
    pel.hu

• It's AX88179

- Box Android Mini M8S II (Amlogic S905X, 2GB RAM, 8GB ROM)
    - Ugreen USB Ethernet Adapter Usb 3.0 2.0 [ASIX AX88179 Chipset]
    - LibreELEC 8.2 (Nougat Kernel) builds aimed at devices based on Amlogic S905/S905X SoC.

• Is there any noticeable difference in picture quality when running S905 which has Mali drivers vs S912 with Kazaq workaround?

• HW video decoding doesn't depend on Mali drivers, video quality is the same on S905X and S912.

• Hi, i have read a few stories about boxes (mecool m8s pro, mini m8s ii) being sold recently with different hardware than before. What is now the best bang for buck box? I have the x96, mini m8s ii and the beelink mini mxiii (all s905x) and all the boxes work perfect with libreelec. But I bought the boxes a time ago and I am afraid that if I buy another one (I want to give my dad and sister a kodi box) I get different hardware with a lot of issues.

• Hi, i have read a few stories about boxes (mecool m8s pro, mini m8s ii) being sold recently with different hardware than before. What is now the best bang for buck box? I have the x96, mini m8s ii and the beelink mini mxiii (all s905x) and all the boxes work perfect with libreelec. But I bought the boxes a time ago and I am afraid that if I buy another one (I want to give my dad and sister a kodi box) I get different hardware with a lot of issues.

You are correct there, with these boxes, you never know what you will get. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get........ haha

• I'm using Tanix TX3 Mini with S905W and 2GB of RAM. I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed and I'm using this tv box mainly for browsing the internet with chromium and watching youtube videos. Is there a significant improvement between S905W and S912 in terms of CPU power for browsing and watching youtube videos?. I don't use android and I only run kodi rarely. Is it worth upgrading to S912 just so that I can have a better experience browsing the internet and watching youtube ? or is there a better SoC you guys can recommend me ?

• wrxtasy

I received this morning 3 m8s pro+ without reset button and with sec 728.

I am trying to flash it by SD using the hold button 1 of remote but no results until now can someone help me?

Thanks

• I'm using Tanix TX3 Mini with S905W and 2GB of RAM. I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed and I'm using this tv box mainly for browsing the internet with chromium and watching youtube videos. Is there a significant improvement between S905W and S912 in terms of CPU power for browsing and watching youtube videos?. I don't use android and I only run kodi rarely. Is it worth upgrading to S912 just so that I can have a better experience browsing the internet and watching youtube ? or is there a better SoC you guys can recommend me ?

Does WiFi work on Ubuntu mate?

• I have buy MECOOL M8S Pro+. I would install libreelec. Its possible USB port to boot the box or only sdcard? Thanks

Edited once, last by Zorro ().

• yes, you can try usb, try all.

Samsung RU7400 Onkyo HTX22HDX Nvidia Shield HD Homerun Duo (Living Room)

Samsung UE40ES5500 H96 Pro, X96+, Fire TV 4K Stick (Bedroom)

Synology DS920+ Plex Pass

:)