VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Thank you guys for helping. I was a happy user of PIA VPN service for a year and was happy with them. I came across a super deal for lifetime PureVPN and jumped ship. For months all was good until one month ago for no apparent reason, disconnection started to randomly appear.

Like I said, I am not linux-stuff-savvy enough to work my way around and get a user defined opvn file that you described. If PureVPN is that bad, I will simply pay for PIA which worked great for me. By the way, PIA apps for MacOS and iOS are very well done as for PureVPN they are next to crap.

User Defined ovpn config file is too difficult for you? I've posted it up there. You can simply copy and paste it and run the great user defined wizard, which zomboided integrated in his addon recently. It is really not that hard to do that. On the other hand I can totally understand that you want it as easy to use as possible. PIA seems to be the right choice then.

• User Defined ovpn config file is too difficult for you? I've posted it up there. You can simply copy and paste it and run the great user defined wizard, which zomboided integrated in his addon recently. It is really not that hard to do that. On the other hand I can totally understand that you want it as easy to use as possible. PIA seems to be the right choice then.

Yes I know it seems unbelievable but since it runs on my Pi3 and I do not have a clue how to use ssh I don't know how to copy-paste your lines. But thanks again.

• Unfortunately it didn't work with any of the latest versions of librrelec or openelec. It was just random that I was connecting to a Canadian server, it happens on all servers. The only way I've managed to get it to work was to install an old version of openelec with Jarvis (16.1). It will now connect perfectly to Windscribe. I can cope with this aS a temporary solution for now, I have Krypton on another card for general stuff. I wanted the VPN really for when I go abroad. I did see a post from someone that said the 2038 bug isn't a problem in the alpha version of Kodi 18 so let's hope that it's ok by the time the release is here. I don't really want to change vpn noW having paid for a year.

Hope this helps anyone having 2038 bug problems with their vpn.

• Hi, My subscription to HMA vpn is about to run out, and I wish to change VPN providers. Was thinking of going with PIA but then I read about Smart DNS Proxy Vpn. Which is best??? Is Smart Dns Vpn easy to set up with vpn manager as its not in the list.

• Hi,

First of all thanks Zomboided for your great effort. Very useful tool and worked well on my side for the longest time up to openELEC 6.95.3 and VPN Man 2.4.3.

Now due to the 2038 bug (or WIndscribe issue, which affected ExpressVPN as well) I couldn't get it working on newer OpenELEC and neither on LibreELEC, as i got that error

Code
    VERIFY ERROR: depth=1, error=format error in certificate's notAfter field:

I tried infinity85's advise (thanks!) of giving the latest milhouse build of libreelec a try (LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-9.0-Milhouse-20170602210407-#0602), since that rolled back to openSSL, and it does seem to solve the 2038 issue! This is with VPN Man 4.0.7.

But i do get an authentication error instead though:

Now, I'm not real good with interpreting code, but i did notice, that the pass.txt file that gets created with ExpressVPN does look like this, if username is xxxxxxxxxx and password is yyyyyyyyyy:

Code
    xxxxxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyy

while if i remember correctly it used to look like in early versions

Code
    xxxxxxxxxx
    yyyyyyyyyy

with a line break.

i tried to edit it but it seems to get overwritten whenever you set up a connection.

could this be the issue?

• That is showing that it's an auth problem. It always writes a line break for every provider when PASS.txt is written, this hasn't changed. You won't see it if you open a Linux text file with a Windows text editor.

• omg.... i'm dumb! didn't realize openVPN has different credentials. sorted. it all works now. thanks!

Edited once, last by tuto: moment of clearness (June 4, 2017 at 1:36 PM).

• On Milhouse nightlies for libreelec 9 since june 4th builds, vpn manager seems to be causing homescreen-blank screen loops, basically, it looks like kodi.bin is being killed.
    The end of the debug file reads the following.

Code
    12:32:38.072 T:139954648073984 WARNING: CAddonSettings[service.vpn.manager]: trying to load setting definitions from old format...
    12:32:38.074 T:139954648073984 WARNING: CAddonSettings[service.vpn.manager]: ignoring old setting definition of type "text" without id

If I remote access my device and delete the

service.vpn.manager folder in ~.storage/kodi/addons everything works fine. Until I download and install vpnmanager again.

Hopefully this is just some trivial problem that can be easily rectified.

• Hi there,

Since a couple of days, probably since I updated to 17.3 Libreelec, I get "connected, checking location info" when trying to connect to server. I am using HMA, Have re-instaleld Kodi, the addon, on 2 diffrent devices (Intel NUC).

Any idea what is going wrong?

Many thanks!