VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• For everyone seeing the lack of connections following upgrade from a 3.x version, 4.0.6 hopefully fixes this. If you've already experienced the problem, you may need to install and then use Settings/Utilities/Reset VPN provider files to clean up the mess your install is in. This should be a one hit thing with future upgrades working fine.

Big thanks to crashnz for providing the debug I needed.

If you see this problem AFTER installing 4.0.6 and resetting the VPN provider files, then get a log with debug switched on as per the first post.

If you're having other VPN connection problems, move to 4.0.6 and reset the VPN provider files to ensure you're on the latest ovpn files. Then check the Trouble Shooting guide, because that's what I'm going to ask you to do next anyway.

Thanks Zomboided, 4.0.6 has fixed it for me!

Mark

• Been using the VPN Manager for a while, changed VPN providers from PIA to PureVPN. I'm now having an issue connecting to any PureVPN vpn. I saw you requested some information from another user, so I ran the same command and here is the output.

Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 WARNING: file '/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/ta.key' is group or others accessible
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 WARNING: file '/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/pass.txt' is group or others accessible
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 OpenVPN 2.4.0 armv8a-libreelec-linux-gnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [AEAD] built on Apr 4 2017
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 library versions: LibreSSL 2.4.4, LZO 2.09
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See howto.html#mitm for more info.
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]172.111.140.2:53
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 UDP link local: (not bound)
    Sat Apr 29 17:55:59 2017 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]172.111.140.2:53
    Sat Apr 29 17:56:29 2017 [UNDEF] Inactivity timeout (--ping-exit), exiting
    Sat Apr 29 17:56:29 2017 SIGTERM received, sending exit notification to peer
    Sat Apr 29 17:56:32 2017 SIGTERM[soft,exit-with-notification] received, process exiting

• Do you get this problem with TCP connections? Or just UDP?
    And if you go to settings/debug and turn 'Check connection with ping' off and then go to settings/utilities and run 'Reset VPN provider files', do you see the same issue?

• Do you get this problem with TCP connections? Or just UDP?
    And if you go to settings/debug and turn 'Check connection with ping' off and then go to settings/utilities and run 'Reset VPN provider files', do you see the same issue?

TCP Worked.
    UDP Failed.

Reset VPN Files. Will test and let you know.

• TCP Worked.
    UDP Failed.

Hi zonboided,
    With the 8.0.3 Openelec just released, the VPN connection does not show right in VPN manager. Instead of 4 sets, the IP address shows 5 sets and location unknown.
    With 8.0.2 was working OK.

• TCP Worked.
    UDP Failed.

I made a small mod to the Pure files. It should download them automatically if you connect to the first connection again (and you're on the latest build)
    [hr]
    cle, I've no clue what you're trying to say

Edited once, last by zomboided (April 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM).

• I made a small mod to the Pure files. It should download them automatically if you connect to the first connection again (and you're on the latest build)
    [hr]
    cle, I've no clue what you're trying to say

I did reset the VPN files and using 8.0.3 Open elec, VPN manager, trying to connect using PIA, I get connection OK to Romania and IP address is:
    5.254.103.146 (sorry, my bad is only four I have to change my glasses) but the service provider is UNKNOWN.
    I get the UNKNOWN service provider to any UDP connect (even if disconnected).
    Problem for me is that I need to know the provider name.

• I get the UNKNOWN service provider to any UDP connect

I get unknown service provider most of the time using IPVanish. (UDP)
    It happens on my Mac as well so i ignore it.
    If you have to know provider look for Speedtest addon and run that.
    It will ping server and read out your service provider for that ip.

Edited once, last by kostaman (May 1, 2017 at 7:22 AM).

• jg555 can you post the ovpn file for the connection. It's in /storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/

cle the information comes from an external IP service. You can change which one is used in settings/debug, last option. If it's not reported, then I can't display it.

• Thanks yea I've been looking at the wiki. Don't think I've missed anything. As far as I can tell I don't need any crt's just username and password which I've entered. Weirdly it says I'm connected however I only get one server option and the IP is my current one.

Uploaded a log from a defaulted LE 8.0 installation just to rule any other addons out.

Can see this error:
    ERROR: Linux route add command failed: external program exited with error status: 2
    [hr]
    Just been having a trawl around and found this suggestion to add slickvpn to the OE connections which works. Now how to get it working with VPN manager.

I managed to get this working by adding this to the ovpn file:
    redirect-gateway def1

• As requested, the config file for Pure VPN London 1

client
    dev tun
    proto udp
    remote vlsa-ukl-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com 53
    nobind
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    ca /storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/ca.crt
    tls-auth /storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/ta.key 1
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    comp-lzo
    verb 3
    mute 20
    route-method exe
    route-delay 2
    route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
    auth-user-pass /storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/pass.txt
    explicit-exit-notify 2
    auth-nocache
    ifconfig-nowarn
    ping 5
    ping-exit 30
    ping-timer-rem
    script-security 2

• Compared to the PureVPN supplied files, it looks like nobind needs to go. Edit the file, delete nobind as I've indicated in green above.
    DON'T reset the povider files (as it'll revert your edit). Just edit it, flip to the GUI and try and connect to the file/location you've edited.

IF that fails, then the final 4 parameters I've added deliberately. Delete those, indicated in blue, and reconnect, once again without resetting the files.

Don't do both at the same time because I want to know what fixes it so I can make only the relevant changes.

• Removed nobind, no change.

Removed the last 4 lines and left nobind out, no change.

Put nobind in and left the last 4 lines out, no change.

No difference in the log. I've rest the files and enabled debug

Here's the output of the following command
    /usr/sbin/openvpn --config "/storage/.kodi/addons/service.vpn.manager/PureVPN/London 1 (UDP).ovpn" --verb 6 > /run/openvpn.log