Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• Yoe wrote AX88178 in your post but AX88179 in the signature. The 78 is USB2 the 79 is USB3.

RPI3 1GB, Z4 RK3368 1GB, MINI MX-G 2GB, Mini M8S II (coreelec.org 9.2.1), H96 Pro (coreelec.org 9.2.1), ODORID N2 (coreelec.org 9.2.1), VIM3 PRO (coreelec.org 9.2.1), Beelink GT King (coreelec.org 9.2.1), Denon AVR-X2600H, LG 60SJ810V
    pel.hu

• It's AX88179

- Box Android Mini M8S II (Amlogic S905X, 2GB RAM, 8GB ROM)
    - Ugreen USB Ethernet Adapter Usb 3.0 2.0 [ASIX AX88179 Chipset]
    - LibreELEC 8.2 (Nougat Kernel) builds aimed at devices based on Amlogic S905/S905X SoC.

• Is there any noticeable difference in picture quality when running S905 which has Mali drivers vs S912 with Kazaq workaround?

• HW video decoding doesn't depend on Mali drivers, video quality is the same on S905X and S912.

• Hi, i have read a few stories about boxes (mecool m8s pro, mini m8s ii) being sold recently with different hardware than before. What is now the best bang for buck box? I have the x96, mini m8s ii and the beelink mini mxiii (all s905x) and all the boxes work perfect with libreelec. But I bought the boxes a time ago and I am afraid that if I buy another one (I want to give my dad and sister a kodi box) I get different hardware with a lot of issues.

• Hi, i have read a few stories about boxes (mecool m8s pro, mini m8s ii) being sold recently with different hardware than before. What is now the best bang for buck box? I have the x96, mini m8s ii and the beelink mini mxiii (all s905x) and all the boxes work perfect with libreelec. But I bought the boxes a time ago and I am afraid that if I buy another one (I want to give my dad and sister a kodi box) I get different hardware with a lot of issues.

You are correct there, with these boxes, you never know what you will get. They are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get........ haha

• I'm using Tanix TX3 Mini with S905W and 2GB of RAM. I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed and I'm using this tv box mainly for browsing the internet with chromium and watching youtube videos. Is there a significant improvement between S905W and S912 in terms of CPU power for browsing and watching youtube videos?. I don't use android and I only run kodi rarely. Is it worth upgrading to S912 just so that I can have a better experience browsing the internet and watching youtube ? or is there a better SoC you guys can recommend me ?

• wrxtasy

I received this morning 3 m8s pro+ without reset button and with sec 728.

I am trying to flash it by SD using the hold button 1 of remote but no results until now can someone help me?

Thanks

• I'm using Tanix TX3 Mini with S905W and 2GB of RAM. I have Ubuntu Mate 16.04 installed and I'm using this tv box mainly for browsing the internet with chromium and watching youtube videos. Is there a significant improvement between S905W and S912 in terms of CPU power for browsing and watching youtube videos?. I don't use android and I only run kodi rarely. Is it worth upgrading to S912 just so that I can have a better experience browsing the internet and watching youtube ? or is there a better SoC you guys can recommend me ?

Does WiFi work on Ubuntu mate?

• I have buy MECOOL M8S Pro+. I would install libreelec. Its possible USB port to boot the box or only sdcard? Thanks

Edited once, last by Zorro ().

• yes, you can try usb, try all.

Samsung RU7400 Onkyo HTX22HDX Nvidia Shield HD Homerun Duo (Living Room)

Samsung UE40ES5500 H96 Pro (Coreelec), Fire TV 4K Stick (Bedroom)

Synology DS414 Plex Pass

:)