Posts by johngalt

Found them. My bad. :)

P.S.: I'm wondering if we will ever see fully functional upstream kernel support (including the video decoding functionality). Would be awesome!

I think it will happen sometime :)

Hi johngalt

do you think RGB issue can be fixed in 8.2 ?

Thanks in advance !

Yes, but i'm not sure of the exact issue. It seems to be fixed without the amports reverts that fix some playback bugs.

Sorry I've been off for awhile, had real life and other projects require significant attention. I currently recommend kszaq's 8.2 builds over these, all changes here have been merged in. Regarding the leia builds, I stopped using them because of instability but may maintain the branch and push some builds. I still need to update this OP.

Yes, that will set 10 bit output at all time, but it's not an issue while playing back 8 bit videos. When 10 bit output is enabled there is also no 10->8bit dithering used. This is all possible in kszaq's 8.2 builds as well.

mmpp , here's a rgb test build (to be set in the same way).

Release 8.2-rgbtest · amillogical/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

It's built off kszaq's current tree with a kernel patch. When you first reported issues with force_rgb and the attr method worked for you, we still had the following commit in kernel: drivers/amlogic/hdmi: set video color parameter as well with forced o… · amillogical/[email protected] · GitHub

I had reverted it along with the sysfs interface commit immediately after your report, but in hindsight should have only reverted one.

My LG-TV does not show that it recognizes a HDR-file. If I play the files via a USB-disk connected directly to a HDMI-port of my TV, the

TV says 'HDR input recognized'. That is not the case when the files are played with Kodi/C2 to the same HDMI-port..

Thanks for any advice!

Only s905x+ support HDR, and the better HDR->SDR conversion (a nonstandard hack) also depends on s905x+.

Checked this evening, colors changed after several files were played. Dmesg:

OEYM

Given how intermittent this bug is, I wonder if setting it this way ever worked. That's the only change that could be responsible for breaking it within the last few LE8 testing releases.

Do you remember approximately what testing release you were running prior?

The only other way this could've been fixed in other releases, is if you were running one of the "nougat-exp" builds (labeled as "exp" on releases).

Is it possible to set the HDMI Out to RGB Color space? /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/output_rgb does not exist anymore. However, there is a setting in /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/config that refers to Color Space:

Code
    1. abox:/sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0 # cat config
    2. cur_VIC: 16
    3. cd = 4
    4. cs = 2
    5. audio config: on
    6. 3D config: off

The setting in question is "cs", a value of 0 would be RGB. But writing to it always leads to a "write error: Bad address". Any idea how to accomplish this?

There's a new way of setting it, but it's broken in the current build (and I broke it). Once kszaq reverts aml/video_dev: updates for nougat: · kszaq/[email protected] · GitHub for the next build, you'll be able to run the following for forcing RGB out:

echo 'rgb,8bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

If you don't have anything in autostart.sh yet, you'll be able to run the following to set it on boot:

echo "echo 'rgb,8bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr" > autostart.sh

I'm glad to hear it. It causes problems for some people even on hardware that can support it depending on their setup, so it's not a good default. The 10 bit on 8 bit media isn't a problem, and to be expected :)

Could you try setting it before you play anything, or put it in autostart.sh (located in .config) and reboot? If you never added anything to autostart, you can run the following: echo "echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr" > autostart.sh
    If this doesn't work, I'll need to see a log. Do you have refresh rate switching enabled (it should be).

I know there was a handshake issue with your denon receiver, so I wonder if it's unable to read 10bit support (will see in a log).

kszaq , awesome work, thank you! I broke the forced rgb output support with the following commit, and recommend a revert for now: aml/video_dev: updates for nougat: · kszaq/[email protected] · GitHub

With this reverted, you can set echo 'rgb,8bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr in autostart.sh to recreate the force_rgb behavior.

I also recommend merging PR15 of your LibreELEC.tv repo into libreelec-8.2 so colorspace can get passed if mode is the same.

Note: for users who want 10 bit output, you may set the following in your autostart.sh:echo '444,10bit' > /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/attr

plikmuny ssh into your box and run those commands (top to verify, bottom to set). That tearing photo is also nothing like what I expected when you mentioned it awhile back; I expected "screen tearing" in the traditional sense.

mmpp I'll fix the rgb issue in the next build (know the issue).

olive069 S912 support is easy on both the LE9 and LE8 branches, there's just one patch I need to update to fix the build.