[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• I am a noob and am ordering the Mecool M8S Pro Plus, I would like to run it with LibreElec, but the instructions to do so seem very daunting to me. Can a Noob do it by following step by step instructions or will I be in over my head?

1) Download the image file

2) Download the device tree file

3) Download the LibreElec USB-SD creator

4) Plugin the SD or USB flash drive in your computer

5) Run the LibreElec USB-SD creator (step #3):

- a) select the image file (step #1)

- b) select the path of the SD or USB flash drive plugged in (step #4)

- c) click write image

- d) at the end of the process the USB/SD card will be recognized by your operating system and you will be able to navigate into the USB/SD drive

6) Rename the device tree file (step #2) in dtb.img

7) Navigate into the USB/SD folders (step #5-d) and overwrite the dtb.img file with the file renamed in the step #6

8.) Unplug the SD/USB drive from your computer

9) If you are using the USB flash drive, plug in on the first USB port from the top of your Mecool device

10) Unplug the Mecool box's power supply cord

11) In the front of your Mecool box you will see a tiny push button. With a toothpick push it and keep it pushed.

12) Reconnect the power supply

13) After ~30sec the LibreElec logo will be displayed on your TV. Release the push button (step #11)

Every time that the USB/SD card (created with this procedure) is plugged in your box, LibreElec will run automatically (you don't need to push the button again).

To run your android system, just unplug the USB/SD card from your box.

If you want to install permanently LibreElec in your box, follow the guide

• For KI Pro you should use "gxl_p230_k1_pro.dtb". Why do you post Kodi log if this is a hardware issue?

For KI Pro you should use "gxl_p230_k1_pro.dtb". Why do you post Kodi log if this is a hardware issue?

Thanks for the attention, I had tried with this Device Tree and it did not work, but I'll try again, I'll get another SD and format.

It does not seem to be a hardware issue because the wired network works on LE 8.0.2 and Android , it just does not work on LE 8.1.7 and LE8.1.8

• Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help. I installed librelec+Kodi to my internal nand after using it for a while from my microSD card. I now seem to be experiencing a lot of buffering from my SMB shares. If I boot from my microSD, there is hardly any buffering and it's really quick when skipping through a large mkv file. Any ideas please?

• I'm trying to update to 8.1.8 from 7.0.3.012l by copying the LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.1.8.img.gz and dtb file into .update folder. It installs the update/dtb but when it reboots it hangs on the initial splash. I have confirmed I am using the correct dtb via sdcard with 8.1.8.

I know I can just install via sdcard and installtointernal but I would prefer to update a few family members devices via the update folder.

Can anyone help?

• I'm trying to update to 8.1.8 from 7.0.3.012l by copying the LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-8.1.8.img.gz and dtb file into .update folder. It installs the update/dtb but when it reboots it hangs on the initial splash. I have confirmed I am using the correct dtb via sdcard with 8.1.8.

I know I can just install via sdcard and installtointernal but I would prefer to update a few family members devices via the update folder.

Can anyone help?

Use the tar file in the update folder not the gz file.

• Use the tar file in the update folder not the gz file.

Tried the gz, tar, & img files with the gxl_p212_1g.dtb file. I've also tried renaming the dtb file to dtb.img. I've also tried downgrading to a different LE7 build then upgrading. I've even tried to manually install dtb again via ssh console. I've re-downloaded all the img & dtb files again in case they were corrupt.

It hangs with all of these yet the sdcard boots fine. I'm totally stumped, I've done this many times in the recent past but for some reason just won't work.

• I give up !!

It is some incompatibility of my box with newer versions of LE. I checked with other owners of KI pro and LE 8.2-8.1.8 is working fine.

In my box:

Installing LE 8.0-8.0.2c with device gxl_p230_k1_pro ... success

Installing LE 8.2-8.1.8 with device gxl_p230_k1_pro .... fails, does not install

Installing LE 8.2-8.1.8 with device gxl_p231_2g_dvb .... install but do not find wired network

I even tried to install alpha version LE 9.0 and also can not find the wired network. It seems that it is some software incompatibility with my box

Thank you to anyone who tried to help me !!

• Tried the gz, tar, & img files with the gxl_p212_1g.dtb file. I've also tried renaming the dtb file to dtb.img. I've also tried downgrading to a different LE7 build then upgrading. I've even tried to manually install dtb again via ssh console. I've re-downloaded all the img & dtb files again in case they were corrupt.

It hangs with all of these yet the sdcard boots fine. I'm totally stumped, I've done this many times in the recent past but for some reason just won't work.

So I updated my MiniMX 2G (S905) from LE7 to LE8 using gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit and it boots fine, but my X96-1G & X96-2G (S905X) using gxl_p212_1g/2g.dtb doesn't boot afterwards, just stuck at the initial boot screen. Is this because my X96 boxes have a non-standard partition layout and my MiniMX does? and the the update basically needs to be applied twice to format the partitions correctly?

If so, is there any way around this?

• So I updated my MiniMX 2G (S905) from LE7 to LE8 using gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit and it boots fine, but my X96-1G & X96-2G (S905X) using gxl_p212_1g/2g.dtb doesn't boot afterwards, just stuck at the initial boot screen. Is this because my X96 boxes have a non-standard partition layout and my MiniMX does? and the the update basically needs to be applied twice to format the partitions correctly?

If so, is there any way around this?

i also use x96, no issues running 8.1.8, are you you used the updated dtb for 8.2?

• Maybe too newbie questions but i need to ask them:

1. Is it safe to write to emmc....and if i perform this would it be possible to update later on....right now i have the latest 8.1.7

2. Right now i see that everything is working....do i need that device tree?

Too hard to get an answer?

• Maybe too newbie questions but i need to ask them:

1. Is it safe to write to emmc....and if i perform this would it be possible to update later on....right now i have the latest 8.1.7

2. Right now i see that everything is working....do i need that device tree?

As you can probably see, your post got buried by tons of others...

1. Not recommended but should be safe. Yes, you can update in usual way if installed to internal.

2. To be on the safe side, always use a device tree.

• Yes I'm using the latest dtb and I'm trying to update via the update folder from LE7.0.3 to LE8.2. Is this how you updated your X96? or did you use sdcard method?

also used the update folder, my upgrade path was LE7 to LE8.0 to LE8.2, i just used the .tar and dtb to upgrade.

• Hi all,

Wondering if someone can help. I installed librelec+Kodi to my internal nand after using it for a while from my microSD card. I now seem to be experiencing a lot of buffering from my SMB shares. If I boot from my microSD, there is hardly any buffering and it's really quick when skipping through a large mkv file. Any ideas please?

Bumping my post. Anyone had this issue?

• I want to install libreelec to internal after running it for a while from microsd card. Just curious if there is any difference in speed.

But if I install to internal, am i still be able to boot from microsd card if I insert a microsd card with a different version of libreelec? Or do I need to revert back to android first and than install libreelec on micro sd card the normal way (power+reset button).