This thread is specifically targeting 10bit output, HDR, and 10-8bit dithering support (fixes the "color banding" issue posted around on nougat krypton builds). This testing started in kszaq
's "full Nougat" kernel preview thread, however developing on top of a kernel with unknown preexisting issues was getting difficult. This work was then rebased on top of kszaq's existing nougat-experiment, but has since moved back to the nougat-wip branch ("full nougat" kernel).
These builds are only possible because of kszaq.
A summary of what was discovered in the "full nougat" thread:
- Output issues may be related to hdmi cable quality, or these devices really aren't made equal. If you have issues, I first recommend trying a higher quality 2.0a cable. If you go through an AVR, also try replacing the cable from your AVR to your TV. We're making progress, so this issue won't be around forever. However, these issues have yet to be fixed, so if you had output issues in the previous 8.0.1x nougat releases, you'll have issues here too.
- We must set display mode to properly pass colorspace changes. As such, kodi is now patched to reset matching display modes: for instance if GUI is at [email protected], and a bt2020 video is [email protected], the display will still reset [email protected] so colorspace is passed.
Issues fixed + changes from earlier krypton nougat 8.0.1x releases (full changelogs posted on download link):
- Colorspace is passed
- Color banding at the default 8 bit output is fixed (dithering enabled).
- Small stuff with 10 bit output fixed (e.g. setting color depth early enough for the 10-8 dithering and rounding checks after LE resolution switching).
- Fixed some 4k output issues some users had with the nougat kernel (improved compatibility).
- Based on kszaq's "full nougat" test kernel.
- Needs more testing
10bit output on capable hardware:
- On a new boot before any other playback has been performed, run the following: echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
- This only needs to be set once each boot, so it can be put in /storage/.config/autostart.sh
- This shouldn't affect any 8 bit output either and can be set unconditionally (as above).
- Testing has been very limited thus far.
If you have an older display and needed output_rgb, please use the following instead of the old interface:
echo 'rgb,8bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr
Device Trees (must be updated due to "full nougat" kernel)
^Missing from above: gxl_p230_KI_Pro.dtb provided by @afl1