[RESOLVED] S905X Krypton: Frame skips on high bitrate videos

• Resolved in:
    - 8.0.1k-l
    - 8.0.1l
    - 8.0.1l-mm
    Thanks to afl1 and kszaq!

Videos with a high(ish) bitrate trigger frame skips in Krypton.

Device type:
    S905X
    Build:
    8.0.1j (and previous)
    Device:
    Mini M8S II 2GB/16GB

How to reproduce:
    Play high bitrate video and monitor PlayerDebug for frame skips.

Sample:
    view?usp=sharing

Specs from sample video in log:

Support logs:
    Attached.
    "Only one" frame was skipped in this 5 minute sample.
    However, frame skips seem to occur more frequently on bigger files.
    For instance, skips are more common on the 36GB donor file for this sample.

• One frame skip is not bad at all, considering that the drop may have occurred at the very beginning of the file. I am constantly seeking a way to minimize frame skips but considering my lack of knowledge and how Krypton deals with video playback, it's a tedious task. I am now experimenting with some ideas that afl1 brought with his builds.

• Yes, I understand.

This is why I mentioned the donor file.
    I chose Rogue One, because I saw ~15-20 frame skips when I let the original 36GB file run for 15 minutes.

The first frame skip always occurs when I open PlayerDebug, I did not count that.
    The mentioned skip in my report was definitely triggered without any input from me, approx. 3-4 minutes in.

I'm sorry that this is such a drag for you.
    I would love to see a usable Krypton, because I like the original Estuary v1 a lot.
    But I understand how much pain the AMCodec is for you, so don't let it get in the way of your real life. :)

• One frame skip is not bad at all, considering that the drop may have occurred at the very beginning of the file. I am constantly seeking a way to minimize frame skips but considering my lack of knowledge and how Krypton deals with video playback, it's a tedious task. I am now experimenting with some ideas that afl1 brought with his builds.

I gained improvement in avoidance frame skipping by increasing measurement window for VSyncOff.

Edited once, last by afl1 (May 7, 2017 at 9:08 PM).

• No, not yet.
    I think I can still squeeze that in tonight.

I'll use the full Rogue One remux again and let you know how it goes.

I just tested it.
    9 frame skips within the first 10 minutes of the movie.

• It might be, I'm not sure.
    I don't use x265 for encoding movies yet and those test videos like birds and jellyfish are just too short to be representative.

• jd17 can you please try running the latest build from afl1 from this thread: thread-2722.html

You can safely update from one of my builds and then go back, no data wipe needed.
    [hr]

No, jellyfish is very specific and well playable. Try this h265 UHD examples:
    - Samsung_UHD_7Wonders_of_the_World_Italy.mkv
    - LG_Chess_HDR.mp4

These 2 files play 100% fine on my S905 box but not S905X.

Edited once, last by kszaq (May 8, 2017 at 9:37 AM).

• Well, I considered network as a possible error before.
    It is important to me that these files play perfectly over network, because they do so in Jarvis, which means it is not a hardware limitation.

I thought the log would show if the skip is decoder or network related?
    Sorry I can't read code well enough...

The file in question has a combined max. bitrate of maybe 45 mbit/s.
    If network limits, it is a software/overhead? issue, because that is not close to the bitrate where Jarvis would struggle.

jd17 can you please try running the latest build from afl1 from this thread: thread-2722.html

You can safely update from one of my builds and then go back, no data wipe needed.

I'll do that this afternoon.

• jd17 can you please try running the latest build from afl1 from this thread: thread-2722.html

It's been playing since 18 minutes now, not a single "spontaneous" skip! :)
    (Played via LAN, NFS.)
    So kudos to afl1!
    I have two skips, but the second was triggered by pressing OK (overlay) and the first one either at the beginning or by pressing either OK for the first time or PlayDebug for the first time.

...Now 24 minutes in, no additional skips! :)
    [hr]
    Update:
    42 minutes in: 3 additional spontaneous skips. :cry:

Edited once, last by jd17 (May 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM).

• I backported the chunksize patches to 'krypton' here, and I have a matching build as well. That should improve throughput a bit, but I haven't tried to do proper comparisons yet. If you think networking is the bottleneck for you, can you give the above a try?